Hi incoming newbie

OrdinaryWorld

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi am new to this site, was diagnosed type 2, two years ago this summer and put on Metformin.
I was ok for a couple of months, then life hit and things got bad for sometime.

Roll forward to this spring am shielding due to asthma, luckily I can work from home. But became aware of a strange sensation in my foot and thinking about it, it may have been there a while.

This has carried on and not improved. My toes on right foot are quite fuzzy, numb in some places.

when diagnosed my h number was 83, I was due a check up when I went into shielding so hasn’t happened yet. My waking numbers vary around 15-17.

Any advice on how best to move forward? Thank you

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. That blood sugar is far too high and the foot problem could be early neuropathy. What sort of diet do you have? You need to keep the carbs way down. Are you overweight or slim?

OrdinaryWorld

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. That blood sugar is far too high and the foot problem could be early neuropathy. What sort of diet do you have? You need to keep the carbs way down. Are you overweight or slim?

beginning of year was low carb. Really struggled in lock down and diet gone to pot, but have started making changes again.

Am wondering if I should get on to diabetic nurse and talk to her.

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Am wondering if I should get on to diabetic nurse and talk to her.
Kind of depends on the nurse. Some are great. Supportive and give details of how to effect change. Some just bang on about taking pills, progressive disease, low fat or “eating well” and have little useful information to offer. Of course medication can help some type 2 but it should always follow real dietary efforts not be instead of them.

Reactions: Lizzie2

rebecca4152

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi am new to this site, was diagnosed type 2, two years ago this summer and put on Metformin.

Roll forward to this spring am shielding due to asthma, luckily I can work from home. But became aware of a strange sensation in my foot and thinking about it, it may have been there a while.

This has carried on and not improved. My toes on right foot are quite fuzzy, numb in some places.

when diagnosed my h number was 83, I was due a check up when I went into shielding so hasn’t happened yet. My waking numbers vary around 15-17.

How is your B12? Im taking B12 supplement because metformin is linked to B12 deficiency.

masonap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celebrity pop stars, football.

Those numbers are far too high, I see that others have mentioned low carb and I agree that this is the best way forward.
Avoid as much as you can of: all types of Bread, Rice, Pasta and Potatoes, and anything made with them. Obviously this also includes anything breakfast cereals and anything made with chocolate, sugar, or flour. Never drink fruit juice or smoothies either as both have far too many carbs. If you can do this then it is a good start and you will quickly see results. You obviously have a testing meter so I suggest you download the MySugr App, if you record 3 or 4 readings every day, then after 7 days the app will give you your estimated HbA1c reading, you should be aiming for it to be half of your original diagnosis. I'm very well controlled and mine is 35.

OrdinaryWorld

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Those numbers are far too high, I see that others have mentioned low carb and I agree that this is the best way forward.
Avoid as much as you can of: all types of Bread, Rice, Pasta and Potatoes, and anything made with them. Obviously this also includes anything breakfast cereals and anything made with chocolate, sugar, or flour. Never drink fruit juice or smoothies either as both have far too many carbs. If you can do this then it is a good start and you will quickly see results. You obviously have a testing meter so I suggest you download the MySugr App, if you record 3 or 4 readings every day, then after 7 days the app will give you your estimated HbA1c reading, you should be aiming for it to be half of your original diagnosis. I'm very well controlled and mine is 35.
Thank you very much for this have download app and going to start as you suggest. Thank you

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

Deciding to download the app and start regularly testing is a great step. I recommend going low carb but the meter will tell you how low carb you need to go. I think there is nothing like testing regularly to allow you to decide what food you should/should not be eating.

In relation to the diabetic nurse- well some of the medical profession can be helpful- others less so. No problem listening but following the meter is the real thing to do.

Good luck and welcome.

Reactions: Susie2021

Perminder1

Hi I got diagnosed type 2 March 20 very recently on metoformin 3 times a day and may massive du6et changes curt out all sugar and processed sugar foods buscuits cakes etc also onily drink tea drop of milk and water...h number was 96 in March 20..was told not to worry about testing by my GP but managed to get him to give me a monitor been testing at home since about start if April 20 find my morning fasting numbers are around 5 to 6.5 max after evening meal before bed around 5 to max 7 ish...is that good any advise welcomed

Hello my mom is taking metformin also for her high blood pressure and blood sugar though she doesn't like the side effects for it. She loves carb smart candy bars and salad for lunch she does watch her diet too. I found out that if the doctor does not focus on her blood pressure she doesn't get so upset i don't know what's up with that though.she does get high numbers at the doctor like everyone else here welcome to the board

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Does the Mysugr App cost anything?

HSSS

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello my mom is taking metformin also for her high blood pressure and blood sugar though she doesn't like the side effects for it. She loves carb smart candy bars and salad for lunch she does watch her diet too. I found out that if the doctor does not focus on her blood pressure she doesn't get so upset i don't know what's up with that though.she does get high numbers at the doctor like everyone else here welcome to the board
There’s a slow release version that suits some people better. Side effects shouldn’t last more than a few weeks. I’d suggest she sees her dr to discuss it. Also it might be possible to alter her diet to more low carb as many in here do to control her sugars without the metformin at all. Why not suggest she join here herself and we can make suggestions directly.

masonap

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celebrity pop stars, football.
Does the Mysugr App cost anything?

No it is free to use but you can ‘upgrade’ for a monthly fee but I don’t think it is worth it. I use the free version.