Blood sugar was 13 ( recently just had my 32 of lantus) an hour later I took 59 units of novarapid

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi,

Depends if you know what 1u of correction dose with Novarapid drops you by?

Or have you snacked too??

Reactions: Grumpy Porridge

Fenn

Type of diabetes
Type 1.5
Treatment type
Insulin
59 units of novorapid? Was that a mistake or do you usually take that amount? I think we are not allowed to advise on doses? But its hard for me to imagine a meal that could be carby enough for 59 units, im not an expert though.

Im editing to say, this has made me realise no one really talks about how much they dose, so I have supposed my amounts are normalish, when in fact I have no idea what normal actually is, or even if there is a normal.

I hope you get an answer

Last edited:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Really 59 units? That seems like an awful lot. Was it for a really super high carb meal? Or were you asking if it was okay you took your Novorapid an hour after your Lantus? The hour after is fine. The amount is a lot.

Last edited:

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What was the 59 units for? For a blood sugar of 13 unless you snacked a lot then I would say that's pretty high insulin amounts for anyone, I would've personally been unconscious if I hadn't eaten 570g carbs along with that and there's no way on earth I could eat that much in one sitting, I eat less than 200g carbs a day!

@Fenn hello again :) how have you gotten on since our chat on your post? There isn't really a "normal" and we each need what we need at the end of the day, basal changes regularly occur, ratios can differ for an individual through the day and as you are Type 2 you may be using a little more than a "standard" Type 1 as we generally aren't as insulin as insulin resistant, me I'm quite happy to share my doses so I'm currently taking 22U of Tresiba at bedtime and so far this week its been 10U NovoRapid everyday for meals xx

Reactions: Marie 2

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
@Grumpy Porridge How are you today?
As others have mentioned, we cannot (and should not) advise on dose because we are all different - we eat differently, we weigh different amounts, we do different levels of exercise, we experience different amounts of stress, we differing levels of insulin resistance.
However, what surprised me is the ratio of NovoRapid to Lantus. Whilst we are all different, typically, he ratio is 1 to 1 although this depends on your day - what you eat, etc. Your basal (Lantus) sounds low compared to NovoRapid (bolus).

Regardless of this, your original message was confusing - I hope you are ok?

Reactions: EllieM

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Whilst we are all different, typically, he ratio is 1 to 1 although this depends on your day - what you eat, etc. Your basal (Lantus) sounds low compared to NovoRapid (bolus).
Again we are all very different, my basal has always been quite a lot less than my bolus, for mine to be a 1-1 ratio I'd only be allowed about 55-60 carbs a day ....

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Again we are all very different, my basal has always been quite a lot less than my bolus, for mine to be a 1-1 ratio I'd only be allowed about 55-60 carbs a day ....

and if exercise etc is added to the mix, even more so.

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
There are U300 and U500 insulins out there for a reason (3 and 5 times the strength of conventional U100 insulin). T2s are insulin resistant and some really do need what might seem like very large quantities of insulin to others.

As to @Grumpy Porridge 's question (I love your user name btw), there's no way for any of us on here to tell (and we aren't allowed to advise on dosage amounts). Hopefully your diabetic team have advised you on dosages and you are following that advice?

Good luck, I hope you are Ok.

TashT1

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Given that Grumpy Porridge is newly diagnosed, has previously been on fixed doses & doesn’t have a lot of experience with carb counting.... I’m concerned.

Her previous post spoke of 32u Lantus & 12u to cover dinner so 59u seems like a huge jump.

Hopefully she gets in touch soon & is ok.

Grumpy Porridge

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone , thank you for your replies and concern

I have mental health problems and unfortunately gave myself 50 extra units . And the next day I have myself 200. I went to hospital where, I was fortunately fine after some IV drip. I will be getting help from the mental health team very soon and WONT be trying that again . Could have resulted in brain damage , so very scary stuff.

its just been under a month since I’ve been newly diagnosed and have an awful lot to learn . I have not yet begun carb counting and I don’t even cook yet ( I live with my mum and she does the meals ) so it’s a big life change .

My GAD results came back as positive and were 2000

Im now wondering if it’s type 1 I have or LADA? As they both seem to display the same characteristics
I read it’s usually diagnosed in 30+ ( I’m 28 so that wouldn’t discount me from LADA would it ?)

I do not know if I have had a C p ( forgot the name ) test to determine what level of insulin sensitivity I have , I will ask at an appointment I have soon , but nothing has been mentioned to me about that . Or how far I am into the honeymoon phase.

I was put on insulin straight away, they guessed it’s type 1 surely ? So could I actually have LADA and be on insulin when I don’t actually need that much of it ?? I’m on two Novarapids a day ( I don’t have breakfast , that’s why it’s two ) at 8 then 12 units ( I also add a few more on if I think I’m having quite a few carbs ( it’s just a guess as I can’t do carb counting at the mo) and also Lantas, 32 units at 11pm

appreciate all your informative replies ,

Thank you !

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I was put on insulin straight away, they guessed it’s type 1 surely ? So could I actually have LADA and be on insulin when I don’t actually need that much of it ?? I’m on two Novarapids a day ( I don’t have breakfast , that’s why it’s two ) at 8 then 12 units ( I also add a few more on if I think I’m having quite a few carbs ( it’s just a guess as I can’t do carb counting at the mo) and also Lantas, 32 units at 11pm

I'm so glad you're OK :). (I must admit when you didn't post after your initial post in this thread I was worrying that you might be dead or in hospital with a massive hypo).

LADA is just slow onset T1, so there isn't really that much difference. Some LADA for can manage for a while without insulin, others get put onto insulin immediately so as to preserve their insulin producing cells a bit longer. Many T1s/LADAs have a honeymoon period when first diagnosed where the introduction of insulin injections means that their own insulin production lasts for longer. In some ways this is good (less insulin to inject because you are still producing some) and in other ways bad (amount produced internally can vary so it's harder to predict your injection needs). So I wouldn't worry about the label. Just accept that your body's insulin production is slowing and you need injections now and will probably need to up the dose when you finally leave the honeymoon period.

Different people need massively differing amounts of insulin, so hard to say whether you're on a large or small dose, but doctors usually start you on a low dose which they gradually increase, so as to avoid getting hypos through too much insulin. (Well, I guess you know about hypos now and honestly they are the thing I hate most about T1.)

Glad you are getting help on the mental health site, it's not an easy diagnosis and you aren't alone in needing or wanting help. Remember that as these boards are international there's usually someone awake if you want to have a chat.

As regards carb counting etc, you'll get the hang of it eventually, no need to panic if you haven't got there yet. The important thing now is to keep taking your insulin and don't overdose. There's a lot to learn and no one expects you to learn it all at once.

Good luck.

Last edited:

Marie 2

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Pump
Hi @Grumpy Porridge I'm sorry to hear about the hospital stay. Please make sure you get some help. Insulin overdose is not pleasant at all.

Like @EllieM has said, LADA is type 1, it's just a description used as you get it older as it usually takes longer to completely lose your ability to make insulin. The C-peptide probably won't give you a bunch of information as it is usually low or low normal when diagnosed, it's just a sign at the time you are tested of how much insulin you are producing. It can vary some day to day and will decrease over time. It doesn't tell you insulin sensitivity which is not commonly a problem in a type 1, especially a newer type 1.

I would suggest, especially if you are going to vary your dosing to start to carb count. The sooner you get used to it the better. You just look on the packages at serving sizes and the carb counts, or you look up the food you are eating and portion size for carb counts. It will help you to get you used to carb counting. And when you get some guidance on how to dose or take something like a daphne course it will be easier to learn what to do.

They start you out at a safe dose level to help prevent hypo's. It can really vary at the beginning.

Reactions: EllieM
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi @Grumpy Porridge I'm sorry to hear about the hospital stay. Please make sure you get some help. Insulin overdose is not pleasant at all.

Like @EllieM has said, LADA is type 1, it's just a description used as you get it older as it usually takes longer to completely lose your ability to make insulin. The C-peptide probably won't give you a bunch of information as it is usually low or low normal when diagnosed, it's just a sign at the time you are tested of how much insulin you are producing. It can vary some day to day and will decrease over time. It doesn't tell you insulin sensitivity which is not commonly a problem in a type 1, especially a newer type 1.

I would suggest, especially if you are going to vary your dosing to start to carb count. The sooner you get used to it the better. You just look on the packages at serving sizes and the carb counts, or you look up the food you are eating and portion size for carb counts. It will help you to get you used to carb counting. And when you get some guidance on how to dose or take something like a daphne course it will be easier to learn what to do.

They start you out at a safe dose level to help prevent hypo's. It can really vary at the beginning.
Agreed, but its DAFNE not Daphne, stands for - Dosage Adjustment For Normal Eating.

Type of diabetes
Type 1
59 units of novorapid? Was that a mistake or do you usually take that amount? I think we are not allowed to advise on doses? But its hard for me to imagine a meal that could be carby enough for 59 units, im not an expert though.

Im editing to say, this has made me realise no one really talks about how much they dose, so I have supposed my amounts are normalish, when in fact I have no idea what normal actually is, or even if there is a normal.

I hope you get an answer
I take 1 unit per 10g of carbs. So on average 4-8 units per meal. 59 units approx twice what I take for the whole day.

Jaylee

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
! unit reduces bs by 3. You took 59 units? Is that a typo? That's a LOT of insulin. Never heard of so high a dose . Correlates to eating an enormous amount of carbs.

Hi,

Snap. 1u covers me that way too.. :) However, others sometimes need different ratios.
Same with the insulin to carb dosage. Which is what I was attempting to accertain up thread.?

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
I take 1 unit per 10g of carbs. So on average 4-8 units per meal. 59 units approx twice what I take for the whole day.

Insulin resistant T2s can easily use that amount of insulin, so you can never assume dosages. Different people can use drastically different amounts of insulin. However it seems that Grumpy Porridge has come back after her insulin overdose and a trip to hospital, so it was an extreme amount for her. Hopefully she gets used to injecting regular and consistent amounts of insulin soon.