aaronjunited

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes
Can I take Insulin to lower my sugars when they are high, I didn't take enough for my breakfast and my sugars are high, can i take the insulin to lower the sugars even when not eating.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
As it's near lunch and you'll be eating soon just include a correction dose with your usual lunchtime dose.

Nigel

aaronjunited

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Tomatoes
If in the future this happens and im not eating lunch can i take the insulin without eating to bring my sugar down?

grh1904

As Nigel said, that's what I'd do, however you canm take insulin "between meals" when you're running high.

I've got mine totally wrong before & found myself running high & taken an adjustment. It depends on how high I am. If I'm up to & including say 10 I'll just leave it till I next eat, but 11 or more I'll take an adjustment. Just remember that with no food to "fight" the insulin will hit your system quicker & have a greater effect on you than with taking food, that is it will bring your BG's down further than you perhaps anticipated.

If I'm in that situation I work out what Novorapid I would normally take to bring me back in line then knock it down by 1 unit. This will bring my BG's down to a more acceptable level without me going th eother way & into a hypo.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
aaronjunited said:
If in the future this happens and im not eating lunch can i take the insulin without eating to bring my sugar down?

You have the potential to overlap insulin doses doing that which can lead to hypo's.... but the choice is yours, it's far better getting the dose right at breakfast so that you avoid the mid-morning highs.

Nigel