What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hug for the scary episode and I can see why Mr K is fully supportive. I'm much more wary of fat and fried food. I would tend to eat eggs poached with smashed avo on toast. My salmon every Friday is cooked in butter. I mainly have salad or veggies roasted in olive oil - drizzled over and shaken in a bag. Veggies are and always have been a major part of my diet. I now eat way more fish than I ever dreamed I would. I'm with you on black pudding and anything really with pepper. We rarely eat the same meal or even at the same time since I "lost the plot." As for coats, I have many. The latest one has batteries and heating elements. When walking I soon get hot so I need high tech breathable sportswear - must have a trendy label though.
It was a scary time. I was so ill that they thought that I had type 1 not type 2 which was why I was immediately put on insulin in the hospital. At just over 9 stone I was just skin and bones but didn't realise how ill I was and just thought it was old age creeping up on me. The doctors could not believe that I had been teaching pilates 6 days a week right up to the day before I was admitted to hospital.

I must admit that I found coming away from low fat was hard for me as I truly believed it was the healthiest way to eat. I still don't have a lot of fat but I will eat 20g nuts and 20g cheese for lunch and do have Greek yoghurt and stir fry veggies in butter or olive oil. So not an excess of fat at all but definitely not low fat. Of course I do have cream now - which I suppose is high fat but I do strictly limit it.

I love the idea of the coat with its own heating system. I also like high tech breathable hiking gear. Rohan is my favourite label.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The cold is a real problem. For over 30 years I was always too hot and Julie was cold. We have now totally swapped around. I often need to wear base layer trousers in the house as well as several upper layers. I also need bed socks and PJs as well as the thickest quilt we can get. I'm one who really only wants to wear shorts, no socks and sleep as I was made without sheets, duvet or other rubbish.
Not that it helps although maybe it will reassure the same things happened to Kath and myself. I wear base layers even with heating on and woodburner lit and my hands and feet are always cold, I just thought it was the loss of weigh. I agree can be a really annoying problem.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The second of my Mountain paintings, Snowdon via Crib Goch. Not sure how to finish it, needs somedetailed rocks in the foreground but I also like the unfinished feel so I'm walking away from it for a day or two and see how I feel. If I do more now I know I will overwork it....
.A4 watercolour about 2 hours....
IMG_4196.JPG

Reactions: karen8967

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Operation “Can I get the bus” proved a fruitful recce as... I realised I had been looking at the wrong live tracking times and realised out in the rain that I need to get one going in the opposite direction! I blame old age personally!

sure you know ..BUT just in case.

*edit https://citymapper.com/london?lang=en

which gives live updated bus times.

guys at work used to swear by it.

also good for trains tubes and a map to nearest Santander cycles..how many left etc

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The second of my Mountain paintings, Snowdon via Crib Goch. Not sure how to finish it, needs somedetailed rocks in the foreground but I also like the unfinished feel so I'm walking away from it for a day or two and see how I feel. If I do more now I know I will overwork it....
.A4 watercolour about 2 hours....
View attachment 45931
Another stunning mountain @Muddy Cyclist
I also like the unfinished feel, and I often end up overworking when I should have stopped....

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
sure you know ..BUT just in case.

which gives live updated bus times.

guys at work used to swear by it.

also good for trains tubes and a map to nearest Santander cycles..how many left etc
Yeah I have a fab app for that as well as one with slightly more up to date times.
I plan to leave at 8:30 for a 9:30 appointment for a journey and walk that takes about 45 mins

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Ox cheek casserole with cavolo nero and trial of The Low Carb Food Company seeded bloomer today. On the face of that all seems as though it should fit LCHF. Y'all know my fbg trends and feelings about this WOE.
I will be seriously miffed if the 2 hrs reading takes me above 5.5 - my 90 day average for the period 15.00 to 23.00 is 4.7 on Swipey,

3 things really bug me. Why, since that is about where I have been for 5.5 years, are my A1c levels such a disaster area (all non diabetic, average 5.6 over 5.5 yrs) - IMHO? (Was the cancer growing away then the chemical cocktail causing a problem over 18 - 24 months?) Why, if this is such a great WOE does it mainly leave me cold, hungry and largely tired? Am I right to feel gaslighted by the LCHF Happy Clappers? BTW, I'm loving the 73 kgs (BMI 22.1 ) I'm wearing today. If LCHF can't deliver bg control at least it can do some good. I really want to be a positive presence here but there are some awkward truths to confront. This is why I wonder if I should step away from here for a while.

Hi @ianpspurs

Not saying your wrong, sure we all have our own take on this..
just my two bits, for what that's worth.

I tried to Learn as much as possible once DX'd.
and some of the things i read, determined for me that the body is a cunning foe.

it WILL fight tooth and nail to preserve itself from US

Q. What IF your blood sugar level are MEANT to be in a certain range ?
No higher., no lower.. without issues.
and for each of us that range, like our temperature, our 'stable' blood numbers vary

IF it becomes known its higher. then we are built for..... we all know we could learn to lower it.

But the law of diminishing returns says we can't lower it BEYOND our set personal limit, unless seriously ill,

we can't push it down below a certain X number,
no matter how we eat., because THAT survival instinct kicks in and the liver dumps to save us,
which puts the bloods back up to safety.

we then sigh and cut back further, and once again liver to the rescue ..and so on.
making life less tolerable then it could be.

This progress is not linear i believe the body takes time to settle into any change or upset routine

Hope it's not coming across as smug, but i loved my food pre DX.
Not overly fat, but certainly bigger then i should have been. according to the skinny sided BMI.

on the EATWELL & DIE plan I was Hank Marvin CONSTANTLY.....tired / irritable and feeling rough.

once i embraced the LCHF, life got better.

i now eat very well.
( 2MAD for me.)

as said we all find out own way with guidance from others on here.
but it's OUR bodies / OUR routes that work for US.

so we learn, experiment add/take away, until we find a practical/workable solution for ourselves

Maybe for me, the take I had seeing others journeys, was to perhaps accept it works, but only to a POINT.

for me that point makes sense, and I'm happy with that.( 40 HBA1C last July)
(it's certainly BETTER then the alternative of just leaving it high, so well worth the effort imho)

I hope you find some way to make this WOE accomplish the goals you set yourself

personally i think your journey and numbers are beyond acceptable,
bit it's not me it has to please..

as for chipping out..WHY.
all Reviews help 'buyers' decide.
Even the bad ones inform.

and as the father of thread said in his intro.
full on chat....
so stay and keep adding your take on the world alongside the rest of us..
:)

Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Last edited:

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I sympathise about the coldness. When ever I am around 9 1/2 stone I am so cold even in the summer. Closer to 12 stone I am really toasty. Mr K often says that he cannot understand how someone who is so cold is still alive. He is often shocked at just how cold my hands an feet are.

i wonder if the cold foot was a precursor, for me.

had that for ages before DX.
one sock to bed, right foot.
put it down to a draught or circulation issues..

but, while not drastic i do suffer the cold way more then i used to.
warmer then many others, when cold weather struck.
now on a par I'd say..

deffo snood/neck tubes and a decent jacket, for dog walking has been my saviour as of late..
not used yet but have handwarmers on standby.:D

£1 halfords worth a punt.
work well.
https://www.halfords.com/camping/camping-accessories/hot-hands-hand-warmers-twin-pack-655088.html

Stay toastie.
hug to archie :)

Reactions: ianpspurs

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
My fbg this morning was probably 4.8 my sensor and prickometer gave me a whole range of readings between 3.1 and the afore mentioned 4.8 so i'm sticking with the 4.8 .

Must say all artworks up to the usual high standards so congrats to all our resident artists.

Winner for all those having had a good day.

And hugs for all whose day was not quite what they had hoped for.

God Bless.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @ianpspurs

Not saying your wrong, sure we all have our own take on this..
just my two bits, for what that's worth.

I tried to Learn as much as possible once DX'd.
and some of the things i read, determined for me that the body is a cunning foe.

it WILL fight tooth and nail to preserve itself from US

Q. What IF your blood sugar level are MEANT to be in a certain range ?
No higher., no lower.. without issues.
and for each of us that range, like our temperature, our 'stable' blood numbers vary

IF it becomes known its higher. then we are built for..... we all know we could learn to lower it.

But the law of diminishing returns says we can't lower it BEYOND our set personal limit, unless seriously ill,

we can't push it down below a certain X number,
no matter how we eat., because THAT survival instinct kicks in and the liver dumps to save us,
which puts the bloods back up to safety.

we then sigh and cut back further, and once again liver to the rescue ..and so on.
making life less tolerable then it could be.

This progress is not linear i believe the body takes time to settle into any change or upset routine

Hope it's not coming across as smug, but i loved my food pre DX.
Not overly fat, but certainly bigger then i should have been. according to the skinny sided BMI.

on the EATWELL & DIE plan I was Hank Marvin CONSTANTLY.....tired / irritable and feeling rough.

once i embraced the LCHF, life got better.

i now eat very well.
( 2MAD for me.)

as said we all find out own way with guidance from others on here.
but it's OUR bodies / OUR routes that work for US.

so we learn, experiment add/take away, until we find a practical/workable solution for ourselves

Maybe for me, the take I had seeing others journeys, was to perhaps accept it works, but only to a POINT.

for me that point makes sense, and I'm happy with that.( 40 HBA1C last July)
(it's certainly BETTER then the alternative of just leaving it high, so well worth the effort imho)

I hope you find some way to make this WOE accomplish the goals you set yourself

personally i think your journey and numbers are beyond acceptable,
bit it's not me it has to please..

as for chipping out..WHY.
all Reviews help 'buyers' decide.
Even the bad ones inform.

and as the father of thread said in his intro.
full on chat....
so stay and keep adding your take on the world alongside the rest of us..
:)
Lots to consider there so thank you. 'Tis the season for mulling so I must needs mull awhile. I do often wonder if we all have a personal optimum A1C, weight etc which don't read the medical standards. Take care.

Reactions: dunelm and jjraak

lindisfel

Expert
From what I read on the subject damage to the cardio vascular system starts to occur at an hba1c of c.37 and very slowly increases into and through the pre-diabetic range. The damage is really underway in the 50 and 60's and woe betide any over 100.
Weight is a variable issue and I received a lot of protests from my two daughters and wife when I got down to thirteen stone @1.96. On very low carb.
Now I am c.15 stone and still look thin, I didn't look fat at 17.5 stone max.
The weight change made little difference to my hba1c, but stopping refined carbs stopped the hypers at 1hr and hypos at 2 hours plus after first bite.

My eldest was worried I was getting an eating disorder at 13stone. And I recognise the validity of these things getting obsessional.
People can die when their weight is too low for their body structure.

I was on another forum where a guy had remarkable low trigs and high hdl which he mentioned a lot.
Some years younger than me.....well he went and died suddenly.
Do I believe all that gurus say?...not on your nelly! They bury and forget the ones they mislead.
D.

Last edited:

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
3.8 this evening. BS has been low all day. Will be very interested to see what fbs will be tomorrow. Wouldn't be surprised if DP kicks in and fbs .is a lot higher in the morning.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning and 6 for me today.

Today the contract on MILs bungalow will be completed and keys handed over, at last! Been a long difficult journey started in August. MIL had left £1 on her mortgage for Building Soc to keep deeds safe, you would not believe the amount of trouble that £1 caused.

So a run around day for us today.

Look after time, it's the most precious of possessions. Keep safe.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Blood letting day
6.8 ↗️

Was debating being diligent and putting a couple of articles from my former sub-editor live on my sports website. But that would mean moving and then my body would just assume it would get a cup of coffee ... and as I can’t have anything but water I think lying still in bed watching BBC Breakfast is the better play here.

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Good morning and 6 for me today.

Today the contract on MILs bungalow will be completed and keys handed over, at last! Been a long difficult journey started in August. MIL had left £1 on her mortgage for Building Soc to keep deeds safe, you would not believe the amount of trouble that £1 caused.

So a run around day for us today.

Look after time, it's the most precious of possessions. Keep safe.

Glad that is all coming to a conclusion now @Muddy Cyclist

Why did that £1 left on the mortgage cause problems?
I was advised when I sold my last house, to keep £1 on the mortgage with the building society, in order that I could easily and effortlessly get a loan needed for any repair work on this bungalow or the roof re done etc etc. It was supposed to be a security for me. But my solicitor never carried out my instructions, and I was too stressed still with events next door to remember all this stuff. So it never happened for me.

Reactions: alf_Josiah

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who are struggling to their heads round this diabetic conundrum, you are not alone.

A 5.8 on the meter of mystery and misbehaving.

Well I'm watching a programme on Ronnie Scott and his jazz club, now I'm not very keen on jazz, but the programme is very interesting, I have been invited to go there, but I always turn the invite down.

On another note someone has sent me a bag of sprouts, now I know it's nobody on this forum, how they managed to get a bag sprouts during this time of national shortage I shall never know. To them I shall say thank you.

Have a great day all. Irreverence will be back tomorrow.