Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Hi .
Have just spent the last 2 weeks battling ' off ' my 5th dose of sinussitus, am on my 2nd lot of antibiotics now for it.... :(
My GP has sent me for both chest and facial xrays , plus given me 2 scripts of antibiotics. He is being helpful and supportive.
Am back to see him this week for check up and feedback on how I am progressing.
This last lot of it has wiped me out! Slept the hours of the days away. Off my food with the facial jaw pain.Plus out of it with the strong painrelief [which just knocked me out, and never really killed the pain ]
Given up on the monititoring of my BG levels, as they shot up with both the virus,bacterial infection, and the strong antibiotics my GP gave me. Theyre going to shoot upwards anyway, so whats the point!
[no point in stressing over them - when have to battle with the agony in my face and jaw and head!]
Also for the last 5 days havent been able to cope with even doing my levemir/victoza my diabetes has had to really take a back seat whilst I fought the sinussitus off.
Today is the first day where the pain is still there but at a much more copeable level.
When I return to my GP am going to stress and push the importance of addressing my low immune system and reoccurring sinus infections.
Have felt so frustrated with it all, cant even cope with my diabetes meds/therapy plus fighting away the sinussitus on top of that!!!
Any others have had similar experiences like this??
Anna.

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Re: Chronic Sinussitus

It's a few years since I've had sinusitis, but I can remember how awful it made me feel. I'm glad your doctor is being supportive, as you say sometimes diabetes has to take a back seat. I hope you soon start to feel the benefit from the antibiotics, as you've had some before hopefully the doctor will now have given you some stronger ones.

Hope you soon feel better,

Ann

ClaireG 06

:( Anna. It must be so frustrating getting these repeat infections all the time.

I've had sinus problems to but haven't been given antibiotics. I can't have decongestants because of my BP so have been advised by Dr to use steam and also to take an antihistermine which does seem to help me.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

I had very bad sinusitis that nothing seemed to cure I was advised to dissolve Epsom salts in hot water and make compresses for my forehead and across the sinus on the cheek bones .Keep hotting the compresses up and reapplying .I found lying in the bath was the least messy way of doing this!Please try it I didnt think it would work either !
CAROL

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Hi all.
Thanks for your posts and advice.
I kept my head and face wrapped up in a warm fluffy towel it didnt take the pain away but it did soothe me!
My hubby was wondering what an earth I was doing tho... :shock:
Have to say I cant possibly endure this ever again , had BG levels of 27 whilst battling this infection off.
Been in touch with both my DSN and my consultants secretary and have insisted on these reoccurring infections are investigated [ it was my 5th one ! ] Cant carry on like this .
Found whilst fighting this I was unable to cope with doing my insulin shots and doing my daily BG levels. So the diabetes had to take a back seat.
Today is the first day of me getting back to doing my insulin/victoza shots and more regular BG levels.
I was knocking the strong pain relief back [tramadol] and it was only lasting 2-3hrs , never went a full 4 hrs with them. No appetite at all plus was off my head on them! It was truly awful.
Am waiting for my consultants secretary to ring me back. My DSN agrees we need to investigate these reoccurring throat,sinus, upper respiratory infections.
My GP has been great doing what he can to help, had to use much stronger powerful antibiotics and has referred me to the hospital for face and chest xrays last week.
I really do need to get to the bottom of this now. It was horrendous.
Anna.

Ann19

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

Hi Anna, it sounds like you have a good team to look after you! Hopefully they'll get to the bottom of the reoccurring infections and solve the cause of them. Glad your feeling a little better. :thumbup:

Ann x

daisy3174

Hi there, dont know if this helps or is connected, I suffered recurrent sinus infections for two years, I gave up with antbiotics as they did not work, tried everything to no avail.About 6 months ago I had all but 2 top front teeth out,my sinuses have been fine since, its heaven.I am not saying to go and have your teeth out, but do you have any dental problems perhaps x

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes

Hi daisy3174.
Know why you may think it could be tooth related, my own GP initially wondered this too, but ruled it out as the pain site was text book chronic sinusisitis.
Nerve path is similar to pain with toothache also, so its important to get the diagnosis right.
It was definetely maxillary sinus infection, and took two courses of antibiotics to treat it.
Many thanks for your thoughts and replies.
Anna.x

dot

My OH is prone to Chronic sinusitus after being butted in the face by an angry ram - it seems to have re-arranged the sinus drainage system. He was on painkillers but has also been given a steroid nasal spray to take down the inflammation.

His sense of smell is virtually non-existent. :(

daisy3174

Hi again Anna, there is a thing you can buy to rinse out your sinuses, called a Neti pot or something similar, they have different ones in Boots too, dont know if you have tried this x

Indy51

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I've heard of people having success with dissolving probiotic powder into the water they use in the Neti pot. Using good bacteria to crowd out the bad.