Male Thrush T1

xenomorph2020

Hi all
I am a T1 male and have had average control of blood sugar levels.
I have had male thrush twice before in my 32 years of diabetes so not very often and usually it goes away if I have Cannestan tablet.
However few days ago I started getting itch on the base of the penis area and residue under foreskin which felt same as before so taken Cannestan on Friday. However its still not gone. Still itchy.
Due to COVID I want to avoid going to GP but does anyone think I need to if its not gone in 48 hours after tablet?
Should I try cream or another dose?
I not got red flags like bleeding or pain.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all
I have had male thrush twice before in my 32 years of diabetes so not very often and usually it goes away if I have Cannestan tablet.
However few days ago I started getting itch on the base of the penis area and residue under foreskin which felt same as before so taken Cannestan on Friday. However its still not gone. Still itchy.
Due to COVID I want to avoid going to GP but does anyone think I need to if its not gone in 48 hours after tablet?

Hi there - Personally, I'd try the cream first, as that's easy to do, but what you do is your own choice.

If your GP is like ours, whilst they are avoiding as many face-to-face appointments as they are doing telephone appointments, and where necessary can convert that to video, or ask for photos to be emailed in. That might work for you?

One thing worth mentioning though is if you are treating yourself for thrush, then if you have a partner, they should be treated at the same time, to avoid and thrushy ping-pong.

xenomorph2020

Hi there - Personally, I'd try the cream first, as that's easy to do, but what you do is your own choice.

If your GP is like ours, whilst they are avoiding as many face-to-face appointments as they are doing telephone appointments, and where necessary can convert that to video, or ask for photos to be emailed in. That might work for you?

One thing worth mentioning though is if you are treating yourself for thrush, then if you have a partner, they should be treated at the same time, to avoid and thrushy ping-pong.

Yes never tried cream. May try that.
Single live alone and not been sexually active since January so can rule out anything transmitted in that way.

Mr_Funnel_

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all
I'm on empaglifosin and suffer quite regular as it sends excess sugars out with urine.
I have an antibiotic pill to take when it flares up.
It can lead to a condition called balanitis if left unchecked and believe me that is quite painful and requires circumcision if really bad. Try and avoid shower gel on your unit and use an antibacterial soap like Dettol.

wokster

Type of diabetes
Type 2
I suffered quite badly from it and I have used the pills a few times but it got to the stage they no longer worked. The doctor prescribed a cream and it more or less disappeared within a week. Hope this helps.

Ramsap101

I suffered quite badly from it and I have used the pills a few times but it got to the stage they no longer worked. The doctor prescribed a cream and it more or less disappeared within a week. Hope this helps.
Fluconazole worked very well for me. Avail over the counter I believe.

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fluconazole worked very well for me. Avail over the counter I believe.
The tablet you get from the chemist coupled with canestan (or equivalent) cream worked for me

the doctor did say it’s not prescribable (cost I guess or I mad misinformed?) but it wasn’t incredibly expensive. It did take a few days but fixed it

daplaflaglozin caused it for me and my gosh was it painful so you have my sympathies

Reactions: OrsonKartt

Oldvatr

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Creams do not get to the root of the problem for us guys. Difficult to get it into the important places. Most of the UTI lives in the urethra and can migrate up back into the bladder, and from there attack the kidneys. There is a very effective antibiotic that worked for me called Deflucane, and it is prescribable by doc, but comes with several pages of side effects and warnings so it is a heavy-duty fella. Not OTC at all.

I needed this when on Forxiga. The Forxiga did nothing for me except give me thrush par excellence. Useless at reducing sugars in my case.

Canesten (Clotrimazole) is designed for Candida infections, but not really useful for bacterial thrush.

As discussed recently in another thread, the other self-help remedies suit the ladies better than the men so diet changes and ointments are not very effective for us guys. Controlling sugars is helpful though,

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
The tablet you get from the chemist coupled with canestan (or equivalent) cream worked for me

the doctor did say it’s not prescribable (cost I guess or I mad misinformed?) but it wasn’t incredibly expensive. It did take a few days but fixed it

daplaflaglozin caused it for me and my gosh was it painful so you have my sympathies

I have Fluconazole on prescription as a prophylactic for prevention of fungal infection of lungs.

It also seems to have controlled the repeated bouts of thrush I was having.

Andrew0306uk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all

Try using Daktacort cream which is a hydrocortisone cream. I needed it to be applied for a few days

Reactions: Barrowbakers

stephenharold

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all

Hi there, when I moved to the higher dose of empagliflozin I kept getting thrush. The solution was using Clotrimazole cream as a prophylactic (the same active ingredient as Canesten I believe) and it is part of my repeat meds now. You only need a tiny amount. I am fairly sure that the pill that you can get with Canesten is not to be used by diabetics. When you use either of those creams to treat active thrush you should use for at least 7 days or it will return anyway. Hope this helps. I had to research it all for myself a couple of years ago. Not had a problem with it since.

NicoleC1971

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi all
Sorry to hear it is so uncomfortable and sounds like you've got a bad case. I am female but this was me about 20 years ago and for some reason it hasn't come back unless I get run down or take antibiotics.
I used to treat it with cannesten combi pack plus live yoghurt to the area in question. Sounds a bit grim for a male but might give some relief. Don't go for a fruit version though.
If you can bear going to see the pharmacist they may have something a little stronger to offer and emailing the doctor may well be another option as you have self diagnosed in any case.