What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Haven’t quite finished eating for the day - air fried pork belly is still air frying and so will be dinner. May give the pre-treating in the IP a go next time given your success @DJC3
Lunch was carnivore pizza topped with pepperoni and chorizo.

I put it on the trivet, meat setting for about 20 mins vaguely following @DCUKMod ‘s unscripted methods!

Edit to correct tag

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and raspberry phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a few pecans.
Dinner: prawn cocktail, leafy salad, coleslaw and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Have updated my signature to include my latest HbA1c result that I got today, it is 36, happy with that after the year I’ve had and a bit of weight gain :)

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@Rachox congrats on results as you say amazing considering the challenging year you’ve navigated so well. Difficult things like the loss of your father have been so much harder than normal - and never easy - during these awful covid times.
I’ve not managed to post for three days but have read when could and thinking of you all and your ups and downs - feel like you’re all part of my family and friends circle.
Challenging few days but ended today with long fairly helpful phone meeting with social services moving a bit forward albeit painfully slowly. Not sure can remember in full what I ate last few days but generally lowish carb and more importantly did my 45mins of hard early morning swimming each day very good for clearing the mind once I can persuade myself to force myself out into the dark cold wet! Also most were put off so few of us there wonderful experience.
Today I had
Breakfast ravenous after early cold swim a cooked tomato with slice of bacon,egg and one slice of lc toast
Lunch one slice lc toast and pate and one montezumas peanut butter egg
Dinner salmon with lemon butter,cauliflower cheese and four new potato chips with large glass of dry white wine followed by DGF carrot cake.
Just ordered more DGF cakes the Christmas variety including Christmas pudding freezer has plenty but got tempted again! Mind you they keep me on the level. I know we are all different but for me just a little of lc versions of what I used to eat help me stay on track. I find just one small piece hits the spot.

notepadplusplus

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Skipped breakfast and lunch today. Felt very full, probably because of the pork scratching I had the night before.

I mentioned a week or so ago that I'd be trying keto yorkshire puddings/toad in the hole. Made some tonight, but I think the lard I used wasn't hot enough before I put the batter in + the oven was too hot, so the yorkshire itself crisped up quite a bit, but some parts weren't too cooked.

Not to waste food, I remembered that there is a yorkshire pudding wrap shop up in York, I "rescued" it by flattening the pud and put it in a frying pan to quickly cook the softer bits. Still tasted delicious - just deconstructed!

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I put it on the trivet, meat setting for about 20 mins vaguely following @DCUKMod ‘s unscripted methods!

Edit to correct tag

If you prefer it that way, then I suggest doing a few slices at once, then chop and freeze then, either open frozen, then bagged, or bagged in "portions".

I haven't but I would bet my pocket money @Brunneria would cook those from frozen.

This evening my main meal, main player was an airfried chicken leg quarter, with oil and lemon pepper, after @Goonergal mentioning it recently.

There may have been a few chippy chips on my plate, which are now in my tummy. (MrB had chippy F&C, but I do my own meat to ensure no gluten.)

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Wednesday 2 December - bed 6.3 FBG 6.9. I had horror readings later in the day but it turns out the Libre sensor was upset after the bleed yesterday. It took another day to settle and a few finger stabs managed to sort out how far out it was. It's fine now. @DJC3 - peas? I too happily eat a few frozen peas but nothing compared to fresh peas. I cannot sit and pod them as I'd eat most of them. Mrs T 123 glad the rolls got there. MrsA2 - doesn't help if you are getting the avocados delivered but, if you are in the shop have a look under the little seed thing - brown, it's past the best, green it's ripe. The frying pan thing @annabell1 mentioned was again another Masterchef mention during the skills test when Marcus commented the pan wasn't hot enough and the fish would stick. The chef had the sense to take the fish out again until the pan got to the right temperature and sure enough it didn't stick.
B. TAG and a SLC sandwich with egg mayo.
L. Yes, I had lunch. Another SLC sandwich with the last of the smoked salmon and M&S whipped cheese. A DGF no carrot cake.
D. A casserole of lamb and various bits - carrot, onion, turnip, green beans and a mix of various beans. All done in the IP with a mix of lamb stock, seasoning and a good dash of Lee & Perrins. Had it is cauliflower. Yet another DGF no carrot.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Skipped lunch.
Dinner: prawn cocktail, leafy salad, coleslaw and pork scratchings followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Have updated my signature to include my latest HbA1c result that I got today, it is 36, happy with that after the year I’ve had and a bit of weight gain :)
Congratulations on HbA1c

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I, too, had to be up and out early in the cold, but only to go to yoga class. Had secretly hoped it would snow so would have excuse not to go, but no just grey and miserable (the weather that is!). Its not quite the same doing yoga in a very cold hall with the doors open. She did get us warm enough to shed a few layers, but I still keep plenty of layers on.
Skipped breakfast
L: 2 eggs scrambled with a good handful of mozzerella, and half an avocado. I've read of people frying chunks of avocado so I did add them to the egg pan but only for a couple of minutes so they were warm rather than fried. Quite pleasant actually.

Mid afternoon, Wrapping parcels to send to nephews meant a couple of proper (aka milk ) chocolates fell into my mouth, whoops! First in 8 months, thought maybe they'd be too sweet, oh no just gorgeous

D: Bacon cheeseburger pie, from an easy recipe I'll put onto cmt. Very tasty. Served with boiled courgette and cabbage and a glass of wine

@maglil55 thanks for the avocado tip. I'll try that in future

BTW, the lidl app this week offers 15% off baking ingredients including coconut flour and ground almonds

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@DJC3 I've seen them in Supermarkets as well but usually in separate packs since I've bouth them for a cauliflower rice mushroom risotto. Tesco in their Finest range have an exotic mushroom mix and Morrison in The Best range do a woodland mushroom mix.

I’ve found them in markets too, but I don’t go to the big supermarkets much these days. It’s quite an adventure if I do and I end up spending far too much!

Reactions: maglil55

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
If you prefer it that way, then I suggest doing a few slices at once, then chop and freeze then, either open frozen, then bagged, or bagged in "portions".

I haven't but I would bet my pocket money @Brunneria would cook those from frozen.

This evening my main meal, main player was an airfried chicken leg quarter, with oil and lemon pepper, after @Goonergal mentioning it recently.

There may have been a few chippy chips on my plate, which are now in my tummy. (MrB had chippy F&C, but I do my own meat to ensure no gluten.)

Good idea, after Christmas maybe when my minuscule freezer has some space. It’s full with other family members’ fishfingers atm - very frustrating.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Skipped lunch.

Great result! Especially with such a horrible year. Well done!

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Skipped lunch.

That's a wonderful result and well deserved. I am always amazed at how self controlled your eating is. A huge WELL DONE YOU.

Sugarlisa

30g branflakes with semi skimmed and small banana with a English tea (black )

Tuna salad sandwich on wholemeal bread for lunch with a glass of water and peppermint tea

Homemade chicken curry with chickpeas and Mediterranean veg and wholemeal couscous and glass of sugar free squash

Reactions: zauberflote

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
30g branflakes with semi skimmed and small banana with a English tea (black )

Tuna salad sandwich on wholemeal bread for lunch with a glass of water and peppermint tea

Homemade chicken curry with chickpeas and Mediterranean veg and wholemeal couscous and glass of sugar free squash
Hi @Sugarlisa I know you are new and waiting on some things but that is quite high in carbs. Most of us would avoid branflakes, bananas, bread and chickpeas and couscous. Although your squash is sugar free that is being outweighed by everything else

Reactions: maglil55 and Rachox

Sugarlisa

Hi @Sugarlisa I know you are new and waiting on some things but that is quite high in carbs. Most of us would avoid branflakes, bananas, bread and chickpeas and couscous. Although your squash is sugar free that is being outweighed by everything else
Ok looks like air for me since I can’t get my brain round planning meals without carbs

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Ok looks like air for me since I can’t get my brain round planning meals without carbs

I appreciate you have been told you needn't self test, Lisa, but to be honest, that's what really helped me get to grips with things.

If I tested after a meal and the number was bigger than it should be, I knew I either had to eat less of he carbs in what I'd eaten, or alternatively, give it a rest for a while.

Starting to test doesn't mean you have to do it forever, but that individually tailored, instant feedback (from my meter, and support from forum members) to me was really a big breakthrough.

Maybe just give it a bit of thought.

Sugarlisa

I appreciate you have been told you needn't self test, Lisa, but to be honest, that's what really helped me get to grips with things.

If I tested after a meal and the number was bigger than it should be, I knew I either had to eat less of he carbs in what I'd eaten, or alternatively, give it a rest for a while.

Starting to test doesn't mean you have to do it forever, but that individually tailored, instant feedback (from my meter, and support from forum members) to me was really a big breakthrough.

Maybe just give it a bit of thought.

That’s should be fun only done it once before I got discharged from hospital, sorry for been a grumpy madam