Hba1c has gone up a lot

Cloobie

Following on from my post about sweet smelling urine. Test results showed that since 2019 June/July my hba1c has gone from50 to 70. Now I am on a lot of medication (extremely clinically vulnerable) these meds make me eat like crazy. And I haven’t been making good choices

Dr put me on empagliflozin 10 mg. it caused a kidney infection and uti and I also had a steroid injection in my knee last week and Monday night my sugars were 21.4. I called out of hours dr as I’d been told too as my urine sample had shown ketones by the time they called back they’d dropped to below 20. So out of hours gp said contact your own dr in am. Tuesday I spoke to a nurse who has given me a new test machine that tests for ketones as well and a prescription for ketone test strips

My medication for schizophrenia is renowned for weight gain and making you crave carbs I really need to overhaul my diet it’s problematic because I also have ulcerative colitis and lots of vegetables trigger bad bowels

I’ve tried cutting out carbs as much as poss which does seem to lower blood glucose but to be honest I have always eaten a high carb diet and don’t really have many ideas for low carb diet choices. I have a mild brain damage so I don’t remember things too well. Is there any decent low carb diet websites you can recommend I find it impossible to exercise due to my auto immune conditions in including psoriatic arthritis I’m pretty much housebound I’m 43 and know something has to give if I want to have a good quality of life

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Cloobie

Sounds like you have a lot going on.

The website www.dietdoctor.com is great for low carb food and recipe ideas. There’s also a low carb program on this website which your GP can refer you to. Either of those should help you to adapt what you eat.

Reactions: Cloobie

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Following on from my post about sweet smelling urine. Test results showed that since 2019 June/July my hba1c has gone from50 to 70. Now I am on a lot of medication (extremely clinically vulnerable) these meds make me eat like crazy. And I haven’t been making good choices

Dr put me on empagliflozin 10 mg. it caused a kidney infection and uti and I also had a steroid injection in my knee last week and Monday night my sugars were 21.4. I called out of hours dr as I’d been told too as my urine sample had shown ketones by the time they called back they’d dropped to below 20. So out of hours gp said contact your own dr in am. Tuesday I spoke to a nurse who has given me a new test machine that tests for ketones as well and a prescription for ketone test strips

My medication for schizophrenia is renowned for weight gain and making you crave carbs I really need to overhaul my diet it’s problematic because I also have ulcerative colitis and lots of vegetables trigger bad bowels

I’ve tried cutting out carbs as much as poss which does seem to lower blood glucose but to be honest I have always eaten a high carb diet and don’t really have many ideas for low carb diet choices. I have a mild brain damage so I don’t remember things too well. Is there any decent low carb diet websites you can recommend I find it impossible to exercise due to my auto immune conditions in including psoriatic arthritis I’m pretty much housebound I’m 43 and know something has to give if I want to have a good quality of life
That's a lot to deal with, I'm so sorry. :( If you have a hard time remembering things, just keep it as simple as possible. You can print this off and refer to it : https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ , or you can try to memorise something from the carnivore way of eating; if a lion can eat it, so can you. That'd be meat, fish, poultry and animal products like eggs and cheese, butter that sort of thing. (Never saw a lion eating cheese, but whatever, you get the idea. Animal products!). If you're okay with veggies, the above ground stuff is usually fine. Maybe link it to a lion again for ease, basking in the sun, like your veg options should do. It is bringing your diet options back to extreme basics, but it could be something to build on, a foundation, if you wish. Also, if your meds make you crave food, have stuff around that won't mess up your blood sugars. Pork scratchings, snacksausages, cheeses, cold cuts, olives... You can feast on that sort of thing and your glucose wouldn't do anything drastic to you, at all. I don't generally advise snacking, but if you're going to, might as well have decent options eh.

Keep in mind that high and erratic blood sugars can severely affect your mind (clinically depressed borderliner with ptsd and anxiety disorders here), so if you even your blood sugars out a little, you'd likely fare better mentally as well. And carbs are inflammatory, so cutting those mostly out should help your joints some as too. Quality of life, it *can* improve.

Good luck!
Jo

Dudette1

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Bad attitude
That's a lot to deal with, I'm so sorry. :( If you have a hard time remembering things, just keep it as simple as possible. You can print this off and refer to it : https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ , or you can try to memorise something from the carnivore way of eating; if a lion can eat it, so can you. That'd be meat, fish, poultry and animal products like eggs and cheese, butter that sort of thing. (Never saw a lion eating cheese, but whatever, you get the idea. Animal products!). If you're okay with veggies, the above ground stuff is usually fine. Maybe link it to a lion again for ease, basking in the sun, like your veg options should do. It is bringing your diet options back to extreme basics, but it could be something to build on, a foundation, if you wish. Also, if your meds make you crave food, have stuff around that won't mess up your blood sugars. Pork scratchings, snacksausages, cheeses, cold cuts, olives... You can feast on that sort of thing and your glucose wouldn't do anything drastic to you, at all. I don't generally advise snacking, but if you're going to, might as well have decent options eh.

Keep in mind that high and erratic blood sugars can severely affect your mind (clinically depressed borderliner with ptsd and anxiety disorders here), so if you even your blood sugars out a little, you'd likely fare better mentally as well. And carbs are inflammatory, so cutting those mostly out should help your joints some as too. Quality of life, it *can* improve.

Good luck!
Jo

I loved this comment about if a lion can eat it so can you. I can’t resist.
Please don’t go out chasing zebras down from your local zoo

Reactions: Cloobie

Cloobie

Good luck!
Jo

Thank you Jo. Appreciate it