Sore legs and sore feet

tonydowie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Chocolate
Hi for the past 4 weeks I can't get my BG below 13.
Since feb 2011. I take 2 Gluchophage tablets and 1 atarvostatin.
I have constant lower leg pain, and over the last 4 weeks very sore feet and toes, no signs of infections/cuts anything like that,
I am a lot more tired than normal,
I do not want to go to the doctors or my Diabetic nurse as the last time I went, The nurse said I was to stop self testing as that was her job at the ANNUAL Review??
My doctor told me to stop taking the tablets and never offered me an alternative. his comment on being tired was "everyone gets tired!" I ended up in the hospital in february, as blood sugar/ Cholestral/ blood pressure was all over the place. It was a doctor at the Hospital who changed my medication. Is it a fact that you only need your blood tested annually or should it be done more frequently, and how often should I be getting my blood pressure tested.

RussG

Hi Tony

Everyone with diabetes should have an annual review, but that doesn't necessarily mean that is the only time you will get your blood tested.

Many medical teams will suggest moving to an annual test once you've proved that you are well controlled. Personally I think this is not often enough and at least twice yearly for an HbA1c would be my preference. If you're paying for your own test strips then I'd suggest it's none of the nurse's business how often you test.

As for blood pressure, well that really depends on your personal circumstances, what your BP is, what risk factors you have etc.