High Sugar readings.

ann walker

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I have been type 2 Diabetic for thirty years [age 66]. I always had good control over my levels until February this year. I am currently take Nova rapid three times a day [24mm] and Lantus 52 bedtime. They took me off Metaphormin approx two years ago as it was effecting my Kidneys. I take Glizide in the evening. My average readings Breakfast 14.5 Lunch13.3 Tea 18 Bed 23.4. My diabetic nurse keeps changing my insulin levels which has no effect. Can any one else share there experiences of this problem. Thanks Ann

Arab Horse

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
What about your diet, do you very low carb? Do you get much exercise? Is it possible that the virus has had an effect on you; not going out, not sticking to your diet, the stress (I know stress puts my glucose way up), drinking more alcohol?

I would ask to see the Dr if none of these apply to you. I have recently had 2 operations for cancer and radiotherapy etc and I know the stress has not only affected my levels but also ruined my diet as I have been eating loads more "comfort foods" which has put my glucose up!

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been type 2 Diabetic for thirty years [age 66]. I always had good control over my levels until February this year. I am currently take Nova rapid three times a day [24mm] and Lantus 52 bedtime. They took me off Metaphormin approx two years ago as it was effecting my Kidneys. I take Glizide in the evening. My average readings Breakfast 14.5 Lunch13.3 Tea 18 Bed 23.4. My diabetic nurse keeps changing my insulin levels which has no effect. Can any one else share there experiences of this problem. Thanks Ann
Hi Ann,

Sorry to hear of your troubles. @Arab Horse asks some excellent questions. Really, the more information we have, the better we can help, we're not just being nosy for the sake of it. Your blood sugars are directly affected by the amount of carbohydrates you consume... Have a lot of them, and your blood sugars go up. Can I have a guess at your dinner? After that meal you go up so much, it's probably potatoes, pasta, rice and such? Lunch and breakfast may be bread and porridge/cereal, at a guess? Low carb may be an option for you, but only if you're comfortable counting carbs and adjusting your insulin accordingly. You seem to be on a fixed dose on both your basal and your bolus though, so... Please, if you make changes in your diet, test a lot and get help adjusting your insulin needs. Otherwise you'd likely hypo. https://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/blog-entry/the-nutritional-thingy.2330/ might help explain things a little, though after 30 years of this... I don't know how much insulin your pancreas still makes, if any. It's not too late to help the poor thing out by giving it a bit of a break though.

Good luck,
Jo

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Can you give us some idea of your BMI? Those insulin shots are quite high and I wonder whether you have insulin resistance? If so, the insulin and Gliclazide may not have much effect as your body may already have too much insulin but can't use it. If you do have excess weight then a low-carb diet is essential to break the loop. Apologies if I have guessed wrongly.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello and welcome,

If you don't feel comfortable sharing more information then reading the link given by @JoKalsbeek will be helpful. People on here are really willing to help and no-one judges people as we are all finding what works for each of us one step at a time.

I am one of many who has found being very low card great for my blood sugar levels. It has not come easy for me as I really love carbs but I have found that less carbs less blood sugar levels.

Read around and ask questions- people here want to help.