Type 1 Please Help! Levemir split advice

tommy9919

Hello,
I am looking for a little advice. Currently I am taking Levemir and Novorapid.
I split the Levemir doses as follows: 4 units at 8.15am and 8 units at 8.15pm.
However, my blood sugars start to drop drastically at 4pm. I have a feeling this may be to do with the 12 hour split. I would like to try to fix this but am a little unsure. Does anyone have any advice what times to inject would reduce the concentration of insulin around 4pm-6pm. Any help would be gratefully received. Thanks.

dancer

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You should contact your diabetes team about making changes.
You could do a basal test to see if the same fall in blood sugar happens. In case you're not sure how to do this, all you have to do is skip lunch or have a carb free lunch with little or no protein. This ensures that your basal is the only insulin on board around 4pm and there's no Novorapid to muddy the picture.

Reactions: tommy9919

tommy9919

You should contact your diabetes team about making changes.
You could do a basal test to see if the same fall in blood sugar happens. In case you're not sure how to do this, all you have to do is skip lunch or have a carb free lunch with little or no protein. This ensures that your basal is the only insulin on board around 4pm and there's no Novorapid to muddy the picture.

Thanks Dancer. I spoke to my diabetic nurse about this issue earlier in the week and she insisted that my mid day Novorapid was causing the drop. Well I did as you suggested today. Turns out my sugar definitely starts to drop at 4pm. So I either need to change my basal doses or the time in which I inject them. I think the next thing to do is to drop my 8am dose of insulin and have a no carb lunch in a few days. Thanks again.

Reactions: dancer