Type 1 Insulin

Olihill99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey , I am nee diabetic been about three weeks just wondering how many times people inject isulin as I find my self injecting without food to correct highs and have good control at doing it , I end up injecting at most 7 times a day is this too much ?

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I inject typically 6 times a day including one correction dose. Are you carb counting your Bolus dose for each meal yet?

Olihill99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Yeah am carb counting am already on 2:10 tea 1:10 lunch and 1.5:10 breakfast but find my self going abit high nothing bad but I take that correction when I’m going aver ten ,was just wondering if there is any dangers to injecting that many times a day mate accept the obvious hypos ?

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Olihill99, there's no right or wrong number of injections, it just depends how many you need to get good control, though do be wary of stacking insulin as that can lead to nasty hypos.
I use a pump now, but before I got my pump I was typically doing 8-9 injections a day, including 2 basal injections.
According to my pump I bolus 6 times on average per day now, that includes corrections, meals and snacks.

Olihill99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Olihill99, there's no right or wrong number of injections, it just depends how many you need to get good control, though do be wary of stacking insulin as that can lead to nasty hypos.
I use a pump now, but before I got my pump I was typically doing 8-9 injections a day, including 2 basal injections.
According to my pump I bolus 6 times on average per day now, that includes corrections, meals and snacks.

Oh right that’s good to know I’ve been very aware of stacking so it seems to be going okay with the corrections I normally inject 6-7 times a day , quick question on the pump I’ve been reading about them and they seem really useful how did u get a pump on the nhs(if it is even on the nhs) and how do u find using the pump as I would love one but I know that I probs will not be able to get one on nhs ??

Olihill99

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I inject typically 6 times a day including one correction dose. Are you carb counting your Bolus dose for each meal yet?

I do carb count mate yeah just seem to go a tiny bit I’ve ten sometimes and it does head in so I correct it

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Olihill99, I got my pump on the NHS, I got mine because I had lost hypo awareness after 15 years of type 1 and it was causing problems, particularly during the night when I wasn't waking up. It's not easy to get a pump on the NHS, although some forum members seem to have found it a bit easier than others. As you're quite newly diagnosed you would have to wait until your honeymoon period is over before you would be considered for a pump, and you'd have to have a good reason for needing one, otherwise everyone would be getting one and sadly that's just not possible.
The pump has certainly helped with my hypo awareness and it's good to be able to fine-tune your insulin doses or suspend your insulin if you are going low/hypo or increase your basal if you are ill, but they do come with their own challenges, they're not a magic fix for all the problems that come with diabetes.
You should speak to your consultant as a first step and they may be able to advise on the likelihood of you being offered a pump later down the line, as ultimately it is up to them if they want to apply for the funding for you to get a pump.
There is a insulin pump sub-forum where you might want to have a look through some of the threads or do a search and you'll find more info about pumps and questions that have been asked before, there's also a pinned thread on the cost of self-funding if that's something you want to consider.
Hope that helps :)