Diagnosed T2 4 weeks ago - think might be pre-diabetic range now but not sure?

PollyOlly

Hi all, it’s my first post here but I’ve been lurking for a month or so and picking up loads of advice!

I was diagnosed as Type 2 a month ago with an HBA1C of 73. I have a monitor and originally was getting fasting bloods of 11/12ish in the morning. I have been doing low carb and TRE and am now getting fasting bloods of around 6 to 6.2 in the morning - staying fairly consistent through the day. I know I need to wait for my next HBA1C for a proper result but would these results likely put me into the prediabetic range? Getting very confused by googling and thought someone might have similar numbers and know the answer?

Thank you!

Ronancastled

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/hba1c-units-converter.html

Type your HbA1c in here & it will give your average glucose reading.
You say your 6.0 to 6.2 fasting but remember you'll rise after eating before you come back down.
Break your day into 24 hour long blocks & try to estimate your average reading each hour, add them up then divide by 24.

PollyOlly

Thank you! My levels are back at fasting levels within 2 hours but will start looking at what they are an hour after eating and try logging them.

the diabetes nurse was really keen for me to go into Metformin so really hoping this is a good sign that I can avoid medication.

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, it’s my first post here but I’ve been lurking for a month or so and picking up loads of advice!

I was diagnosed as Type 2 a month ago with an HBA1C of 73. I have a monitor and originally was getting fasting bloods of 11/12ish in the morning. I have been doing low carb and TRE and am now getting fasting bloods of around 6 to 6.2 in the morning - staying fairly consistent through the day. I know I need to wait for my next HBA1C for a proper result but would these results likely put me into the prediabetic range? Getting very confused by googling and thought someone might have similar numbers and know the answer?

Thank you!
HbA1c of 42-47 is prediabetic, 48 and above is diabetic, so not much doubt about 73. Many people on here have had higher readings and brought them down rapidly with a low carb diet. Fasting readings are very variable, especially during the early stages of trying to control your levels so keep up the good work and wait for your next HbA1c.

PollyOlly

Hi, yes no doubt it’s type 2. It was more that my numbers on meter at diagnosis were in double figures, both fasting and after eating, and now pretty much under 7 even after eating. I just wasn’t clear on whether it was realistic to hope that this might have shifted into prediabetic range so quickly.

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, yes no doubt it’s type 2. It was more that my numbers on meter at diagnosis were in double figures, both fasting and after eating, and now pretty much under 7 even after eating. I just wasn’t clear on whether it was realistic to hope that this might have shifted into prediabetic range so quickly.
it sounds as if you have been doing low carb very well, and I wouldn't doubt those figures.
Just be aware its more a form of remission rather than cure and low carb will probably need to be part of your life for ever. If you relax eating carbs too soon, or too often, those numbers are likely to go up again
Sounds like you know what to do if they do, well done

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Well done on reducing your levels!

I agree with @MrsA2 that while you an put yourself into the diabetic range for your HbA1 that it iOS unlikely that you will ever be able to eat a 'normal' level of carbs. Good luck.

PollyOlly

Thanks so much for the encouragement Vashti and MrsA2, really appreciate it.

I am planning to stick to this way of eating permanently whatever happens with my levels. I feel so much better in myself, I've lost weight, I'm sleeping better and it's completely resolved the IBS symptoms I've had for years. I think I'm just shocked that I've been able to change my levels so rapidly as the diabetes nurse said I should be on medication immediately, and was really concerned at letting me have a bash at trying diet first. I had no idea it was possible to make such a big change in my health with such a simple change in my diet.

I'm really happy and honestly think a diagnosis of T2 is the best thing that's happened to me in years, as it's prompted me to sort my health out.

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You can also download the mysugr app. Record your food and numbers. After a few days it will give you an estimated hba1c. The longer you use it, the more accurate it will be. It is highly motivating.