Type 1
Treatment type
Pump

Mr_Pot

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
D3 1000 IU cost about £5 per 100 tablets so not very expensive if you need to buy them.

Reactions: OrsonKartt

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I agree it’s not expensive to buy, I don’t quality for them so do buy them - bu for some £5 is a lot of money in these trying times- if you need them and can get them at least there’s an option for you

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I think this applies to the EXTREMELY clinically vulnerable which does not include diabetes unless certain extra criteria applies. Same principles as for the notorious shielding letter saga!

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
I've just had an argument with the receptionist at the local GPs. Putting in two new prescriptions from the hospitals endocrinologist, ezetimbe and Vit D. Looking at the Vit D she says, you won't get that, and puts it to one side. Hello? As requested by consultant here. I pointed out that the doctors opinion should probably outweigh hers. Yes well, that surgery isn't prescribing Vit D for people who are only type two diabetic, and not really at risk.

To cut a long story short I end up sitting down with an actual doctor, who easily accepts that the prescription is because my PTH is through the roof, nothing to do with being clinically vulnerable. She apologised, but said it was now the surgery's policy to ONLY prescribe Vit D if the patient is on the clinically vulnerable list, as supplies are low.

I got mad all over again after leaving the surgery as I realised I let the 'only type two' diabetic comment slide. Where does the 'type two' being less than 'type one' attitude come from? And surely the GPs surgery is the last place I should be receiving this attitude.

Reactions: MAGGYNHERKY

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just had an argument with the receptionist at the local GPs. Putting in two new prescriptions from the hospitals endocrinologist, ezetimbe and Vit D. Looking at the Vit D she says, you won't get that, and puts it to one side. Hello? As requested by consultant here. I pointed out that the doctors opinion should probably outweigh hers. Yes well, that surgery isn't prescribing Vit D for people who are only type two diabetic, and not really at risk.

To cut a long story short I end up sitting down with an actual doctor, who easily accepts that the prescription is because my PTH is through the roof, nothing to do with being clinically vulnerable. She apologised, but said it was now the surgery's policy to ONLY prescribe Vit D if the patient is on the clinically vulnerable list, as supplies are low.

I got mad all over again after leaving the surgery as I realised I let the 'only type two' diabetic comment slide. Where does the 'type two' being less than 'type one' attitude come from? And surely the GPs surgery is the last place I should be receiving this attitude.
Well type ones in general shouldn’t be getting prescriptions for vitamin D either in general. Unless you are extremely critically vulnerable which, in general, diabetics are not then you don’t get it in prescription which tied in with what the doctor said. I didn’t know doctors could overrule a hospital script though

the attitudes of the receptionist is off but for some reason, some receptionists seem to think they are able to make decisions over and above the doctors

Interestingly that info in the original posting makes it look like it’s not a prescription service either though

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Seacrow Obviously your doctors surgery at least the receptionist any way does not seem aware that LADA is T1 not T2 so even her rather offensive remark is redundant in your case.

lovinglife

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
[QUOTE="Andydragon, post: 2339387, member: 521079"
Interestingly that info in the original posting makes it look like it’s not a prescription service either though[/QUOTE]
You are correct @Andydragon its for those who have been advised by letter that they are in the extreme clinically vulnerable category, I only posted for info as I know there is a small amount of us who did get letters (not me) thought it would be helpful

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

That really is appalling.

If your PTH is high (and assuming your calcium is elevated too) are you being prescribed Vit D3, as opposed to just "Vit D? If the latter might be worth looking at the potential for positive impacts of adding K2 to the mix.

It wouldn't do anything for your parathyroid, but it is believed to help your body with bone mineral density.

I had a very "interesting" discussion with the metabolic bone bods, recently about Vit D levels.

Last edited:
Reactions: Krystyna23040

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
That really is appalling.

If your PTH is high (and assuming your calcium is elevated too) are you being prescribed Vit D3, as opposed to just "Vit D? If the latter might be worth looking at the potential for positive impacts of adding K2 to the mix.

It wouldn't do anything for your parathyroid, but it is believed to help your body with bone mineral density.

I had a very "interesting" discussion with e rheumatologist recently about Vit D levels.
The request was for colecalciferol, so yes, D3.
The reason I'm seeing a consultant is because it comes with normal Ca, K levels and normal bone density. The GP was nice and honest with me, and said that according to her knowledge and textbooks that shouldn't happen. Immediate referral to consultant, who is also 'interested' in how this works.

But since when does a receptionist think she can override a consultant's prescription? I thought I'd calm down eventually, but I think I feel a bout of letter writing coming on.

Seacrow

Type of diabetes
LADA
@Seacrow Obviously your doctors surgery at least the receptionist any way does not seem aware that LADA is T1 not T2 so even her rather offensive remark is redundant in your case.
Doesn't it make it worse that she knows I'm diabetic, sees I'm fat and assumes type two?

Tannith

BANNED
[QUOTE="Andydragon, post: 2339387, member: 521079"
Interestingly that info in the original posting makes it look like it’s not a prescription service either though
You are correct @Andydragon its for those who have been advised by letter that they are in the extreme clinically vulnerable category, I only posted for info as I know there is a small amount of us who did get letters (not me) thought it would be helpful[/QUOTE]
I think the idea behind the Govt issue Vit D is not that your particular condition would benefit from Vit D but that if you are unable to go out, or go out much, for any reason you are likely to be low in vit D

Reactions: lovinglife

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
The request was for colecalciferol, so yes, D3.
The reason I'm seeing a consultant is because it comes with normal Ca, K levels and normal bone density. The GP was nice and honest with me, and said that according to her knowledge and textbooks that shouldn't happen. Immediate referral to consultant, who is also 'interested' in how this works.

But since when does a receptionist think she can override a consultant's prescription? I thought I'd calm down eventually, but I think I feel a bout of letter writing coming on.

Gosh, great all your other markets, aside from your PTH are fine.

Do you add K2 when you take you're D3. If not, you can buy it as sublingual drops, so very easy to take, although I take D3+K2-Mk7 each morning.

Sometimes it helps just to write it down, review after sleep, then send,..... or not.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I was advised by my GP 3 months ago that it would be a good idea for both me and my OH to start taking VitD.

Reactions: JohnEGreen

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
Had the letter used the link given in the letter applied for the vitamin D so shall wait and see.

Reactions: lovinglife
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Well type ones in general shouldn’t be getting prescriptions for vitamin D either in general. Unless you are extremely critically vulnerable /QUOTE]

I get Vitamin D ad cal tablets on prescription and not because I'm clinically vulnerable.