My weight watch and diet journey to beat diabetes.

Tawfiq

Saturday 21/11/2020
Hi this my first post in this forum

I have decided to go on a ketone diet starting Monday 23/11/22 because the doctors said I have type 2 diabetes the sugar level came 101 and normal is 50! Which came as a shock to me as I am in good health and have no known diabetes symptoms to be honest am still coming to terms with this shock and it did make feel right depressed.

They have prescribed me with the metformin Which I most take with the breakfast for the first week and than twice a day.

My fasting blood sugar level when first diagnosed on 19/11/2020 was 12.4 which is high.

I have started taking a walk which am committed to do everyday for at least 30 to 40 minutes.

The first day I stopped drinking energy drink and eating sweets and all snacks.

I have measured my fasting sugar today Saturday 20/11/2020 and it has gone down to 10 which is still high. When I spoke with the doctor she said to carry on with my diet and medicine and they will do sugar check up again in 2 months time.

I have decided to go on this hard journey to lose weight and control sugar level my hopes are high because I have determination to reverse this disease or at least put it to remission. I have to admit it this life style change is making me nervous and worried that I might not succeed but I know for a fact in the long run all this will do me good and make me feel good too.

I will write my memos here and on this page https://www.instagram.com/myketo1diet
in the future and try to include as much details as possible regarding my ketone low carb diet and will tell you how it feels and the main meals I eat and how this effects every day routine. I have no delusion that this ride is going to be not easy at all and might feel down at some stage and get tempted to go back to the old ways but that is not going to happen.

It is only day 1 and I can already feel headache from not drinking my favourite sugar free energy pop and sweet snacks am hoping it will get easier feels like withdrawal symptoms like my body was addicted to those caffeine’s, to stop the craving I drink more tea if that didn’t work will have to drink black coffee any option that will stop me to get tempted to spoil the diet ,officially am not starting full ketone diet till Monday but am starting slowly to prepare for this change and lose weight which currently 92kg and my ideal weight is around 77kg to control sugar.

Last edited:
Reactions: zand

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, welcome to the forum.

Your plan sounds like a good one and you can iron out any problems as you proceed.

It will be hard at first but will get easier. Carbs are addictive, so the less you have, the less you will want them.

Drinking water helped with my headaches in the early days

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Coffee with double cream is better than tea with milk.

Reactions: Tawfiq

Tawfiq

Hi, welcome to the forum.

Your plan sounds like a good one and you can iron out any problems as you proceed.

It will be hard at first but will get easier. Carbs are addictive, so the less you have, the less you will want them.

Drinking water helped with my headaches in the early days
Thank you
Totally agree carbs are addictive and are enemy number one.

Reactions: zand

Lilylala

Sorry but how is that possible..
Hi and welcome
It's about the fat content why it's better
Or better still bullet proof coffee which is coffee with butter
May sound strange but keto is cutting out carbs and adding more fat eg : pork belly , butter , bacon , the list is endless and lots of help and ideas on the forum
Good luck and look forward to reading you journey.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sorry but how is that possible..
Also keto isn't about reducing calories, just carbs. It's hard to throw off all the years of being told that fat makes you fat I know. Fat helps to make us feel less hungry and therfore less likely to grab some quick carbs.

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you prefer tea you can make 'milk' by diluting some cream with water. Less carbs.

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Have a look at the nutritional thingy link above. A lot of good ideas for you.

And yes coffee is only better - if you like it. I don't, I have earl grey tea which I find nice and I feel I don't need to add a sweetner or anything to it - I just water down the milk I have in it for less carbs as I like a lot of milk - baby tea!

Tawfiq

This is why I joined the forum to get ideas from people who can relate to their experience thank you for the helpful insight although my 15 years old son has type 1 diabetes which was terrible experience he had when he was four am sure people who were first diagnosed with type 2 felt over whelmed and talking to people with similar issues does help in my opinion.

Reactions: hankjam

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello best of luck to you, I know those sugar free fizzy pops aren’t the greatest. If you need a caffeine boost, green tea or matcha latte is pretty good. As for milk, I’m lactose intolerant so I’ve been branching out for an alternative. I’ve been making hemp seed mylk. Just some hulled hemp seeds with water in a blender, blend away and viola. Add a bit of erythritol for a bit of sweet and vanilla extract for more flavour with a bit of mct coconut oil for the fat in your coffee.

Tawfiq

Hello best of luck to you, I know those sugar free fizzy pops aren’t the greatest. If you need a caffeine boost, green tea or matcha latte is pretty good. As for milk, I’m lactose intolerant so I’ve been branching out for an alternative. I’ve been making hemp seed mylk. Just some hulled hemp seeds with water in a blender, blend away and viola. Add a bit of erythritol for a bit of sweet and vanilla extract for more flavour with a bit of mct coconut oil for the fat in your coffee.

I think what did me is the excessive drinking of sugar free pops thinking they don’t contain sugar which might be true but what they put in them does make the sugar level spike for 4 days I been drinking black coffee or tea as alternative to stop the craving for the energy drink fix !
AED43FB8-C1F6-490A-A9A6-883ED41AC389.jpg

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I think what did me is the excessive drinking of sugar free pops thinking they don’t contain sugar which might be true but what they put in them does make the sugar level spike for 4 days I been drinking black coffee or tea as alternative to stop the craving for the energy drink fix !View attachment 45611
Yes sugar free drinks weren't good for me either. They help cause fatty Iiver and insulin resistance. If I could go back in time and give my young self some advice it would be to never even try them.

Tawfiq

Hello again
The keto diet in my opinion is the way forward on day 8 of the keto diet, noticed the fasting blood sugar level dropped from 12.8 to 6.7 today. Also during the day even after meal times it has been around 8. The doctor prescribed me a metformin one tablet a day after breakfast for 7 days and than 2 times a day eventually 2 in the morning and 2 at night. I don’t know wether to follow doctor advice or just stick with one tablet a day until the following appointment to clarify if it is safe to have metformin twice a day with the keto diet....
I put my diary of the keto diet on this page just to see the impact it will eventually have on the sugar levels and of course the weight

https://www.instagram.com/my_keto1diet

Jo123

Well done!
Check with the gp, but I'd probably go to two tablets a day as Metformin can't make you go too low and has health benefits I've read.

Tawfiq

Well done!
Check with the gp, but I'd probably go to two tablets a day as Metformin can't make you go too low and has health benefits I've read.

I was thinking the same that my guess is she will say to have one in the morning and one at night like you said. Twice 2 tablets with keto diet might be too much will have to wait till 11th December to find out for sure am newly diagnosed no doubt they will be alteration to the medicine