Carb-heavy breakfast today...what should BG do?

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hey all,

I decided to eat carbs with breakfast today... restaurant breakfast with meats, 2 toast, and some potato. It's a choice I weighed carefully, and I'm okay with it. I'm using it as an opportunity to see how my body is responding. I'm taking BG at 30, 60, 90 and 120 minutes. My question is, what levels on those times would you call a "win" and what levels would you say are alarming? For reference, my morning reading (fasting) was 6.7, which is not awesome, but I have pretty persistent dawn effect. My pre-prandial, after DE goes away is usually 5.5 ish.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The smaller the rise the better, NICE guidelines say no more than 2mmol rise after 2hours, but, if the meal had a high(er) fat content then this peak could be later and fat slows down how quickly you process the carbs

Reactions: tklee

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I agree with @lessci
Carbs can affect our blood sugars for much short than and much longer than 2 hours.
Those of us treating our diabetes with insulin know about fast acting carbs (such as jelly babies) which can raise our blood sugars in about 15 minutes. On the other hand, carbs eaten with something fatty such as a curry can still affect my blood sugars 4 or 5 hours after eating.
On top of that is the affect of other things on our blood sugars. I could fast and then go into a stressful meeting and see my blood sugars soar or I could go for a run after a meal and see my blood sugars plummet.

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
My BG peaked at +2.1 mol/l at 90 minutes. At 120 was +1.9, and at 150 was at +.9. So I'm inside the guidelines but just barely.

Reactions: In Response