Keto Question

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

I decided to go keto for the last 4 weeks, not for any special reason as I am happy with being low(ish) carb, around 80 to 100 a day but wanted to see what effect it had on my glucose levels. Again, my levels have been absolutely fine & within target up to now so NO particular reason other than curiosity. I make sure my insulin is adjusted too of course.

In the first 2/3 days, I checked my ketone levels (blood test strip) and it went up from 0.1 on day 1 to 0.9 on day 3.

Around day 4, it went down to 0.6.

A week into it and it was up to 1.8 followed a few days later to 2.3.

After 2 to 3 weeks it suddenly went down to 1.0, then 0.1 (???), the following day back up to 0.9.

Now it sits around 0.7.

I know it can fluctuate but to this extent? I KNOW I am eating 35 carbs a day, there is NO doubt about that as I am careful, eggs/meat/cheese/ and occasionally above ground veg of 10 carbs, no more.

I feel fine, no keto flu and my glucose levels sit around 4 to 5 (previously were 5 to 6).

My Question is, is it normal to seemingly show higher ketones at the start and then 3 weeks later much lower ones and to still be classed as in keto????

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

I decided to go keto for the last 4 weeks, not for any special reason as I am happy with being low(ish) carb, around 80 to 100 a day but wanted to see what effect it had on my glucose levels. Again, my levels have been absolutely fine & within target up to now so NO particular reason other than curiosity. I make sure my insulin is adjusted too of course.

In the first 2/3 days, I checked my ketone levels (blood test strip) and it went up from 0.1 on day 1 to 0.9 on day 3.

Around day 4, it went down to 0.6.

A week into it and it was up to 1.8 followed a few days later to 2.3.

After 2 to 3 weeks it suddenly went down to 1.0, then 0.1 (???), the following day back up to 0.9.

Now it sits around 0.7.

I know it can fluctuate but to this extent? I KNOW I am eating 35 carbs a day, there is NO doubt about that as I am careful, eggs/meat/cheese/ and occasionally above ground veg of 10 carbs, no more.

I feel fine, no keto flu and my glucose levels sit around 4 to 5 (previously were 5 to 6).

My Question is, is it normal to seemingly show higher ketones at the start and then 3 weeks later much lower ones and to still be classed as in keto????

Personally, I have never chased ketosis, although for sure I have had periods where I will undoubtedly have been there.

As I understand it, for those with low (very undefined, but critically, as opposed to high) blood sugars, the presence of ketones signifies ketosis.

How are you feeling yourself on that way of eating?

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Personally, I have never chased ketosis, although for sure I have had periods where I will undoubtedly have been there.

As I understand it, for those with low (very undefined, but critically, as opposed to high) blood sugars, the presence of ketones signifies ketosis.

How are you feeling yourself on that way of eating?

Hi there, same as usual to be honest, no difference. x

michita

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello, I don’t regularly check ketones but when I checked to use up soon expiring test strip I once bought, I’ve seen the level anything between 0.5 to 3.5 at random. So to answer your question for me yes I experienced the same. I eat around 50g carbs a day.

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Every since i started my diet and entered ketosis and my body became fat adapted , my ketone reading varies between 2 to 3.5.

It goes to higher end when i do longer fasting but with alternate day fasting it is around 2 to 2.5.

I actually did get keto flu initially but now its just routine.

Hope this helps.

Robbity

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
My take is that since ketones are a byproduct of our bodies burning fats, and are there to be used rather than sit there giving us pretty figures, their levels will naturally go up and down depending on the amounts and proportions of carbs and fats we consume and use as fuel.

And I would expect ketone levels to be higher before we are actually "fat adapted" and using them, and then tend to decrease and fluctuate as our bodies start using them.