Type 1'stars R Us

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Perhaps my use of "surrender" was confusing @Jaylee.
When I was first diagnosed T1, I contacted the DVLA who sent me the form and on completion I had to send it back along with my licence.
When they returned my licence, it was a new one that was only valid for 3 years ie Oct 2020
I received a new form earlier this year and had to go through the same process and send off form and licence so now I'm waiting for my "new" licence, valid for another 3 years

Hi.

Whilst the DVLA are processing "fitness to drive," your entitlement to drive is still valid up to the expiry date on the current document held.
It would be a little tricky if one couldn't produce a currently valid driving licence as a road user in the event of getting stopped by the cops or possibly something like applying for a driver's job.. ;)

As i mentioned up stream. I have never been requested by DVLA to send back my currently issued licence whilst submitting my DIAB1 form for renewal.

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, not as bad a day here as forecast, sadly have spent way too much of it scrubbing floors. Somerset mud and dogs......but my reduced basal still seems to be working nicely. Fingers crossed.

@SueJB and @Jaylee, I seem to remember having to submit my licence when I was first diagnosed. Am I right in thinking that you had T1 when you got your first licence @Jaylee? That would explain the different experience perhaps, as otherwise I'd've still had a licence vaild till 70 or whenever it is, plus the new one. Just a thought.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@SueJB and @Jaylee, I seem to remember having to submit my licence when I was first diagnosed. Am I right in thinking that you had T1 when you got your first licence @Jaylee? That would explain the different experience perhaps, as otherwise I'd've still had a licence vaild till 70 or whenever it is, plus the new one. Just a thought.

I passed my test back in 1986? (all paper licences back then. No photo ID.)
I seem to remember submitting my provisional licence along with the relevant documentation regarding my "pass." From then on regarding application for renewal every 3 years. It has never been a requirement to send the current valid restricted licence back with the fitness to drive form.

Sue's 3 year restricted licence that was issued on her diagnosis is due to expire. & she has filled out the form & applied to renew. (Like we all do.)
Regarding sending the license back with the renewal application.? No need.:D

Last edited:

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I passed my test back in 1986? (all paper licences back then. No photo ID.)
I seem to remember submitting my provisional licence along with the relevant documentation regarding my "pass." From then on regarding application for renewal every 3 years. It has never been a requirement to send the current valid restricted licence back with the fitness to drive form.

Sue's 3 year restricted licence that was issued on her diagnosis is due to expire. & she has filled out the form & applied to renew. (Like we all do.)
Regarding sending the license back with the renewal application.? No need.:D
Sorry, misread Sue's post, thought it was just the first licence she had to send back. Agree, I've never had to return one of the three year ones.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sorry, misread Sue's post, thought it was just the first licence she had to send back. Agree, I've never had to return one of the three year ones.

No worries, glad we cleared that up.. I renewed my licence last February? Believe it or not, I usually do it round October time every 3. Which was roughly when I passed my test. (Possibly late September? October by the time it was processed.)
But the last one issued, through some admin mess up gave me a 4 month extension. :p

karen8967

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Good morning everyone
FB_IMG_1561140088165.jpg

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all, went for a deeply unpleasant walk in stinging rain and a bitter wind. It stopped just as I got home and the sun's out now. Oh well.

Hope everyone's having a good weekend with steady, in range bgs. I'm trying not to feel smug about my string of 5 somethings on waking because the minute I do - well, you all know the story!;)

Reactions: karen8967
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Afternoon, in 2nd day of isolation. I cleaned out a cupboard yesterday morning and started knitting a small teddy bear, so if it turns out ok, I will post a photo :snaphappy: I also made a corned beef hash and will have the rest for dinner tonight :angelic:
Daughter is going food shopping soon, so she has a list and my bank card....................:wideyed: lol
Hope you all have a great weekend, whatever you may do or not do, take care and stay safe :)

Reactions: hh1 and karen8967

Japes

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
It's a good job virtual hugs are still allowed @Robinredbreast .

I have been managing to dodge any contact with any of our staff/students who have tested positive - but I believe we're up to 5 groups (out of 25 or so) of students self-isolating, with one poor lot on their 2nd round of it. But, in the grand scheme of things, we're still doing remarkably well for how few people have been directly affected.

We return to church services tomorrow, though official advice about "not mingling" in Tier 3 is completely bemusing me along with the whole Christmas advice around singing out of doors or indoors only if you have a choir who can distance... Yeah, right.

Still, I've done the work for the pre-recorded on-line Carol services and just have to consider recording them onto DVDs for the majority of our small congregation who don't do internet...

Diabetes, we're pootling on together in a reasonably amicable fashion which suits me fine.

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
Hi guys!

Hope you are all enjoying the evening

I recent bought a book that was recommended to me on here, bright spots and landmines. Does anyone else have any other recommendations, preferably ones that provide advice on type 1 diabetes and excercise?

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Morning all! I knew it - 9.1 this morning! Celeriac mash is obviously more carby than I allowed for.

We had a 'light up for Christmas' in my village last night - more of a 'light up to cheer up' really. At 5pm everyone lit their lights and people wandered around looking at them all. No pressure and not everyone did anything and there was nothing OTT but there were some really pretty ones and some simple yet clever and really effective ones. Also really nice to bump into lots of people who I see less because it's winter. Just a little bit of feel-good. Hope you all get some this weekend!

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone, I hope your enjoying the weekend.
I'm hoping someone can help me with an issue I've got.
As some of you are aware my diabetes isn't great and my kidneys are even worse and due to this I suffer with really bad cramp in my hands, feet and legs. I've been on medication for a while for it which only really takes the edge of it but my doctor has stopped my medication for it for the time being as he said they will make my kidneys worse. He wants to see what the hospital want to do. He has told me the only thing I can do is find some home remedies to help while I'm waiting. I'm really struggling with it, Thursday night I had one spell of cramps that lasted an hour in both legs. I'm having trouble eating dinner as I keep getting in my hands.
I'm not expecting it to go completely but I would love to try and ease it of a bit.
Any ideas will be much appreciated

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi everyone, I hope your enjoying the weekend.
I'm hoping someone can help me with an issue I've got.
As some of you are aware my diabetes isn't great and my kidneys are even worse and due to this I suffer with really bad cramp in my hands, feet and legs. I've been on medication for a while for it which only really takes the edge of it but my doctor has stopped my medication for it for the time being as he said they will make my kidneys worse. He wants to see what the hospital want to do. He has told me the only thing I can do is find some home remedies to help while I'm waiting. I'm really struggling with it, Thursday night I had one spell of cramps that lasted an hour in both legs. I'm having trouble eating dinner as I keep getting in my hands.
I'm not expecting it to go completely but I would love to try and ease it of a bit.
Any ideas will be much appreciated

Sorry to read of your bad cramp.
I found this link and it has some helpful home remedies too. https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/319951?c=1223946824457#what-causes-hand-cramps
Take care

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
@Lee farrington
When I was getting cramping really bad from a medication I was using, Hylands Leg Cramp ointment worked well. Before I went to bed and then during the night as needed. Print out the ingredients to show to your doctor to make sure if it's okay. Magnesium will be in a lot of the oral remedies, but be very careful of that as minerals you usually have to be careful of with your kidneys. You might start looking up information on CoQ10 and kidneys.

Last edited:

hh1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
@Lee farrington I get cramp too, though my kidney function is fine. I find that for legs, sitting for any length of time heightens the likelihood, so regular moving about helps me. Also doing any work which involve prolonged stretching of muscles can give me cramp later on. I'm also helped with avoiding calf cramp by really stretching my calves at bedtime - the stretch where you either draw your toes towards you, or stand on a stair and drop your heels.

I've never figured out what causes my (occasional) cramp in my fingers and toes, but I agree it's literally a pain and hard to stop. However, I did some research into vitamins/minerals/supplemets and decided the downside of all of them didn't appeal so I avoided doing any of that and try to keep the bits of me that do cramp more active. I don't know what your doctor meant by 'home remedies' but I don't necessarily think they include supplements etc. I certainly wouldn't take any without checking it out first, and I've found that often pharmacists are more on the ball with that than a lot of doctors. I really hope you find something as I truly know how bad thigh cramps can be - to the point of tears of pain. Good luck and lots of sympathy!