Christmas is going to be different for me this year.

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So now I am 100% focused on blood sugar control. My hbA1c has gone from 99 in February to 53 in October. Probably going to hit 40s come January. Never had Christmas where I carb count before and kinda worried. I don't eat junk food anymore, not for 3 months anyway. Doubt I'll touch the chocolates because I really don't want to inject the insulin for a handful knowing I'd probably want more later.

Was thinking of buying rum or whiskey with a diet coke or something since spirits don't affect my levels. Nothing crazy but more concerned about the Xmas dinner the most. All I can do is have a rough guess on the carbs. I can do stuff like the roasters, Yorkshire puddings etc but still worried.

Protein does effect my blood sugar but tends to happen 5 or so hours after eating a big portion of it. Gonna be alot of correction doses but obviously I know to wait 4 hours or more before Injecting if needed.

I'm proud of my self this year. Finally got the right long acting insulin (Tresiba - 19 units), got my ratios sorted (Humalog - 2:10 breakfast, 1:10 lunch and dinner) and on top of my health. Even eating chips or pizza turns me off. Haven't touched any fizzy drinks for 3 months and tend to stick to water with maybe 1 or 2 coffees per day.

This Christmas will be a experiment to see if I can adjust accordingly and do my best to keep within my target range.

Happy Christmas everyone =).
Screenshot_20201208-194040.jpg

SilverK

I know what you mean about this year being different! Well done on your discipline!!!
I tried to go shopping again this afternoon. It turns into a round of looking at the back of packets and boxes, calculating the insulin and putting it straight back on the shelf. It’s all a bit depressing really. I love to cook and I make hampers up for my brothers and friends who hate cooking. There are always loads of lovely things.... but not this year . I know that keeping my sugars in range is more important but it doesn’t stop my “inner child” throwing a tantrum.

Dazphoenix28

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I know what you mean about this year being different! Well done on your discipline!!!
I tried to go shopping again this afternoon. It turns into a round of looking at the back of packets and boxes, calculating the insulin and putting it straight back on the shelf. It’s all a bit depressing really. I love to cook and I make hampers up for my brothers and friends who hate cooking. There are always loads of lovely things.... but not this year . I know that keeping my sugars in range is more important but it doesn’t stop my “inner child” throwing a tantrum.
Thanks =). Yeah I always look at the back of packets and when someone offers to cook I have to get involved and ask them where the label of the carbs is at. I've got the carbs and cals book which is very handy but sometimes it's a guess. I make lovely mash potatoes but it's hard to k ow the exact carbs in it. I'm still learning and every week I find something new about diabetes. Never thought in my life I would depend upon weighing scales for food but it's helped so much =).

Reactions: Rhys D

SilverK

I know what you mean. And even when you weigh stuff and work out the carbs really carefully it can all still go wrong. I made roast beef for my Dads birthday. I very carefully calculated the carbs in what I ate and ended up going hypo. I’d probably have been been better off guessing! My friend’s (and line manager) husband is a professional chef. He’s amazing. He’s offered to cook the last time we had our “socially distanced” catch up (at her house so I could play with her dogs!) and I had to take a rain check. I’m getting better at guessing though.
Sorry. That doesn’t make much sense but I’ll leave it as I don’t think trying again will help. New pain pills. Increasing the dose daily and I forget what I’m thinking about half way through the thought!