Absent Mindedness/Concentration

GMcC1971

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi

I've recently been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.

On Saturday, I lost a bank card which I got back thankfully. I also dropped a bottle of wine at the supermarket. I felt absolutely drained which seems to be down to a loss of concentration.

Is this a common thing. I'm back at the Docs tomorrow to get further blood tests for cholesterol and haemochromtosis (my body is producing too much Iron).

Is loss of concentration of absent-mindedness common?

Thanks

OB87

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I'm struggling with this abit and finding it hard to focus on work ( working from home at the mo). I was diagnosed about 9 weeks ago and I think it's the shock of it and all the testing and thinking about meals etc. Feel like it's the only thing I'm focusing on at the mo.

GMcC1971

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Agreed @OB87 - maybe this is the case. Only a week for me. I'm starting Metformin on Thursday.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
@GMcC1971 & @OB87 , when someone's newly diagnosed, they're often slightly in shock, maybe even traumatised, and certainly experiencing grief for their health and the loss of what they thought their future would look like, as all of a sudden, T2 is included in that. Aside from high blood sugars causing something called brain fog (it really is a thing), the shock of diagnosis can bring it on or make it worse as well. It does get better, the more you get a handle on the situation and your blood sugars normalise. Give yourselves some time.
Hugs,
Jo

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Have you been put onto statins?
I was put on Atorvastatin and in five weeks I had some very bad problems.
I was wandering about at home unable to remember what I was doing - I burnt the dinners, or forgot to make meals, at the supermarket I could not find the car in the car park or find what I wanted inside, and arrived back without what I went for. When I did the Christmas shopping twice, I binned them, but it took years to get back to something like normal. I could no longer remember my songs - over 300 of them which I used to sing and play from memory. I have relearned the songs, but still can't play guitar.
If you have similar symptoms I can only advise stopping the statins. If I die a little earlier, fine by me. Better a year singing and playing than a decade staring out of the window at the care home garden.

GMcC1971

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@GMcC1971 & @OB87 , when someone's newly diagnosed, they're often slightly in shock, maybe even traumatised, and certainly experiencing grief for their health and the loss of what they thought their future would look like, as all of a sudden, T2 is included in that. Aside from high blood sugars causing something called brain fog (it really is a thing), the shock of diagnosis can bring it on or make it worse as well. It does get better, the more you get a handle on the situation and your blood sugars normalise. Give yourselves some time.
Hugs,
Jo
Jo - I think it may be mostly what you are saying. I've only been diagnosed a week. Start Metformin on Thursday (I have IBS too) so I'm getting the slow release tabs. I knew it was coming but when the diagnosis happened it hit me quite hard. I'm also producing too much Iron which is worrying.

Reactions: Sal260

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Jo - I think it may be mostly what you are saying. I've only been diagnosed a week. Start Metformin on Thursday (I have IBS too) so I'm getting the slow release tabs. I knew it was coming but when the diagnosis happened it hit me quite hard. I'm also producing too much Iron which is worrying.
Metformin and IBS can be a nightmare combination. Been there, bled like a stuck pig from a place you don't want to be bleeding from. So if the slow release doesn't help, well... That's where the low carbing can come in handy. I ditched the meds with my doc's approval and never looked back. Just so you know. Some tolerate metformin just fine, others don't, but whatever the case may be for you... You have options. (And medicinal ones as well, there's more available than just the met.)

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi

I've recently been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes.

On Saturday, I lost a bank card which I got back thankfully. I also dropped a bottle of wine at the supermarket. I felt absolutely drained which seems to be down to a loss of concentration.

Is this a common thing. I'm back at the Docs tomorrow to get further blood tests for cholesterol and haemochromtosis (my body is producing too much Iron).

Is loss of concentration of absent-mindedness common?

Thanks
We've all dropped things on occasion! I wouldn't worry its anything of significabce.

Sal260

Hi
I have IBS too and on diagnosis was stressing re the side effects of metformin. Have been on
SR 1x500 for 9 months now with no ill effects. Hope this is the same for you.