Getting a flu jab

Wookie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, does anyone have any info on whether getting the flu jab is necessary. From my last Hba1c (45) I am in the pre diabetic range and my finger prick readings are good. Cheers.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I’ve had a non diabetic Hba1c for approx 7 years and still have a flu jab.

Reactions: LindiePops

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've had non diabetic HbA1c for approx 3 years and still get offered/have flu jag

Reactions: Wookie1974

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
I have had normal hba1c for seven years and still get notified when it's due.

Wookie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK thanks everyone for the quick replys. It all helps greatly.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
You don’t have to have a flu jab it’s entirely up to you. I have never had a flu and been diabetic over 20 years!
Well clearly no one is forcing anyone to have it, but it’s more about the fact that being diabetic means flu is a greater impact onto you than if you weren’t.

I don’t understand your argument I’m afraid

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, does anyone have any info on whether getting the flu jab is necessary. From my last Hba1c (45) I am in the pre diabetic range and my finger prick readings are good. Cheers.
I got the jab for other reasons long before diabetes rolled around. Considering that blood sugars rise when ill, and we can get hit with that sort of thing harder than those who don't have it... It's up to you, really. But that's the stuff that should carry weight when you make a descision.

Wookie1974

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
OK thanks everyone. Not been in this position before being diagnosed, it's all a bit confusing and the Gp surgery, although being very good seems ready to throw medication at everything. I like to find out as much info as possible before agreeing with what they say is best for me. It's the conspiracy theorist in me;)

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
As a diabetic you are probably entitled to pneumonia jab too. This is a one-time-only thing, unless you are immuno-compromised in some other way.

I have had both jabs this year, my BG is good and I don’t want to upset it by being badly ill!

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It seems flu has been trumped by the new boy in town this year judging by flu levels ... Doesn't mean you shouldn't have the jab if you are vulnerable e.g. age and diabetes. It is a personal decision and you may want to consider your general health too e.g. how are your blood sugars, how well do you cope with colds/chesty virus things?
I think the pneumonia jab only goes to the over 70s but stand to be corrected.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
It seems flu has been trumped by the new boy in town this year judging by flu levels ... Doesn't mean you shouldn't have the jab if you are vulnerable e.g. age and diabetes. It is a personal decision and you may want to consider your general health too e.g. how are your blood sugars, how well do you cope with colds/chesty virus things?
Well reducing human contact is likely to have had impact on other transmitted infections and diseases, so not surprising really

I am aware a few people who started the flu jab after then had it once and realised how much it impacted them. Purely personal but since becoming diabetic, I found when I get a cold or similar, it hits me a lot harder than before. So I take the judgement call that I’d rather be vaccinated to reduce the risk. I have also had the pneumonia jab

It might be that it doesn’t impact when you get ill, hopefully so! Or it might be that it becomes a significant illness as your body doesn’t work the same way

If you should always investigate carefully. Doctors do tend to throw drugs at diabetics. I do take some and have taken more but pushed back on some such as statins so your body and you need to be informed. That’s my view

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dunno, you could be right, but they offered it to me and I’m 56 and 11/12ths :cat: and my GP practice is not renowned for going above and beyond! ;)

Reactions: JohnEGreen

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dunno, you could be right, but they offered it to me and I’m 56 and 11/12ths :cat: and my GP practice is not renowned for going above and beyond! ;)
Happy nearly 57th then! Will see what happens when my mileometer turns over to 50 next year.

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
I get one every year on my own dime. Interestingly, Singapore has two flu seasons, I only get it when the northern hemisphere is active.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

I think the age that your allowed the flu jab is sixty, unless you are in the at risk group.
I had the pneumonia jab in 2015.
As always there are those that are eligible.

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
My husband and I always go together for our flu jabs and are in the same room with the same nurse at the same time. When he was 70 he was offered the pneumonia one alongside the flu. I wasn't. I asked and was told I was only 69. I had to wait another year. A bit daft as we were both in there together.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Having had "real" flu, I would have one even if I had to pay for it. If I can avoid being that ill again, I'll do it, I ended up on steriods and was a hairs breadth from being admitted to hospital

Lamont D

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Reactive hypoglycemia
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
My husband and I always go together for our flu jabs and are in the same room with the same nurse at the same time. When he was 70 he was offered the pneumonia one alongside the flu. I wasn't. I asked and was told I was only 69. I had to wait another year. A bit daft as we were both in there together.
Postcode lottery?