Weight gain help

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,
Currently eating low carb which is doing wonders for my control. however I’ve dropped to 6 stone 11 at 5’2 putting me on the low end of BMI and actually underweight. I really don’t want to switch back to eating high carb foods but find it so difficult to get the calories in and eat low carb!

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions.. I usually sit at 7 stone 5 and would like to get back to my normal weight ASAP.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,
Currently eating low carb which is doing wonders for my control. however I’ve dropped to 6 stone 11 at 5’2 putting me on the low end of BMI and actually underweight. I really don’t want to switch back to eating high carb foods but find it so difficult to get the calories in and eat low carb!

Does anyone have any tips or suggestions.. I usually sit at 7 stone 5 and would like to get back to my normal weight ASAP.
Chloe, I'm a little person too, although marginally taller than you at 160cm (well, at our height little helps!), weighing in at 48/49kg, so about your preferred weight.

For me to ensure I don't drop weight, or if I do, to add it back, I up my fat intake. I don't do it drastically, or my body objects.

When I was initially trying to stall weight loss, I firstly upped my portion sizes a bit, then can't recall if I then added nuts, then fat, or the other way around.

So my suggestions would be:
Generally up your portion sizes
Add additional protein
Add additional fats - e.g butter on veg, cheese, cream in sauces, desserts

One thing I would say is not to be impatient. It can take a while to add weight when low Carbing. It certainly did for me, but as usual, I'll say we're all different.

Good luck with it all.

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Chloe, I'm a little person too, although marginally taller than you at 160cm (well, at our height little helps!), weighing in at 48/49kg, so about your preferred weight.

For me to ensure I don't drop weight, or if I do, to add it back, I up my fat intake. I don't do it drastically, or my body objects.

When I was initially trying to stall weight loss, I firstly upped my portion sizes a bit, then can't recall if I then added nuts, then fat, or the other way around.

So my suggestions would be:
Generally up your portion sizes
Add additional protein
Add additional fats - e.g butter on veg, cheese, cream in sauces, desserts

One thing I would say is not to be impatient. It can take a while to add weight when low Carbing. It certainly did for me, but as usual, I'll say we're all different.

Good luck with it all.

thank you for the advice. I know Rome wasn’t built in a day so it’ll take some time to gain the weight back (Christmas should help with some treats and alcohol!). Thank you!

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I developed an eating disorder after some issues after diagnosis and a low carber telling me it was my own fault because I'd been eating carbs (it wasn't but I was a newbie and vulnerable to comments) I was severely underweight but gained by snacking on cheeses, eggs and cold meats throughout the day xx

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi,

Most low carbers also practice some form of meal restriction, in the sense of eating windows and fasting... Are you? If you want to gain weight, then snacking's back on the table. Where I eat 2 meals a day with my T2, you could have 3 square ones and 3 snacks spread out in between. (Or just graze all day, but I find it helpful to have a bit of a schedule, so as not to forget). No need for carbs, just, you know, cheeses, low carb nuts like pecans, walnuts and macadamia's, olives, avocado's, extra dark chocolate, that sort of thing.

Reactions: EllieM

Jo123

I lost a load of weight last year which I didn't want to and regained it by making sure I eat three meals a day plus snacks mid morning, afternoon and in the evening after dinner. I made myself eat even if not hungry and I put the weight back on. They weren't big snacks just consistent.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Most low carbers also practice some form of meal restriction, in the sense of eating windows and fasting... Are you? If you want to gain weight, then snacking's back on the table. Where I eat 2 meals a day with my T2, you could have 3 square ones and 3 snacks spread out in between. (Or just graze all day, but I find it helpful to have a bit of a schedule, so as not to forget). No need for carbs, just, you know, cheeses, low carb nuts like pecans, walnuts and macadamia's, olives, avocado's, extra dark chocolate, that sort of thing.

Jo, I have never ever snacked, and when I need to gain a little weight, I don't add snacks. I would only have anything in between meals if I was super hungry, due to a delayed meal, or whatever. Of course, it's important to add that I don't take any medication for my diabetes.

For me, it was more important to find a strategy, keeping with my own management of my carbs, thatt allowed me t stick with my 3 meals a day. the prospect of snacking, with intent, just didn't appeal to me.

Of course we're all different, but in my opinion snacking isn't really helpful, unless the person's blood glucose is running, whilst on blood glucose reducing medication, and needs to remain in a safe zone.

For me, I prefer my system to have a chance to deal with it's meals, and thereby my blood glucose will reduce, that be continually topping them up.

Yet another example of how we all very and it's about finding one's own path.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jo, I have never ever snacked, and when I need to gain a little weight, I don't add snacks. I would only have anything in between meals if I was super hungry, due to a delayed meal, or whatever. Of course, it's important to add that I don't take any medication for my diabetes.

For me, it was more important to find a strategy, keeping with my own management of my carbs, thatt allowed me t stick with my 3 meals a day. the prospect of snacking, with intent, just didn't appeal to me.

Of course we're all different, but in my opinion snacking isn't really helpful, unless the person's blood glucose is running, whilst on blood glucose reducing medication, and needs to remain in a safe zone.

For me, I prefer my system to have a chance to deal with it's meals, and thereby my blood glucose will reduce, that be continually topping them up.

Yet another example of how we all very and it's about finding one's own path.
So basically, another case of "just experiment and see what fits your needs". :)

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Don't think in 'Calories' but the various food groups you need. Keeping the carbs down is usually good for all of us but you need to have enough fats, proteins, veg and fruit to balance. If that isn't enough then there is no problem with increasing the carbs as long as you also increase the insulin to suit BS control

Chloelox

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I developed an eating disorder after some issues after diagnosis and a low carber telling me it was my own fault because I'd been eating carbs (it wasn't but I was a newbie and vulnerable to comments) I was severely underweight but gained by snacking on cheeses, eggs and cold meats throughout the day xx
Sorry you went through that, I struggled a lot at first with food because I simply just couldn’t cope with the diagnosis.

now I’m wanting to gain weight I’m finding it difficult accepting that I’ve lost so much over a matter of 3 months. I’m hoping to stay low carb and normal weight. But if I am still losing in a couple of weeks I’ll just up my carb intake again

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I tried to low carb but lost too much weight too so now I make myself eat carbs even though I’d prefer to low carb as my blood sugar control is easier and I felt great - but was so skinny despite constantly snacking on avocado, cheese, nuts, seeds, dark chocolate, meats, butter, oil, eggs and salmon etc. I dropped to seven stone (I’ve fought to get back up to 8 stone 2, but I have a very high metabolism and small frame) and for me it’s a hindrance as I’d prefer a low carb diet. If you find it works out for you could you send me some tips! Recently found out I was dairy and egg intolerant so that makes it even harder I suppose. Aargh, it’s so tricky juggling diabetes, being skinny and food intolerances!

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi, I tried to low carb but lost too much weight too so now I make myself eat carbs even though I’d prefer to low carb as my blood sugar control is easier and I felt great - but was so skinny despite constantly snacking on avocado, cheese, nuts, seeds, dark chocolate, meats, butter, oil, eggs and salmon etc. I dropped to seven stone (I’ve fought to get back up to 8 stone 2, but I have a very high metabolism and small frame) and for me it’s a hindrance as I’d prefer a low carb diet. If you find it works out for you could you send me some tips! Recently found out I was dairy and egg intolerant so that makes it even harder I suppose. Aargh, it’s so tricky juggling diabetes, being skinny and food intolerances!

JMoli - I'm pleased you have managed to get back to a more acceptable weight for yourself. If you have only just found you have specific food intolerances, those may have been impacting your weight loss, due to malabsorption issues.

To be clear, I'm sure eulogising about a low carb diet, because your food choices are entirely your own, but it might be easier now you understand any malabsorption you might have been enduring.

JMoli

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
JMoli - I'm pleased you have managed to get back to a more acceptable weight for yourself. If you have only just found you have specific food intolerances, those may have been impacting your weight loss, due to malabsorption issues.

To be clear, I'm sure eulogising about a low carb diet, because your food choices are entirely your own, but it might be easier now you understand any malabsorption you might have been enduring.

Thanks, yes I hadn’t really considered malabsorption. I may try a few days a week of low carb next year once I’ve stabilised my weight - ideally I would like to gain a few more pounds and it’s been a huge struggle to gain this year but low carb is so much less of a hypo/rebound hyper rollercoaster! x

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thank you for the advice. I know Rome wasn’t built in a day so it’ll take some time to gain the weight back (Christmas should help with some treats and alcohol!). Thank you!
Do the opposite to what I tell my overweight clients to do: eat frequent snacks e.g. spoon of peanut butter every time you think of it or a nibble of cheese , big spoon of greek yoghurt or chicken drumstick skin on, packet of pork scratchings?etc. so that your body doesn't have to dip into your fat supplies and don't be afraid to have a little carb with it but with an increased basal to allow your body to store it as fat and muscle. As you know if you don't do that you will pee it out. My own rule is to have 30g carb or less per meal not that I am trying to gain weight but this does at least allow me not to rock my blood sugar boat too much!
If you ever watched Supersize SuperSkinny the 'skinnies' gained littler amounts than the fatties lost but then the extra pounds will really show in a good way and hopefully you will feel better with a healthier immune system too.