Eye tests

special1

I'm interested to know if in the UK having diabetes automatically qualifies you for free eye tests... not the yearly retinopathy things, but your common or garden vision eye test. Googling seems to give me contradictory advice, and in the midst of the blitz of information you get when newly diagnosed (I've not been long an 'official' diabetic), I have not yet asked my doctor. My feeling from what I've read is that we're not automatically qualified, but some opticians may well do it for free. I'm going to be phoning round, I guess. On a slightly different tack, has anyone found any particular optician to be particularly good for diabetics? I'm at that time in my life when the eyes start to get weary and I need varifocals or bifocals, which of course increases the price of what you need and means getting comprehensive and accurate work from the optician is vital. Ach, it was much easier when it was all NHS!!
Cheers
Peter

chocoholic

Yes, you can get free eye tests, as a diabetic.You still have to pay for glasses but the actual eye tests are free. My optician is extremely good but it's a one-off independent place, so that's not much use to you.However, I think you might find there is a list available locally to you of opticians recommended by your doctor.

special1

Cheers, choco. That's what I like about the web - instant gratification. So is that a legal requirement of opticians? If they refuse, do I have to refer them to some Act or regulations?

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
I'm not advertising and I don't have any financial interest tthere, but the bigger branches of Boots have very well equipped optometry departments.

special1

Thanks all. I think you're right, rhu. I can recall getting the black-framed NHS specs when I was a kid, and adults tended to have wire glasses or great big dish things. Now there's a lot more choice, but it's a fantastic racket. I'll admit to having bought some from a US internet site last time, and it was probably a couple of hundred quid cheaper than going into a high-street opticians. Amazing.

Graham55

Hi,
As i drive for a living i was going to get new glasses almost every two weeks and Specialeyes done my eye test free, shame not the glasses.
Whitevanman, T2 for a year now.