What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: a small portion of the chia coconut milk concoction. Not as tasty as yesterday
Then a zoom exercise class followed by an hour half walk with a friend
L: the final piece of baconcheeseburger pie. Kept well as made on Friday. Some choc nut granola and cream. 2 sqs 85%
D: chicken breast in a milled linseed and seasonings crust, fried in pan in lard. Much tastier and moister than when last tried in the airfryer. A little courgette and sprouts and some celeriac chips. A little of the chia coconut mix, this time with added double cream. Much better.
Am I the only one who finds that chia seeds taste fishy?

JFWinstone

Are your blood sugars still high? Can you contact your HCP? From a previous post I understand you are on NPH insulin only, following pancreatitis, is that still right?

Blood sugars have been between 5-7. The thirst has only been an issue since I cut down on the carbs and I've only been doing that the last few days. Yes, I'm on Humulin I following pancreatitis.

Last edited:

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
B: a small portion of the chia coconut milk concoction. Not as tasty as yesterday
Then a zoom exercise class followed by an hour half walk with a friend
L: the final piece of baconcheeseburger pie. Kept well as made on Friday. Some choc nut granola and cream. 2 sqs 85%
D: chicken breast in a milled linseed and seasonings crust, fried in pan in lard. Much tastier and moister than when last tried in the airfryer. A little courgette and sprouts and some celeriac chips. A little of the chia coconut mix, this time with added double cream. Much better.
Am I the only one who finds that chia seeds taste fishy?
I have chia seeds in my breakfast every day I don’t get a fishy taste from them, maybe it’s the brand you have bought? I get mine from Asda.

Also, I have struggled to find a low carb chocolate granola, what brand is yours?

Sugarlisa

Breakfast was blackberries and yogurt and ginger tea with a glass of water

Lunch was rocket with mushrooms, diced bacon, pepper,and drop of balsamic vinegar and a bottle of water

Tea was fish in parsley sauce with broccoli, carrot

First weight in since my stay in hospital 18st 9lb I came has and I’m 18st 6lb today so I’m happy for a change x

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
B: Porridge with just chia seeds (forgot to defrost my usual blueberries today)

L: Vegetable bowl (carrots, greens and cauliflower) small bit of low salt gravy thrown over

D: Garlic seasoned chicken with paprika roast potatoes

Nightime Snack: Nice cuppa coffee!

I am not low carb currently as I have only recently been diagnosed and trying to gain weight (underweight)

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have chia seeds in my breakfast every day I don’t get a fishy taste from them, maybe it’s the brand you have bought? I get mine from Asda.

Also, I have struggled to find a low carb chocolate granola, what brand is yours?
I make it. Melt 25g coconut oil, add in 1 teaspoon cocoa powder ( and a little sweetner if you want, I dont). Then stir in 200g roughly chopped mixed nuts and seeds. Stir thoroughly then spread on non stick baking sheet and bake 10-20 minutes but watch it, burns easily.
Cool and keep in airtight container.
Can vary nuts and seeds, sometimes I add coconut. Its very rich so I only have a tablespoon at a time, or a teaspoon with cream for a dessert

Reactions: ziggy_w

Choosehappy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Hypos!
I make it. Melt 25g coconut oil, add in 1 teaspoon cocoa powder ( and a little sweetner if you want, I dont). Then stir in 200g roughly chopped mixed nuts and seeds. Stir thoroughly then spread on non stick baking sheet and bake 10-20 minutes but watch it, burns easily.
Cool and keep in airtight container.
Can vary nuts and seeds, sometimes I add coconut. Its very rich so I only have a tablespoon at a time, or a teaspoon with cream for a dessert
Thank you I’m gonna give this a go!

Reactions: Mrs T 123 and DJC3

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and white chocolate phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and coconut bites.
Dinner: Spanish chicken with roasted Mediterranean veggies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all.

Congratulations on the weight loss @Sugarlisa . Your menus are sounding good.

Very jealous of the swimming @shelley262 and @maglil55 . Our pool closed at the start of the first lockdown and is not re-opening until January 4th. The local council contracts out the running of it and it has changed hands. Shame as I have a big chunk of time off over Christmas and it would have been good to get back into the water.

Weird eating day. Lunch was leftover Nando’s chicken with a bit of sour cream.
Dinner was very late - rushed off for a short(ish) visit to IKEA after work. Didn’t eat beforehand as wasn’t hungry but have been eating all evening since I got back. Started with one slice of Mestemacher bread, a few pieces of cheese (from IKEA) and 2 small pickled onions. Followed up with a Peperami and then - in 2 separate batches - 2 slices pork belly chopped, coated in salt and chilli oil and air fried. Very good - the Asda pork belly strips are excellent.

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@DJC3 -- Thanks for the hugs. It is quite frustrating when this happens, isn't it? I sometimes can't help wondering if in the past when we weren't diabetic, this might have happened too, but we just didn't know about it.

Today ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. Half a DD keto roll with h/m mayonnaise, cheese and turkey salami.

Lunch: Another double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol after coming in from the cold.

Snack: A piece of cheese and some turkey salami.

Dinner: Steak/lamb in a sauce of red wine, beef broth, carrots, celery and spring onions. Celeriac mash with cream, butter and potato fibers. Half a DD keto roll with butter. About 15g of 88% chocolate and red wine.

Last edited:

SlimLizzy

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
football, both the game and the culture.
Breakfast coffee with milk. Nut granola.
More coffee with milk.
Shopping trip. Should know better than to allow MrSlim into a supermarket, he bought mince pies, amaretti biscuits, tinned sweetcorn and a large tin of chocolate biscuits.
As well as some sweets.
My selections were cat litter, vegetables, milk, eggs, bacon and butter. We jointly chose some dinners.
When we got back I had all the biscuits, etc put away out of sight.
Am hoping that will.help me resist the temptation some of them are.
Lunch. One slice of toast, some cheese and ham, cup of tea
Dinner chicken with lime and coriander, cabbage, carrots and brocolli, yoghurt and raspberries. Wine.
Later MrSlim had bread and cheese, stole a few small pieces.
Edited to add , late mifmght snack finished up the leftover veg from dinner.
Lemon tea and more lemon tea at bedtime.

Last edited:

annabell1

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
rude people
not able to do as much as I used to do due to health issues
onions
leek
Yesterday nuked two ricotta pancakes but felt nausea and only ate onea. black coffee

Late Lunch/early dinner sourdough baguette roll with ham and salad and cup of tea.

Snack handful of bahja mix then craved sour food so had two apricots.

Today

Morning BSL 6.5

Breakfast
Leftovers scrambled eggs with ham and Sorrento tomatoes a slice of sourdough baguette with some butter Black coffee

Afternoon 2 cups of English breakfast tea

Dinner pork pan fried loin chop broccolini and snow peas and cabbage Sorrento tomato salad with lemony garlicky dressing 1/2 slice sourdough garlic baguette.

Had a teleheath with my Gastroentrolgist this afternoon who was happy with how I'm going. But he wants me to have some blood, bone density, skin check pap smear and blood and a stool test done due as being an autoimmune medication I need to be monitored, he will book me in for Colonoscopy hopefully in February next year was supposed to have test done November but with covid these tests has been delayed but im ok with that as its not my favourite test.

David_A_Hughes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
So far it's been a couple of Staffordshire oatcakes - I know, I know, perhaps I shouldn't - two sausages, a cup of Russian caravan tea - no milk, no sugar, a cup of freshly milled coffee with cream, no sugar.

Lunch will almost certainly be a bowl of soup, probably spinach, and later I'll have some fish with vegetables, all non-root. I'll also probably eat a handful or two of salted peanuts, just because I like them so much. At some time there'll be another cup or two of coffee, served as before, and several cups of Russian caravan. I'll try, I mean REALLY try to avoid any other carb laden snacks (essentially crisps) and puddings. I'm usually successful here.

Good luck everyone.

JFWinstone

Breakfast - Chorizo Sausages, Proscuitto, Lactofree Cheese, 3 cherry tomatoes and cucumber - won't be getting the chorizo sausages again as they spiked my BG I think because of the maltodextrin in them.
Lunch - Smoked Salmon, Lettuce, Lactose Free Soft Cheese. Cup of tea with splash of lactose free milk.
Dinner - Pork Chops and Roasted Mediterranean Vegetables. 2 squares Lindt 90% dark chocolate

Last edited:

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello all,

@DJC3 -- Thanks for the hugs. It is quite frustrating when this happens, isn't it? I sometimes can't help wondering if in the past when we weren't diabetic, this might have happened too, but we just didn't know about it.

Today ...

Breakfast: A double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol. Half a DD keto roll with h/m mayonnaise, cheese and turkey salami.

Lunch: Another double decaffeinated espresso with cream and erythritol after coming in from the cold.

Snack: A piece of cheese and some turkey salami.

Dinner: Steak/lamb in a sauce of red wine, beef broth, carrots, celery and spring onions. Celeriac mash with cream, butter and potato fibers. Half a DD keto roll with butter. About 15g of 88% chocolate and red wine.
@ziggy_w intrigued by your use of potato fibre in low carb mash have spotted on amazon when sourcing oat fibre for bread.do you just sprinkle a bit in to give more texture?

Reactions: ziggy_w

maglil55

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
7 months in this house today and still mostly packed in moving boxes and I don’t need to wake @5ish but far better than not waking up or being homeless. Already bored with winter . B= Assam TWAMIS: Dockey: CWCSFCS and 3 advent pralines; Lunch: 2 sticks Fen celery:woot:, 2 or 3 slices of unbelievably cheap cooked beef from W…., 2 slices TLCC toast and butter. Tea; EM : IP Lamb shank casserole, celeriac, swede and cheese bake, vits. Inch by inch (rousing speech Mr Pacino) I’m rediscovering some acceptance of cooked LC food. That stayed hot and about as filling as my normal salad. Swipey, scales and fitbit data may alter my attitude. The outcomes need to offset my doubts over WOE. @MrsA2 Ocado have Godiva - Waitrose don't. Godiva 90% appears to be 22% carbs but Waitrose 1 90% is 14.5 and I can eat that.
22g on the 100g chocolate. Like Lindt it's a 90g bar so 19.8g per bar. Thankfully I couldn't eat a whole bar! . It is incredibly smooth for a 90% though.

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Early waking today so drank more coffee than usual.
Surprise occurrence today was being offered a job! I’m not even looking for a job but the charity I volunteer for ( distributing surplus food to those in need) want me to set up and organise a new distribution centre. It’s just 2 days a week on a temporary basis, and it’s paid. I have no experience in this sort of thing so I’m not sure why they asked me but I’m quietly excited.
Celebratory lunch of scrambled eggs on Livlife toast then chocolate chia pudding.
Dinner- bacon cheeseburger with some asparagus sautéed in butter. Followed it with a dollop of lazy mousse.
I do wish I could kick the pudding habit. I’m sure I’d be better off without.
@JFWinstone sausages can be a carb minefield - I’ve had similar nasty surprises.
@David_A_Hughes Good to see you are still enjoying the Russian caravan tea. I remember looking it up a while ago after one of your posts as I’d never heard of it.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Evening all. Early waking today so drank more coffee than usual.
Surprise occurrence today was being offered a job! I’m not even looking for a job but the charity I volunteer for ( distributing surplus food to those in need) want me to set up and organise a new distribution centre. It’s just 2 days a week on a temporary basis, and it’s paid. I have no experience in this sort of thing so I’m not sure why they asked me but I’m quietly excited.
Celebratory lunch of scrambled eggs on Livlife toast then chocolate chia pudding.
Dinner- bacon cheeseburger with some asparagus sautéed in butter. Followed it with a dollop of lazy mousse.
I do wish I could kick the pudding habit. I’m sure I’d be better off without.
@JFWinstone sausages can be a carb minefield - I’ve had similar nasty surprises.
@David_A_Hughes Good to see you are still enjoying the Russian caravan tea. I remember looking it up a while ago after one of your posts as I’d never heard of it.
@DJC3 i know why they asked you you’ve already proved you’re committed and they feel - rightly I’m sure - that you’ll do a great job. Well done and how exciting for you.