Lucyclaire7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all.

Been a few months since last posting on here. Been trying to figure life out at a type 1 diabetic. Couple of updates since my last post, blood sugar levels still very unstable, now using libre sensor instead of finger pricking (absolutely love it),weight is slowly creeping back up :(.

Anyway, the reason for my post and subject - slightly embarrassed, more like VERY embarrassed and im hoping someone on here can relate (although if you can I absolutely feel for you). Its not a subject I like discussing, I have spoken to my GP about it today and also struggled to discuss with him - waste of time by the way. he didn't really help at all.

Here goes, in the past couple of weeks I've been having a lot of pain when going to the toilet (number 2). For so long now ive had problems with small tears (fissures) but they've always cleared up within a couple of days and not really been any bother,. Anyway, as the pain gradually got worse and worse I finally decided to investigate last night and upon doing this ive found that a small fissure has turned into 2 quite large tears. Im really struggling to heal it and I wasn't sure if this was due to the Diabetes as im aware skin problems/healing wounds is something diabetics struggle with.

If any of you have suffered this, please please please… how did you fix it? Im worried its just going to get worse & infected. Im also not wanting to go to the toilet (number 2) and doing anything possible to prevent this.

:(

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all.

Been a few months since last posting on here. Been trying to figure life out at a type 1 diabetic. Couple of updates since my last post, blood sugar levels still very unstable, now using libre sensor instead of finger pricking (absolutely love it),weight is slowly creeping back up :(.

Anyway, the reason for my post and subject - slightly embarrassed, more like VERY embarrassed and im hoping someone on here can relate (although if you can I absolutely feel for you). Its not a subject I like discussing, I have spoken to my GP about it today and also struggled to discuss with him - waste of time by the way. he didn't really help at all.

Here goes, in the past couple of weeks I've been having a lot of pain when going to the toilet (number 2). For so long now ive had problems with small tears (fissures) but they've always cleared up within a couple of days and not really been any bother,. Anyway, as the pain gradually got worse and worse I finally decided to investigate last night and upon doing this ive found that a small fissure has turned into 2 quite large tears. Im really struggling to heal it and I wasn't sure if this was due to the Diabetes as im aware skin problems/healing wounds is something diabetics struggle with.

If any of you have suffered this, please please please… how did you fix it? Im worried its just going to get worse & infected. Im also not wanting to go to the toilet (number 2) and doing anything possible to prevent this.

Your GP should give you a diltiazem cream that promotes blood flow in the area. Because of the sphincter, there might not be enough blood there to clot and properly heal. Getting something that widens your blood vessels should help, but far as I know it's only available through the doc. Sorry. :( And you'll have to use it for a week after the pain goes away. I kept stopping too early because it gave me migraines, and no-one'd told me to use it for a while longer than the pain lasted. Duh. Ended up with 3 months worth of migraines instead of maybe a month.

Please do look into why you're getting these fissures. Is your stool very hard? (Mine was). Vaseline may help a little when it comes to not ripping your exit, and maybe finding ways to loosen your stool some, like senna pods and prebiotics, might help with the pain and future fissures. No idea if it's a diabetic thing. I've had issues with my bowels of all kinds, all my life, so can't say anything sensible there.

Good luck!!!!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all.

Oh, and if you feel horribly embarrassed in person, write it in an e-mail or in whatever app your surgery might use. You know exactly what's going on and the more matter-of-fact you put it, the better it'll be.

Reactions: Lucyclaire7

Lucyclaire7

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Your GP should give you a diltiazem cream that promotes blood flow in the area. Because of the sphincter, there might not be enough blood there to clot and properly heal. Getting something that widens your blood vessels should help, but far as I know it's only available through the doc. Sorry. :( And you'll have to use it for a week after the pain goes away. I kept stopping too early because it gave me migraines, and no-one'd told me to use it for a while longer than the pain lasted. Duh. Ended up with 3 months worth of migraines instead of maybe a month.

Please do look into why you're getting these fissures. Is your stool very hard? (Mine was). Vaseline may help a little when it comes to not ripping your exit, and maybe finding ways to loosen your stool some, like senna pods and prebiotics, might help with the pain and future fissures. No idea if it's a diabetic thing. I've had issues with my bowels of all kinds, all my life, so can't say anything sensible there.

Good luck!!!!

Thank you so so so much for your quick response, I was concerned that no one would have anything to say if im honest. I didnt want to over step the mark.

My GP has prescribed some cream called Glyceryl Trintrate so i'm hoping this helps, I have been made aware that this could cause headaches/migraines. I'll start using it today.

Long story short but I used to have bad toilet habits all which stemmed from a mental health perspective I guess.. When I was a lot younger I used to get very embarrassed about people knowing/hearing/smelling that id been to the toilet so I took a lot of Imodium for a long period of time... this then caused issues with going to the toilet and therefore caused small fissures which have never really healed fully. Ive just never experienced anything quite as large or painful as what I have now.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thank you so so so much for your quick response, I was concerned that no one would have anything to say if im honest. I didnt want to over step the mark.

My GP has prescribed some cream called Glyceryl Trintrate so i'm hoping this helps, I have been made aware that this could cause headaches/migraines. I'll start using it today.

Long story short but I used to have bad toilet habits all which stemmed from a mental health perspective I guess.. When I was a lot younger I used to get very embarrassed about people knowing/hearing/smelling that id been to the toilet so I took a lot of Imodium for a long period of time... this then caused issues with going to the toilet and therefore caused small fissures which have never really healed fully. Ive just never experienced anything quite as large or painful as what I have now.
I used imodium chronically as a teen and in my 20's, so I know where you're coming from. No-one really tells you the havoc it can wreak until it's too late, eh. I looked up the cream you got, and it does the same: widen the veins. So that should help. Maybe it'll help the old ones too, if there's not too much scar tissue. Are you aware that you can have surgery done to remove scar tissue and give them a chance to heal? It never got that far for me, but it might be something to look into. I know how much those things hurt. Anyway, try and make sure your stool gets softer than it is now. Embrace the cream. And good luck!!!

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You may also need to drink more while your sugars are erratic. High sugar levels can be dehydrating

Have you got hard stools? this subject is not tmi.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hello all.

Sorry, I can't help with your problem, but sending ((((((((((((( BIG HUGS )))))))))))x

sleepster

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Lucyclaire7, no need to be embarrassed although I appreciate it's easier said than done :cat:
I know you said you have problems actually going to the toilet, but if you don't already can I recommend using a bidet to wash your bottom afterwards, rather than wiping.
I use a "travel bidet", although mostly at home :D You can find them on ebay or amazon and you can use warm or cool water, whichever may help with the soreness, and you could add some epsom salts to the water to help with healing. You said you were worried about infections and using the bidet will help with keeping clean as well.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi @Lucyclaire7, I can tell you've only just joined us because believe me, NOTHING is off limits on this site when talking health...and a good thing too....no need for embarrassment. My adult daughter had exactly the same issue, suffered for ages and then went to see a Dr and was then referred to a Consultant. The Consultant 'told her off' for waiting so long. He gave her a strong cream and several sachets of fibrogel. This did help but eventually she had a colonoscopy to determine whether it was a fissure (tear) or piles. It was a fissure and the continued treatment was the cream and the fibrogel. It has healed but the Consultant said it could still be prone to tears now and then, so it's now 'managed' by fibre/cream and occasional fibrogels. Hope this helps, he said it was a common problem. He also said that if management of it didn't work or if it had been a really bad, deep tear there are surgical procedures available so you really should go see your GP. Hope this helps. x

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
A tear is extremely painful. I had one once, said "never again" and introduced seeds into my diet. I suggest 1-3 tablespoon of milled linseed or chia seeds a day (after tear has healed), then when everything is regular you can reduce the amount to whatever suits you. I have mine mostly in my morning yogurt.