T-slim for imminent Upgrade or stick with Minimed?

LizLola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dear pumpers, hello! I'm on the Minimed 640. I've been on a pump since having a minemed and then Deltec Cozmo a LONG time ago - also the Minimed 570, the Veo and then the 640. Actually I was on the original Mill Hill pump in the early 80s. It was ghastly.

I have recently become aware of the T-Slim. I was really looking forward to the Minimed 780, as it will add insulin to deflect highs.

But the T-Slim I hear will also do this with its new upgrade.

Is anyone on this system who has been on the Minimed? If so, please could you let me know how you find it.

I'm interested in how easy it is to work, whether the fewer alarms are relaxing, whether the supplies are easy to obtain and if they are always on 'back order' like Minimed, etc!

Also, what is their support line like? Any time there is a problem with the Minimed, day or night, I get an answer. If it breaks down, do they supply a new one pronto?

Thank you!

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@LizLola I've never used a Minimed. The t:slim is my first pump.
I've had the X2 for about 15 months. During that time it's had 2 updates.
First to Basal IQ which suspended insulin delivery if it predicted I would go low. This was a big step forward.
Second came Control IQ a week or so ago. I'm still getting used to it, but so far I'm very impressed.
It's the most advanced pump currently on the market.
The Medtronic 670G is also closed loop, but according to everything I've read, it's CGM is not as good as the Dexcom G6.
Others with similar functions are coming in the next year or two.

LizLola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you, Duneplodder! I have bought the starter pack Dexcom to see if it works for me. The whole first day and night was a disaster, it just asked for calibrations over and over and didn't accept them. The next day it was behind the Medtronic sensor at all times - ie the Medtronic agreed with my meter at all times, the Dexcom was about 15 minutes slower to react to blood sugars. Today it seems more in line. Is this usual? Does it take ages to start working properly or have I been unlucky with my first one?

Reactions: asa35

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
No, it's not usual! The first 12 hours or so can sometimes be a bit erratic but once it settles down it's great. I try not to calibrate during this period, in fact I don't usually calibrate at all unless I restart a sensor.

LizLola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Ah. I don't get any erratic readings with the Medtronic, they seem to work straight off, brilliantly. So you don't calibrate at all? This sensor asked me to calibrate! How weird. I'll try that with the next one.

If you have time I'd welcome knowing how good tech help is and whether it is 24 hour coverage, and what happens if there is a problem and you need a new pump. If you know!

Which 'other' pumps are nearly there?

DunePlodder

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I assume you put the sensor code in? I have occasionally been asked for a calibrations so it's not unknown, just not usual.
I haven't had any real problems, but whenever I had questions they responded quickly. Tandem operate through Air Liquide in this country. I'm not sure whether the help line is 24 hours - I assume it is, but I don't know! From what I've heard, they replace problem pumps very quickly.
It may make sense to contact Air Liquide & ask to talk to the agent who covers your area.
Also you could join the "Tandem t:slim Insulin Pump UK" facebook group & ask questions there.
As for new pumps in the pipeline: the Medtronic 780G, a new Omnipod, CamAPS FX which works with a Dana RS pump, Diabeloop, & Tandem's t:sport. Apart from the Medtronic I think they all use Dexcom sensors.

LizLola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Thank you. Yes, it would be the 780 I'd go for if not this one. I shall join that group, how helpful, thank you. Yes, I put in the code.

Reactions: DunePlodder

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you, Duneplodder! I have bought the starter pack Dexcom to see if it works for me. The whole first day and night was a disaster, it just asked for calibrations over and over and didn't accept them. The next day it was behind the Medtronic sensor at all times - ie the Medtronic agreed with my meter at all times, the Dexcom was about 15 minutes slower to react to blood sugars. Today it seems more in line. Is this usual? Does it take ages to start working properly or have I been unlucky with my first one?
Hi Lizlola - I am also currently on the 640G but due to change in December; I have also been looking at the T-Slim and am seriously thinking of changing to this one. How are you getting on with it compared to the 640?
One of my main reasons will be for possible future use with the Libre 3 (???), as I'm not sure I can afford the monthly Dexcom costs.
With the 640, this came with the Contour Next finger prick device - does the Tandem have such a device? if not, if using pump manually, would you just use a different finger prick reader and then enter the reading manually into the T-Slim?

LizLola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hello! I don't know if the Tandem comes with a blood testing machine that automatically connects to it. The Dexcom does not require any calibrating and i haven't done a test since getting one. Which is fabulous. I'm not happy with the Tandem, though, I wish I'd stayed with Medtronic. The cartridge filling is a joke, lots of problems with it, and it takes twice as long. It's got a rechargeable battery and you charge the pump, not a battery so you can't have one spare. So it can run down without you noticing if you are not very ordered, as I am not. I find it's turning off basal does not work as well for me as it puts insulin back in too soon. It doesn't take Fiasp which is my preferred insulin. It is lighter maybe, certainly smaller, I like the fact it is sideways on.

MeiChanski

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello! I don't know if the Tandem comes with a blood testing machine that automatically connects to it. The Dexcom does not require any calibrating and i haven't done a test since getting one. Which is fabulous. I'm not happy with the Tandem, though, I wish I'd stayed with Medtronic. The cartridge filling is a joke, lots of problems with it, and it takes twice as long. It's got a rechargeable battery and you charge the pump, not a battery so you can't have one spare. So it can run down without you noticing if you are not very ordered, as I am not. I find it's turning off basal does not work as well for me as it puts insulin back in too soon. It doesn't take Fiasp which is my preferred insulin. It is lighter maybe, certainly smaller, I like the fact it is sideways on.

I’ve heard people carry a portable battery on them to charge their pump as they work.

LizLola

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I’ve heard people carry a portable battery on them to charge their pump as they work.
Yes. that would rely on you noticing it needs charging, as it wouldn't have enough charge in it which takes some hours when it's nearly out. But I am thinking of getting one. It doesn't make me feel safe though.

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for this feedback LizLola, very interesting, particularly about the Basal part. I'll check this out a bit more I think. For the battery, like MeiChanski mentioned, I had read that a suggestion was to carry a small portable charging station with the pump that you can connect to and leave along side it.
More food for thought, but it's good to know both sides of the pumps features. Thanks.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Battery not an issue for me.. I stick it on charge when I have a shower.. its a USB connector so can charge in the car etc.. but if I do it while in the shower I never seem to drop below 75% battery

Dexcom is great they had a few faulty sensors that kept asking for calibration call them and they will replace it

Filling it is no hassle for me. The whole fill and change take no more than 10 minutes.

I was on fiasp before the pump.. tandem rep and nurse said I could use it in the pump but they don't recommend it.. they notices that with all pumps fiasp doesn't work so well.. bolus is OK and faster but issues with basal apparently. But both were happy for me to try it if I wished.

I fitted a magnetic charge connector so that if I charge and forget to disconnect it just pulls off
20201201_080406.jpg

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I fitted a magnetic charge connector so that if I charge and forget to disconnect it just pulls offView attachment 45871

They look neat, had never seen them before. On the charging front my battery drains about 15-20% each day, so recharge whilst waiting to eat my breakfast and doing my emails, takes maybe 5-10mins.