Dafne course

Poodlelady

Dislikes
I dislike people who swear a lot, shout and are rude. I dislike people who tell me what I should and should not be doing when they haven't the first idea about Diabetes.
Hi there, at last I have received an invitation to attend a DAFNE course, it is in two parts and is in December. I was told that I could not attend a course until next year, so a space must have come up for me. I am looking forward to it.

Now that I am on Novarapid and Levemir, (feeling like a pin cushion) my sugar levels are under control and I have so much more energy and feel so much better. I had a bad reaction to Novamix 30 and was very ill with it and had no help at all until I took myself off to the clinic and demanded to be seen. Then it was decided to change me onto the 4 times a day jabs.

I would like to thank fallenstar who has been such a great help to me, thank you so much.

Fallenstar

Hi PL :D
Weird, I was running along in the horizontal rain at 5 o'clock this morning, thinking ...I must be mentally ill, Noooo, I thought of you!!! I wondered how you were getting on and now I am :D :D :D So glad you have turned everything around and are starting to get some normality back to your life.

It really is great here, I have got a lot of help and support and let's face it with Diabetes it is an ongoing thing, so it's good to have a place to come if you need the help . Great news about DAFNE, but it sounds like you have done great on your own too, but it all adds into the mix.

Hope you hang around and keep us updated on how you find DAFNE.

All the very best . Xxx

duranie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Winter!
DAFNE will be a great help. I thought I knew what I was doing, but it teaches you so much about how your body works/or doesn't lol.

Don't be worried if your blood glucose reading seem to go out of control for a couple of months after DAFNE, this is usual and they should warn you that your first HBa1c after the course will go up.

Have fun x

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Poodlelady,

Good luck with the DAFNE course and I am sure your going to see some big improvements soon! :D

Just remember that the course gives you the knowledge and the tools but it is up to the individual to put it in place and do all the hard work, the first couple of months (as duranie says) can be difficult but stick with it and it will all come together and make sense.

Nigel

Poodlelady

Dislikes
I dislike people who swear a lot, shout and are rude. I dislike people who tell me what I should and should not be doing when they haven't the first idea about Diabetes.
I will keep updating as I go along, thanks for the warning about my levels going up or down to start with. I seem to have everything going the way I want it to go and am surprised at my sugar levels are so even at the moment, even though I don't strictly stick to a rigid diet and even had the odd little piece of chocolate now and then. I have booked my hubby and I into a nice Christmas lunch and am going to enjoy every mouthful :lol:

I am so grateful for all the help and support I have received on this site, it is wonderful, than you all so much.

Poodlelady

Dislikes
The course last night wasn't the true DAFNE course it was part of it, carb counting. It was very interesting and now I have a little diary to fill in each time I put something into my mouth. I had fun weighing my breakfast as I have cereals, yes, you read right cereals, all 3 of them. When I saw how little of each I was having I was quite pleased with myself. The next course is next week when apparently (all 3 of us) are taken one step further with carb counting. It becomes second nature in the end so I am told and you can estimate the carbs. As it turned out I am taking the right amount of insulin (novarapid) for the food I am eating. What shocked me was that the DSN told me that a tea cake had less carbs in it than bread! :shock: she was wrong so lunch is going to be drastically altered from now on and evening time sugar levels will be more in the normal range (I hope). I do wish I'd had all this told to me when I was diagnosed and not just left to get on with it as it were.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Poodlelady said:
I do wish I'd had all this told to me when I was diagnosed and not just left to get on with it as it were.

Don't we all Poodlelady! :)

When I was diagnosed we had carbohydrate exchanges, in comparison to what is taught on DAFNE it was like something from the dark-ages, nutritional info on food products and good reference books has made carb counting much easier to put into practise than 20-30 years ago.

Stick with the course and continue to weigh, calculate and record, it does become second nature and the incentive to continue comes from seeing those improved bg readings!

Emzie-Bub-xo

I have just done a DAFNE course in June, and i am telling you all it has changed my life for the better!! When i was first diagnosed with type 1 i was only 10, and wasnt given alot of information about diabetes and why i suddenly needed to take injections, most of that was told to my family. Now 13 years on i have finally done DAFNE, after many years of putting it off as i was somewhat in denial for a fair few years, and i have never felt better and never felt so in control!! I owe it all to dafne as i learnt so much and also met a lot of other type 1 diabetics which had never happened before.

I really hope you enjoy the course and try to make a list of questions you might have because i solved a lot of problems by doing so.

And for anyone who hasnt yet done dafne, maybe putting it off, "i dont need help" etc etc, pkease do, it will definitely change your life! :)