My diet

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I declined both metformin and statins - luckily I was diagnosed early and my GP was prepared to let me try low carb first.

I swapped to cauliflower rice instead of rice, spiralized courgetti instead of spaghetti/noodles and a mix of kohlrabi and cauliflower for mash. Along with a couple of servings of green veg and one of raspberries plus a green salad I get all my 5 a day easily.
Snacked on eggs, cooked meats, cheeses if I got hungry.
Cut back on milk (I swapped part of the milk in my coffee to cream or coconut milk).
I very rarely eat bread as testing showed a small slice of high protein bread occasionally is OK but not two (no difference between white and wholemeal, not surprising as they contain the same amount of carbs) - I do make 90 second almond bread sometimes as it's good with cheese.
And my bar of dairy milk became a couple of squares of 85% lindt.

There are loads of recipes for lower carb treats if you want them, and several decent lists for Christmas meals.

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I hope that you soon return here.
My salads are half a bag of prepared salad, a beetroot, radishes, a tomato, a couple of sticks of celery, some oil and vinegar salad dressing, or a good lot of coleslaw, cucumber, a sweet pepper, anything else I find in the fridge. I need a large bowl.

TheMillerMan

Thanks, everybody, for being so patient. Life has quetened down a bit for the moment.

Today I started on the Metaformin.

This morning I have been doing some research on what I should and shouldn't consume. I hope nobody will be offended but I really don't think I should throw myself fully at the diabetes and abandon concerns for other things and I want to try and find the right balance. I know that statins don't help diabetes and I do want to get to the stage I can abandon them but I don't think now is the time. Likewise I am permanently on a huge does of steroids which cause a lot of problems, but I can't stay out of hospital without them. I also want to lose weight as that will definitely help with a lot of things.

I have been looking at the main site here for advice on specific food items and am pleased to find that are OK that I thought wouldn't be. This saves me asking, asking and asking here, but still I have the odd question. One is about drinking squash. For many years I have drunk "no added sugar" orange squash, is that now a no-no? And what about onion? I see spring onions are recommended but have found no mention at all of the "normal" type, neither as good or bad.

Bilkbiker said above:
"You appear to be avoiding meat and fish and eggs.. three things that you can have limitless amounts of?"
There are assumptions being made here, presumably because I mentioned Quorn? If I were a vegetarian or vegan I might take offence at that comment but I am not. Nor am I a hard-core carnivore, meat isn't important in my life.

To keep the cholesterol down I am not supposed to eat red meat or processed meat, but I do in moderation. I have been severely ill several times with badly cooked white meat (not cooked by the Missus, I hasten to add). With the steroid use, I have minimal resistance to illness so what most people think is a little bit of 24 hour delly-belly lasts two to three weeks for me. So I play safe don't touch the stuff, full stop.

If it is any assurance, we now have a tradition here that I cook a hot breakfast on a Sunday morning to give some variety during these months of mundaneness and today's included bacon and a fried egg . . . along with a few things you would probably all throw your hands up in horror over.

I am also struggling deciding on the best meter to purchase. The manufacturer's various sites proudly tell you all the good things they think you want to know, but don't actually say how they are used. Nor do they seem to mention what items you will need to repeatedly buy and how often. I know somebody mentioned one above that sticks on your arm for a few weeks. Presumably it pierces the skin?

Best to all,

John

TheMillerMan

PS - just spotted a couple of new posts that somehow I hadn't noticed, sorry. Some nice ideas there on the salad front. I'm quite surprised about the coleslaw, for a long while I have been using the yoghurt-dressed version which I guess I don't have to abandon now after all. But I guess the yoghurt-dressed potato salad will still have to go . . .

I also like the idea of the cauliflower rice (I already often use spiralised courgette in lieu of pasta) - thanks.

John

xfieldok

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am on steroids and I need 2 types of insulin to control it, along with a freestyle libre.

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am also struggling deciding on the best meter to purchase. The manufacturer's various sites proudly tell you all the good things they think you want to know, but don't actually say how they are used. Nor do they seem to mention what items you will need to repeatedly buy and how often

As you say, there are some consumables with blood glucose testing, namely the test strips and lancets. You will need one strip per test and officially one lancet per test although many of us change them less frequently (I tend to change mine every couple of days!) I also carry mini wet wipes for testing out and about if there are no hand washing facilities.

Here’s some info on UK meters, and to be clear I have no commercial connections with any of the companies mentioned.

Spirit Healthcare have a meter with cheap strips, the Tee2 + found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-plus-blood-glucose-meter/

with the strips found here:

http://spirit-healthcare.co.uk/product/tee2-testing-strips/

Some members have got a free Tee2+ by phoning up to order, with a large order of strips they often throw the meter in for free:

Phone number 0800 8815423

With more expensive strips is their Caresens Dual which I currently use, this one has the advantage of glucose and ketone testing in one machine, it’s to be found here:

https://shop.spirit-health.co.uk/collections/caresens-dual

Home Health have recently bought out this one, but I haven’t heard any reviews yet, links to strips and the meter:

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-produ...ose-meter-test-strips-choose-mmol-l-or-mg-dl/

There are also discount codes for when you come to buy more strips - "navii5" and "navii10" will give you 20% off purchases of 5 packs of strips and 25% off 10 packs of strips respectively (these are printed on a business card supplied with the meter).

And to be totally transparent I used to use the SD Code Free from Home Health which has the cheapest strips available if bought in quantities of 5 or 10 pots with the codes below. However I found it to be becoming less and less reliable. Here it is for anyone wanting to give it a go, just bear in mind it seems they are replacing it with the Navii, details above.

https://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/codefree-blood-glucose-monitoring-system-mmoll-or-mgdl/

and here for the extra strips

http://homehealth-uk.com/all-products/sd-codefree-test-strips-to-be-used-only-with-the-sd-monitor/

There are discount codes if you buy in bulk.

5 packs 264086

10 packs 975833

Disclaimer, I haven’t used any of the discount codes I have quoted so I don’t know if they are still current.

Don’t forget to check the box if you have pre diabetes or diabetes so you can buy VAT free. (for all meters and strips)

Reactions: Tophat1900

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks, everybody, for being so patient. Life has quetened down a bit for the moment.

Today I started on the Metaformin.

This morning I have been doing some research on what I should and shouldn't consume. I hope nobody will be offended but I really don't think I should throw myself fully at the diabetes and abandon concerns for other things and I want to try and find the right balance. I know that statins don't help diabetes and I do want to get to the stage I can abandon them but I don't think now is the time. Likewise I am permanently on a huge does of steroids which cause a lot of problems, but I can't stay out of hospital without them. I also want to lose weight as that will definitely help with a lot of things.

I have been looking at the main site here for advice on specific food items and am pleased to find that are OK that I thought wouldn't be. This saves me asking, asking and asking here, but still I have the odd question. One is about drinking squash. For many years I have drunk "no added sugar" orange squash, is that now a no-no? And what about onion? I see spring onions are recommended but have found no mention at all of the "normal" type, neither as good or bad.

Bilkbiker said above:
"You appear to be avoiding meat and fish and eggs.. three things that you can have limitless amounts of?"
There are assumptions being made here, presumably because I mentioned Quorn? If I were a vegetarian or vegan I might take offence at that comment but I am not. Nor am I a hard-core carnivore, meat isn't important in my life.

To keep the cholesterol down I am not supposed to eat red meat or processed meat, but I do in moderation. I have been severely ill several times with badly cooked white meat (not cooked by the Missus, I hasten to add). With the steroid use, I have minimal resistance to illness so what most people think is a little bit of 24 hour delly-belly lasts two to three weeks for me. So I play safe don't touch the stuff, full stop.

If it is any assurance, we now have a tradition here that I cook a hot breakfast on a Sunday morning to give some variety during these months of mundaneness and today's included bacon and a fried egg . . . along with a few things you would probably all throw your hands up in horror over.

I am also struggling deciding on the best meter to purchase. The manufacturer's various sites proudly tell you all the good things they think you want to know, but don't actually say how they are used. Nor do they seem to mention what items you will need to repeatedly buy and how often. I know somebody mentioned one above that sticks on your arm for a few weeks. Presumably it pierces the skin?

Best to all,

John
For me, going really, really low carb has kept my blood sugars in range, or just a temporary smidge over, even when I got steroid shots in my hip and shoulder. Same with with the flu jab, which also raises my numbers. I'm currently fighting a nasty infection which has me running a fever. My blood sugars are slightly elevated, but they're still, much to my surprise, in spite of shivering while I sweat, in the normal range. (6.7 mmol/l, hallelujah, praise the meter!) And I know that makes me lucky. There are those here who require steroids daily. And they will up blood sugars, as will, most likely, the condition that requires you to take them in the first place. And some can tackle that raise with just their diet changes, and some need a little medicinal help, be it through metformin, gliclazide and compatriots, or insulin. The steroids aren't optional, so how you deal with your diabetes will have to be a bit more flexible than if you only had that to deal with. This is again a really good reason to get one of the meters @Rachox listed: you're going to want to measure often, so you'll need the meter with the cheapest strips. Just so you know, again, what works for you and what doesn't, and what your options realistically are. The diet'll help. How you respond to the steroids'll determine how much.

Just in case... Keep in mind your needs are unique and the more you take measurements, the more you'll know what they are. It'd also help your medical team to see what you need to keep all your conditions treated. One more thing though: Carbs are inflammatory by nature. I don't know what you're on steroids for, but if you reduce carbs, inflammation'll reduce too. I know it worked wonders for my rheumatism and IBS anyway.

Keep figuring things out in whatever way you need to, in whatever pace you need to. No rushing into anything if you don't feel comfortable eh. Oh, and onions are below-ground, and some are sweeter than others. Just don't eat a big whole one. ;) And I don't know what squash you're drinking, but just check the label. If it's low in total carbs, go for it.

Now please excuse me, as I seem to be burning this evening's burgers.... ;) (I'll blame it on the fever, so it's not entirely useless.)
Jo

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I am glad you have come back to post.

The diagnosis is a lot! It is more than reasonable to decide to step away from thinking about it from time to time. I found that I got totally obsessed for a while which was not good for my mental health.

What I found worked or me is to go really really low carb. What that meant for me is that I only ate or drank thinks that had virtually no carbs. What this meant for me was no counting or weighing or anything. That helped me find it a bot easier mentally.I still struggled-I'll be honest I miss carbs but what I found is that physically the fewer carbs I eat the less I physically miss them. I stillness them emotionally. It also meant that my decisions about food was already made- no can I have a little of this or that. recently I have probably began eating food which while still low carb (still less than 20 grams a day) have more than I have been eating. That has meant I've put on a couple of kilos and had higher levels. Some of that was over the last week when my husband and I had a short break. Some of it is due to the level of stress at work. I have decided from tomorrow when I go back to work I will try again to go much lower carbs for a while. I'm not really looking forward to it but I think now I have decided this it may be easier.My levels have still been in the normal range but in the high 5 or in the 6s which is higher than they used to be.

This is what works for me- you have to find what works for you. This is where a meter is invaluable. It can tell you what you need to know to make decisions. Some artifical sweeteners cause spikes for me- the meter tells me not to eat/drink those.

Whatever decision you make people here will understand and support you. That is the most amazing part of this site. They will give you ideas if you ask and will let you vent.

Take care of yourself- be kind to yourself. Take the time you need- make the decisions that are right for you.

TheMillerMan

Thank you again, all.

I think I have now got over the initial impact, and feel much more positive about everything now.

By pure coincidence I found the answer on onion last night on a television programme about manufacturing cornish pasties of all things! Packed with sugar, they said, as if it was a good thing . . .

The strange thing is that I can watch a programme like that and find it interesting but at the same time not hanker for food like that.

Get better soon, Jo. Hope the burgers weren't cremated!

John

Reactions: JoKalsbeek

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If I were a vegetarian or vegan I might take offence at that comment but I am not.
Which is of course your right.. however eating foods that are completely free (for the most part) of carbs is obviously very helpful as you can eat unlimited amounts.
The reason I asked is because we see quite a few vegans and vegetarians arrive here newly diagnosed.
I usually ask if they are eating that way for moral or health reasons. If moral that's fine (although in my view misguided), if for their health then it can't be working as they are here. It's a question that I feel needs to be asked.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
One thing worth mentioning is that type 2 means you are pretty well carbohydrate intolerant (You just cannot process them like before) and taking corticosteroids like prednesalone makes you even more intolerant. It's something worth keeping in mind when deciding what to eat.

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I also showed high cholesterol
I too struggle with high cholesterol. I have been trying to consume more fibre to combat this. (Not easy on a VLC diet.) Now I came across this article claiming that unfiltered coffee can raise LDL:
https://www.everydayhealth.com/heart-disease/put-down-the-pour-over-to-protect-your-heart/
My heart sinks, as coffee with double cream is one of the daily treats that light up my rather restricted diet, and some studies seem to show it staves off diabetes (when drunk in moderation). When I last tried filter coffee it seemed to me rather insipid. I also dislike the thought of the waste and expense of filters. (Any suggestions re. coffee making and/or cholesterol lowering welcome.)

Alexandra100

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Newly diagnosed diabetics are usually given both metformin and statins. I know it happened with me too, as the GPs work in mysterious ways indeed
No mystery there for me. The three very kind and would-be-helpful GPs I am in contact with (from a large group practice) simply don't know and won't believe that statins can raise bg, even though in America they have to have a warning that they may lead to diabetes printed on the box. A very powerful article on the subject from our own Diabetes.co.uk here:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/201...creased-risk-of-type-2-diabetes-97343893.html

TheMillerMan

No mystery there for me. The three very kind and would-be-helpful GPs I am in contact with (from a large group practice) simply don't know and won't believe that statins can raise bg, even though in America they have to have a warning that they may lead to diabetes printed on the box. A very powerful article on the subject from our own Diabetes.co.uk here:
https://www.diabetes.co.uk/news/201...creased-risk-of-type-2-diabetes-97343893.html
I don't really think it was quite that way at my medical practice - just a case of "tunnel vision" (as my wife calls it) of the two separate people concerned that I had to see following a blood test which brought bad results on both counts.

Not necessarily the best advice, though, I agree!

John