To go to doctor or not...

Hollymay589

Hi all. I have a parent with T1 diabetes which has always made me more wary of it. I do not have diabetes myself. This past couple of days I have felt awful. I need to wee much more than usual and it’s very sudden and urgent, I also have a headache, and feel completely exhausted. My legs keep going all tingly aswell. These are probably all unrelated things but like I say i grey up surrounded by diabetes and it’s become a worry of mine. Today I’ve used my parents blood sugar monitor to check my levels 2 times. It was 6.6 early in the day and then 10.8 just after dinner. Do these levels seem ok to everyone or is it a concern?

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
From what I know blood sugars rise after meals in people who have not got diabetes. How soon after dinner did you test?
I always say that if you are concerned about your health always go express the concerns to a doctor.
I have no family history of type 1 diabetes, yet I was diagnosed in pregnancy at the age of 23. It can literally happen to anyone. If you’re concerned, see a doctor.

Reactions: Robinredbreast

mentat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
10.8 is much higher than normal, but not life-threatening. Go to a doctor as soon as you can but you don't need to go to Emergency.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I’d echo what’s said above. I felt similar symptoms & asked my doctor to check for diabetes. They took some blood, results a week later came back at 11 but during that time my blood glucose had risen to 25 & I had ketones.

Call a medical professional today & get checked out. If it won’t mess up your parents records I’d continue to check your levels with their machine whilst you wait for the doctor to catch up.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@hollymay - your 10.8 reading may be higher than desirable, or you may just have caught a sharp upturn that even "normal" folks experience a while after eating, possibly something containing a decent amount of carbs.

To be honest, without a bit more information around when that 10.8 happened - how long after you had eaten and what you had eaten, it renders your question a bit meaningless.

It's a bit like asking "is 1 metre of string too long?" when we would not know how it was being proposed to be used.

That's certainly not to ridicule you, but to explain why there might be variable responses.

If you have concerns, then a quick chat with you GP would be worthwhile. Whilst they may be unwilling to see you face to face in the first instance, GPs seem to be doing lots of telephone consultations, then planning (investigations, of whatever) from there.

Reactions: ert

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
As you are concerned enough to post on here and ask us - you should lift the phone and make an appointment with your GP - the longer you leave something the worse it can be and hey you may even be ok and have been worrying yourself about nothing and worry and stress alone can increase blood sugar levels. Good Luck. Take care. Let us know how you get on and we are here if you need us.

Reactions: Circuspony

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all. I have a parent with T1 diabetes which has always made me more wary of it. I do not have diabetes myself. This past couple of days I have felt awful. I need to wee much more than usual and it’s very sudden and urgent, I also have a headache, and feel completely exhausted. My legs keep going all tingly aswell. These are probably all unrelated things but like I say i grey up surrounded by diabetes and it’s become a worry of mine. Today I’ve used my parents blood sugar monitor to check my levels 2 times. It was 6.6 early in the day and then 10.8 just after dinner. Do these levels seem ok to everyone or is it a concern?
1 There is only a weak link between parent with type 1 and risk of getting it yourself but you are hyper aware of the chance because of your parent. More of a risk if your parent is your dad btw but it is still a weak risk factor.
2 Neither of your blood sugars are cause for concern given that you only got the 10+ after a meal and if that meal had pasta, rice, icecream, bread etc. that would be a normal reaction.
Go to the doctor and ask for your mean average (hba1c) blood sugar to be sure you are neither type 1 or type 2. The other symptoms could be signs of an infection so it is worth getting those checked if they persist.
Once that is done I wouldn't test again without knowing how to really interpret the results as it will a waste of test strips.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bullies, Liars, Trolls and dishonest cruel people
Hi, you've had some very helpful replies, so whatever it is, go and get it checked out, a call to your surgery should be made asap.
Just a note here, about 2/3 years ago, my son wasn't feeling great, he had similar symptoms to diabetes, so being concerned I made him call his surgery for a check up and found out he had quite high cholesterol.
Good luck and wishing you all the best.