Levels are up and down

fireant4

Hi

I've been on insulin now for 3 weeks, and been taking BG readings about 7 times a day to monitor my levels

Now i go some days from 4.4 up to 15 mmol a day sometimes? is this range bad for me as i'm worrying going from one extreme to another isnt good!

I've also have a few Hypos and the i tend to have something to get the levels back up! is it bad to get back up to high? (around 10) or is it a case of just getting them up away from hypo levels?

Sorry if not explained this very well! not sure how to put it into words!..

Cheers
Ant :D

ams162

Type of diabetes
Type 1
hello

its early days and getting ur head round everything isnt easy, u may be in the honeymoon period too when u produce some of ur own insulin which in turn then makes things more difficult to work out as unfortunatly the pancreas doesnt release it in nice even amounts. ideally u dont want to be as high as 15 if at all possible, i dont know the ideal amounts for an adult but for dylan they ask us to aim between 4 and 10, as for hypos u want to give urself enough fast acting carbs to bring urself up followed by some slow acting without going too mad, however ur body sometimes reacts to being low and liver dumps which then highers ur bgs too. having diabetes isnt easy and there are alot of things to consider its early days for u and things will get clearer as u go along and see how ur body reacts to different foods and what it takes to get u up from hypo to an acceptable level good luck

anna marie

Ash.J.S

Hi fireant4,

The desirable range to be in regarding your glucose mmol is 4 - 8 and then 4-7 once you gain better control of it. When you start experiencing the symptoms of a hypo try and get something rich in carbs as soon as possible, however don't let the hypo fool you because although you may feel incredibly shaky and hungry often about 100 / 150ml of lucozade or any energy drink should bring your glucose level back to normal fairly quickly. When I was diagnosed back in March 2011 I myself over-treated hypos and would then go too high and ultimately I fixed nothing. When you said you go back up to 10 after a hypo it's because you've just misjudged the hypo (which there is no shame in doing because I know how they feel myself).

Hope I helped :)