Type 2 New to diabetes

Jaybar1976

Hi all, just thought I would introduce myself and raise a few things with being newly diagnosed, firstly I think I’m testing bloods at the right times, morning, prior to meals, 2 hours after and before bed so 7-8 times per is this correct? only asking as prescription gives 50 test strips that should last 30 or so days, my medication is Gliclazide 80mg half a tablet twice a day, my bloods have been 4.5 to 6 consistently daily while at work over the time I’ve been diagnosed (3weeks) but seem to rise after my meal at home ? Is this due to not being as active at home after I’ve ate ? All this without taking the medication as I’m concerned and was told they could take my bloods too low ? Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks Jase.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, just thought I would introduce myself and raise a few things with being newly diagnosed, firstly I think I’m testing bloods at the right times, morning, prior to meals, 2 hours after and before bed so 7-8 times per is this correct? only asking as prescription gives 50 test strips that should last 30 or so days, my medication is Gliclazide 80mg half a tablet twice a day, my bloods have been 4.5 to 6 consistently daily while at work over the time I’ve been diagnosed (3weeks) but seem to rise after my meal at home ? Is this due to not being as active at home after I’ve ate ? All this without taking the medication as I’m concerned and was told they could take my bloods too low ? Any info would be greatly appreciated thanks Jase.
Hey Jase,

Your bloods go up after your meal, because that's what they do. If you eat carbohydrates, (not just sugars, but starches too), they turn to blood glucose. If you see a significant rise after dinner, than the meal is likely to be carby. Let me guess, potatoes, pasta, rice, corn, that sort of thing? If it's your carbiest meal of the day, that would explain a lot. Also, if you're on your feet all day, that could impact your blood sugars as well, but positively. Now, gliclazide... You're on just a smidge of it by the sound of it, and your blood sugars are generally in range. But 4,5 is a little low when you have a med that can make it dive lower, so if you go back on them, the rule of thumb is "five to drive". Glic can make you hypo, and if you get in the car with anything lower than a five, and you have an accident, the insurance can get very problematic. All in all... I think with the glic being relatively low dosed, I have a feeling if you go low carb, you can ditch the glic completely. (Don't mix gliclazide with low carb, the odds are, with your numbers as they are right now, you'll go hypo. Your control is very tight right now so hypo's are a very real possibility.) As for strips, well.. That's why the bulk of us self-fund, and get a meter with cheap strips, like the Tee2 or Codefree. Otherwise you're paying out of your ears for strips. (You're not likely to get more on perscription, but you can try!!!). If your morning and evening numbers are pretty consistent, you can just test around meals, that's where the most information can be gained: what works for you and what doesn't, you know?

Anyway, https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html might help some. And we might be able to give some pointers if you tell us what you eat and drink in an average day.

Good luck, and welcome!
Jo

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
the bulk of us self-fund, and get a meter with cheap strips, like the Tee2 or Codefree. Otherwise you're paying out of your ears for strips.
Indeed! The newer Navii meter from Home Health, the same firm that sells the Codefree has even cheaper strips and, as far as I can see (I use it regularly, the Codefree occasionally), performs much the same. NB the cheapest meters and strips are only available on the Internet, from their own sites.
https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Yes, Glic can make you go hypo so be careful with it and test regularly until you gain experience. Are you having a low-carb diet? Reducing the carbs is the best way to treat T2 as any excess weight causes insulin resistance and taking Glic may not have that much effect as the extra insulin it triggers can't be used by the body

Jaybar1976

Hi. Yes, Glic can make you go hypo so be careful with it and test regularly until you gain experience. Are you having a low-carb diet? Reducing the carbs is the best way to treat T2 as any excess weight causes insulin resistance and taking Glic may not have that much effect as the extra insulin it triggers can't be used by the body
Yes trying to cut down on carbs etc and being more active seems to be doing the trick like I say my evening meal (reduce portion size) seems to be leaving bloods higher than in the day when on my feet at work doing manual stuff ? Suppose it’s a learning curve and getting used to what’s best for you individually thanks for your reply !