It’s currently assumed that I have Type 1. However I feel they havnt considered LADA?

Grumpy Porridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have read somewhere that LADA has traits of both type 1 and 2 . And that it shares some of the lifestyle factors such as obesity, having a sedentary lifestyle etc as possible triggers.

One month ago I was diagnosed with Type 1. My blood was NOT acidic so didn’t have DKA but I did have high ketones along with high blood sugar . I was put on insulin straight away .
Seeing as I was put on insulin straight away, surely it’s unknown whether I would respond well ( at least for now ) with dietary changes etc

My previous HBA1C was back in January as 40. Could I have been LADA then ?? Or not

Also my HBA1C was 118 ( and the doctor called and said I should go to the hospital ) why did they say that ? I’ve read other peoples HBA1C as being higher and not going to hospital ??

Also I also have come across something interesting- generally ( I’m
Presuming un diagnosed) peoples HBA1C was HIGHER with LADA than with type 1??

I had rapid weight loss , not sure exactly but we think over 2 stone in 2 months . Do you think that points to Type 1 or LADA?

My GAD test came back as positive . With a level of 2000 ( I don’t know what antibodies ( I’ve also seen that people with T1 also seem to have more than 1 of the antibodies present rather than in LADA.

I don’t know if I have had a C peptide test . Will ask when I have a diabetes appointment on Thursday

I’m just worried Incase it’s LADA ( I would feel I somewhat contributed to it ) and I know it sounds strange ! But would prefer type 1 .

I’m 28 years old so just in the age bracket of possible LADA...

Thank you

:)

Last edited:

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
LADA is type 1.
It's an autoimmune condition.

You haven't contributed to it, regardless of type.

Reactions: KK123 and ert

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
You were put on insulin straight away because they thought you might be type one, and not giving insulin to type ones has lethal consequences. Sure, they don't know if you could have responded to diet change, but they know that prescribing insulin may have been what kept you alive. All medical staff are going to go with the safer choice on this.

You were sent to hospital with that HbA1c because they didn't know what your ketone level was (I assume). People with high blood glucose and high ketones can suddenly collapse and be very, very ill. It would be more usual if your blood was acidic too (making it ketoacidosis), but again, medical staff really want to take the safer option.

I hadn't heard that the HbA1c of type LADA tends to be higher, but it doesn't surprise me. The classic type one starts the auto-immune reaction, and within days has blood glucose high enough to make them ill and get a diagnosis. Type LADA can run on for years with steadily increasing blood glucose before their diagnosis. The HbA1c is effectively an average blood glucose over about three months, so could well be higher for type LADAs.

The thing I think you aren't getting though is, it's not an either/or. LADA is type one, it's just slower. Maybe the immune system in type LADAS does a bit of a better job and slows down the destruction of the pancreatic cells, or maybe there's something completely different going on.

As always, the above is my understanding of the matter, and might be wrong.

P.S. Ask your doctor for ketone test strips. For the future when you're ill, if you have high bg and high ketones you go to hospital. Just high bg _can_ be treated at home (within reason). The last thing you want when you're feeling really ill is to drag yourself to hospital, only to be told to go home if your ketones are OK.