Type 2 going onto insulin

JAEC1954

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Times wasters, being judged or criticised
Over several months my HBA1c has risen from 54 - 96, despite getting in touch with GP it has taken several months of trying different medications to try bring down the blood sugars without success. So now I am going onto insulin I hope it works

ert

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes
fasting
Are you a type 3c diabetic rather than type 2 based on your posts? I hope you get some results you need soon.

miahara

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Insulin
Going on insulin has been best thing that's happened for me.

Tophat1900

Type of diabetes
Type 3c
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Uncooked bacon
Did you ever find out the result for your c-peptide? If it's not enough then yeah, insulin would be the way to go.

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Needing insulin within 3 years of diagnosis is a sign of possibly being a type 1. Did you get the antibody tests and c-peptide?

While a positive antibody test is a sign of type 1, a c-peptide tells how much insulin you are making. A low or low normal is a sign of type 1, high or high normal is a sign of type 2. A type 1 doesn't make enough insulin and it slowly decreases over time to zero or close to zero and that process can take over 8 years plus in some people. A type 2 makes insulin, they just don't utilize it right so they usually are making more than "normal" people. A few type 1's test negative on the antibody test but don't make insulin and they don't know why. My diabetic educator is one of those.

But if you are doing everything right and things don't make sense, you could be a type 1 and not a type 2. 40% of type 1's are misdiagnosed at first as a type 2. I'm not saying you are but it is something to keep in mind.

http://www.diabetesforecast.org/2015/sep-oct/tests-to-determine-diabetes.html

masonap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celebrity pop stars, football.
I must have been similar to you but 5 years ago. My levels kept rising until the Dr said ok insulin. It was the best thing I’ve done for years. Yes it’s a pain in the backside to keep testing and injecting but my results started to improve immediately. Then I discovered low carb and my HbA1c levels are now about 34 all the time. At the same time I reduced drastically the number of units of insulin I was injecting. Have you tried low carb? It isn’t difficult and you don’t have to cut them out completely just be careful and have very small portions, for example last night I had 2 small roast potatoes with my dinner (normally no potatoes at all) and my next finger test was just a tad higher than normal. I rarely eat bread, rice, pasta or potatoes, but if I do I try to have it at lunch time so that I can use up the energy during the afternoon. Of course all the other stuff like biscuits, cakes, crisps, pizza, fruit juice, sweets and chocolate are not allowed.