Diagnosed last week but no support

Cfaria20

After looking at the links I've come up with some questions

1. Who should I contact if I have questions about my diabetes?
2. Will I need to go to diabetes clinic or have reviews?
3. When will I see a dietitian?
4. Do I need an annual retinal screening, cholesterol and blood checks?
5. Will I need to get my own meter and test kit or will the diabetes clinic provide me with this?
6. Also what is HbA1c and was I tested for this? If so what was the results?
7. Can you confirm my current height and weight?
8. What are the normal range of reading for HbA1c and what range of reading should I aim for when using the meter?
9. What should be my target weight?

Probably need put these questions into some sort of order as was writing them down as I thought of them lol.

Reactions: Smileypigface

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Do not let on that you are accessing Dr Google or a website like this - Doctors hate that, When they get to know you better, and see some progress then you can own up to it, but Doctors hate the Internet.

This website runs online courses for Low Carb diets, which many of us here use to control our diabetes. There is a dedicated subthread on this forum with recipes to suit. There is also a Success and Testimonials subthread that may be of interest to see how others are getting their beast into control. For me, the book that taught me about diet and my condition was "Blood Sugars 101" by Jenny Ruhl, and I found her to be quite easy to read, but good on the science of diets. There are other diet plans in the Foods section, but Low Carb for a T2 makes sense.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Do not let on that you are accessing Dr Google or a website like this - Doctors hate that, When they get to know you better, and see some progress then you can own up to it, but Doctors hate the Internet.

This website runs online courses for Low Carb diets, which many of us here use to control our diabetes. There is a dedicated subthread on this forum with recipes to suit. There is also a Success and Testimonials subthread that may be of interest to see how others are getting their beast into control. For me, the book that taught me about diet and my condition was "Blood Sugars 101" by Jenny Ruhl, and I found her to be quite easy to read, but good on the science of diets. There are other diet plans in the Foods section, but Low Carb for a T2 makes sense.
Some doctors. Not all.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi thank you all for your responses, sorry took so long to reply back went to the in laws so kids could help do the tree. That's 3rd tree this weekend as done mine and went to my mums yesterday lol.

Yes I do live in uk.

Thank you @Rachox for the meter advice, when I had it before was during g pregnancy so hospital gave me the strips meter and everything and last one was 3 yrs ago I couldn't remember what brand it was. Does brand even matter?

Yes I do need lose weight im 5'2 and at check up last week weighed 80kg which is bad as start of the year I was 74kg
3 years ago after had my youngest I was 79kg. With my oldest 11 yrs ago I went up to 86kg from 63kg with my middle child 73kg to 86kg as well.
Since I've had my kids I have struggled alot with my weight but I'm big built even though I'm not tall so got wide shoulders wide hips and big chest which adds on weight too apparently :-( .

No I'm not on any medication at all this is what I'm worried about since last yr being diagnosed prediabetes I've had diet control going from normal to wholemeal with everything I can. But now from this thread i will cut it out as much as I can, I'm just not sure on portions. When i was pregnant i was given a really good book had portion sizes and calorie count on food items i cant find it anywhere.
Does anyone know a really good book? Or a recipe book?
I've looked it up but cant seem to find a decent one.

I will defo eat more fish.i normally steam my food or oven cook or use extra virgin olive oil to cook. I sometimes did use butter but now going to completely stop. Instead of using normal fryer I 7se an air fryer, is this still ok or do I need completely stop? Even when I do use it it's small portion of chips or whatever I cook in that. But i did have high cholesterol as well so going completely stop i think. I moved fro normal yourgut to low fat or natural Greek yourguts as well this week and my butter to proactively etc.

I hope I'm not a complicated diabetic as was full of complications when I was pregnant not just with diabetes but high blood pressure, blood clot and other stuff too. I'm worried.

What questions should I ask gp tomo when I call?

I did click on one of the above links that has helped get few questions going in my mind so going write it down.

Thank you all again for taking the time to respond

I'm going to give you the link to the nutritional thingy again, because honestly... Some of the changes you're making aren't good for a T2. Forget calories, forget everything you think you know about nutrition. It's all out the window, and doesn't mean a thing in your situation anymore. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html should help clear some things up. But really... It's not the calories that put on the weight. It's the carbs. Your body can't process them, can't use them for fuel, so what does it do? It stores them in fat cells. It's not fats making you gain weight and worsening your insulin resistance, it's carbs. So no counting calories, just counting carbs. Thing is, when you use low fat anything, it usually means they've put carbs in to compensate for the loss of taste. (Sugar is a cheap taste enhancer) Check the labels on your low fat yoghurt against FULL fat Greek. You'll see what I mean, there's probably quite a difference and I don't even know what brands you use. There'll be a lot more carbs in the low fat variety. Also, there are 3 macro nutrients: Carbohydrates, fats and protein. It's the carbs we can't handle, so cut those down or out (goodbye, chips, whatever way you fry 'em). Protein might up our blood glucose a little bit, but nothing too bad. Fats don't do anything to it. What fats do do, is make you feel fuller for longer (no hunger required on the new diet you're embarking on), and it flattens the curve of the spike of whatever carbs you do have, which is a good thing. So butter's back on the menu! The real thing mind you, not margarine or seed oil stuff. ProActiv is actually banned in certain countries because of elevated risks of cancer. Just sayin'. Butter's fine (yay for fish in butter sauce!), so are full fat hard cheeses, bacon, eggs, double or clotted cream, mayo... You get the idea. Those won't spike your blood sugars. And you'll lose weight in the process, in spite of the low fat mantras that have been hammered into us these past decades.

When you start cutting out overly processed food, you're also cutting out a lot of added salts. (Like sugar, it's a cheap taste enhancer). I had normal blood pressure before going low carb, now I'm low and have to add salts. That's what it meant for me to stop eating bread and crisps and the like. So if you're still on blood pressure meds, and you start feeling light headed or everything turns black when you stand up, get your dosage looked at.

Ask your doc for exact test results. You want numbers, always. Even if they mean little to you right now, they'll mean more later. Cholesterol, never just the total, always the breakdown of all the components, HDL, LDL, trigs, ratio etc. Get as much information as you can, and do that from here on in. You want to know exactly where you stand.

I think that's about it for now. Hope this helps!
Jo

TeddyTottie

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You are worried about your cholesterol too, I see, and all this talk of increased fats will be making your head spin.

I will repeat, because it is very hard to accept when you come into this new and many of us have found it takes time to adjust, but many of the things that we have been told for decades about what constitutes a good diet, the perils of fat and salt vs. increased cholesterol and heart disease, are just wrong in the light of current thinking. Indeed the indictment of cholesterol as a cause of heart disease is also widely accepted as incorrect - it is a symptom of damage caused by other means, mostly sugar.

Yep, I am aware that this sounds cranky but all I can say is please keep an open mind, do some reading around - Jason Fung is excellent, maybe watch some videos by Dr David Unwin. There are hundreds of people on here who have returned there BG to normal levels by eating low carb, higher fat (LCHF) with no adverse effects to blood pressure or cholesterol levels. Quite the reverse, in fact.

You also sound like someone who has faith that the NHS will ‘sort you out’.... as you can see from the varied responses here, some people are lucky to have good, informed, up-to-date support from their local GP practice and others get the barest minimum. I have never seen a doctor after diagnosis for instance, only the practice diabetes nurse, that’s how my practice does it. If you are classically T2 and your BG behaves as expected, you won’t see a hospital. You will be referred to some sort of dietary advice thingy eventually, but many of these still tell you to base your diet on carbs and won’t be of any help.

I don’t say this to belittle your expectations because it’s perfectly normal way to think and I hope you can find the assistance you are seeking, but the NHS is still largely stuck in the past because the NICE guidelines haven’t changed much. I would very strongly encourage you to take action on your own behalf, starting now. By the time you talk to the nurse, you can already be on the path to normalising your BG.

Good luck!

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
....I don't know about the boy parts. Just the girl parts, as I've got those, and frequent UTI's since I turned 40. And since the OP had gestational diabetes, I figured it'd make some semblance of sense to assume the UTI advice for women'd apply... Guys should always head straight for antibiotics when a UTI's going on far as I know. In us women, it doesn't become alarming until it's not vanished within a week.

But I'll shut up now. ;)

Edited to add, because I can't seem to actually shut up: Canesten is for a fungal infection like, indeed, thrush, not a bacterial issue. ;)

and long may you continue NOT shutting up! x

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
So I spent money I didn't need to which is why I was pointing it out as I don't think I've seen anyone on these forums, which by the way are a wealth of helpful information, do it before. Even if there is a small chance of success surely its worth a go?
Getting meter and strips from the NHS when a type 2 and not on medication which could cause a hypo is very very rare - hopefully it will last, but changes at your surgery might well mean you need that self funded meter

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Of course there is no harm in asking, thank you for pointing that out, I asked but got a flat ‘no’! I just wanted @Cfaria20 to know that she may not be as lucky as you.
Same here - I was also told that I didn’t need to test and I would end up with sore fingers

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Same here - I was also told that I didn’t need to test and I would end up with sore fingers

So presumably they thought potentially sky high glucose levels possible leading to general ill health and worse, was preferable to sore fingers? x

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
and she basically advised me to do 1test before food when I get up and 1 test 2 hours after my evening meal and if I needed to 1 test two hours after midday meal but that wasn't necessary. She also advised me what levels I should be trying to achieve. She asked me to go in and get my meter and told me that the lancets and test strips would be on prescription.
So I spent money I didn't need to which is why I was pointing it out as I don't think I've seen anyone on these forums, which by the way are a wealth of helpful information, do it before. Even if there is a small chance of success surely its worth a go?

If you are going to control your T2 by diet then unless you are lucky you will either your cut out all the carbs OR you use a meter, and test before and after every meal until you know what you can eat.
I tested every meal at first, then I tested before and after any new food or new combination of foods - now I usually only test once a week to keep an eye on it unless I find a new food I want to try or I want to raise my carb limit a little.
Testing just twice a day will not let you know what you can safely eat while trying to get into remission or reduce the dosage of drugs - unfortunately very few nurses or GPs have training on this, most still think T2 is a progressive disease and their advice means they won't see many, if any, patients get into remission.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
So presumably they thought potentially sky high glucose levels possible leading to general ill health and worse, was preferable to sore fingers? x
Probably - she didn't appreciate it when I said that I preferred to have sore rather than no fingers

Reactions: Oldvatr

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I will defo eat more fish.i normally steam my food or oven cook or use extra virgin olive oil to cook. I sometimes did use butter but now going to completely stop. Instead of using normal fryer I 7se an air fryer, is this still ok or do I need completely stop? Even when I do use it it's small portion of chips or whatever I cook in that. But i did have high cholesterol as well so going completely stop i think. I moved fro normal yourgut to low fat or natural Greek yourguts as well this week and my butter to proactively etc.

I hope I'm not a complicated diabetic as was full of complications when I was pregnant not just with diabetes but high blood pressure, blood clot and other stuff too. I'm worried.

What questions should I ask gp tomo when I call?

I did click on one of the above links that has helped get few questions going in my mind so going write it down.

Thank you all again for taking the time to respond

If you go low carb then you don't need to stop eating butter, your body will need to burn fats instead of carbs for energy.
I lost 5.5st while having full fat milk and yogurt, and double cream - and my cholesterol improved too.

Cfaria20

Thank you everyone for the advice and support it really means alot.
Yesterday I called the gp and found out that the bloods results didnt include HbA1c or full blood count it hadn't been done even though I remember seeing the that on the paperwork last week so tomorrow I'm going back to take more bloods
Hopefully by thrusday or Friday I will have all the results I need
I also looked at a gym near by so planning to join on 18th when I get paid

Reactions: LaoDan

Cfaria20

I'm going to give you the link to the nutritional thingy again, because honestly... Some of the changes you're making aren't good for a T2. Forget calories, forget everything you think you know about nutrition. It's all out the window, and doesn't mean a thing in your situation anymore. https://josekalsbeek.blogspot.com/2019/11/the-nutritional-thingy.html should help clear some things up. But really... It's not the calories that put on the weight. It's the carbs. Your body can't process them, can't use them for fuel, so what does it do? It stores them in fat cells. It's not fats making you gain weight and worsening your insulin resistance, it's carbs. So no counting calories, just counting carbs. Thing is, when you use low fat anything, it usually means they've put carbs in to compensate for the loss of taste. (Sugar is a cheap taste enhancer) Check the labels on your low fat yoghurt against FULL fat Greek. You'll see what I mean, there's probably quite a difference and I don't even know what brands you use. There'll be a lot more carbs in the low fat variety. Also, there are 3 macro nutrients: Carbohydrates, fats and protein. It's the carbs we can't handle, so cut those down or out (goodbye, chips, whatever way you fry 'em). Protein might up our blood glucose a little bit, but nothing too bad. Fats don't do anything to it. What fats do do, is make you feel fuller for longer (no hunger required on the new diet you're embarking on), and it flattens the curve of the spike of whatever carbs you do have, which is a good thing. So butter's back on the menu! The real thing mind you, not margarine or seed oil stuff. ProActiv is actually banned in certain countries because of elevated risks of cancer. Just sayin'. Butter's fine (yay for fish in butter sauce!), so are full fat hard cheeses, bacon, eggs, double or clotted cream, mayo... You get the idea. Those won't spike your blood sugars. And you'll lose weight in the process, in spite of the low fat mantras that have been hammered into us these past decades.

When you start cutting out overly processed food, you're also cutting out a lot of added salts. (Like sugar, it's a cheap taste enhancer). I had normal blood pressure before going low carb, now I'm low and have to add salts. That's what it meant for me to stop eating bread and crisps and the like. So if you're still on blood pressure meds, and you start feeling light headed or everything turns black when you stand up, get your dosage looked at.

Ask your doc for exact test results. You want numbers, always. Even if they mean little to you right now, they'll mean more later. Cholesterol, never just the total, always the breakdown of all the components, HDL, LDL, trigs, ratio etc. Get as much information as you can, and do that from here on in. You want to know exactly where you stand.

I think that's about it for now. Hope this helps!
Jo

This has really been an eye opener thank you so so much
I'm redoing my bloods tomo as info was missing as hadn't been done like I thought so I'm defo going ask for a break down of everything from now on

Kalobe

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
The highs and lows
Dr Bernstein’s Diabetes Solution.
Sugar Surfing
These are two good books to start with. Both recommend regular home blood tests or CGM. I would say that you can’t keep well enough just with doctors tests.