Type 1 Spin class

SareN

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone,

Just wondering if anyone out there does spin classes and how their blood sugar reacts?
I used to teach it for years before I became diabetic but have only just gone back to it as a diabetic.
Blood sugar started at 5.9 and went up to 10.8. I'd prefer it didn't go that high but also wary of going low in a class so did it without any fast acting insulin on board. (I'm on injections, not a pump).

Just wondering how others get on. I'm Lada/type 1 and love my exercise.

In Response

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Before the pandemic, I was a frequent spinner (3 or 4 times a week).
My experience was a drop in blood sugars even when I had no fast acting insulin on board.

But, we are all as different as spin classes are different.
It is not unusual for HIIT to cause a rise in blood sugars and some spin classes are more HIIT-y than others.

During the pandemic, I have been doing Zwift workouts which are the closest I can get to spinning at home, This definitely causes my blood sugars to plummet but it is more endurance than most spin classes so I am not surprised.

I recommend persevering. If your blood sugars alway rise, take some insulin before you start (climbing makes my blood sugars rise so I take enough fast acting insulin to aim for 3mmol/l knowing I will never get there) but always keep hypo treatment close to hand.

Reactions: SareN

SareN

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your reply. This class is very much alternating between sprints and hill climbs so pretty intense and possibly why its spiking me.
Next week I will maybe try half a unit before the class and see if that flattens the spike at all without sending me low. I guess its all trial and error. I just really don't want to go low in a class.

Reactions: In Response

ROE100

Hi SareN

I did the Dafne course quite a few years aogo and they went through exercise and suggested you needed to active insulin in your body otherwise you may wise during exercise.

I use to have lunch at 12 noon (with injection) and nothing else then go to a class around 6pm check beforeclass everything was great but after class quite often high like yourself. At the course it was suggested i eat later than 12 noon so i slipt my lunch ate part at 12 noon (with injection) and then ate the second part at 3pm Iwith injection). At the time it worked and a rise didn't occur, they were cautious about injecting a unit before the class as for me it was not always 100% I would rise.

But as everyone says we are all different so you need to find what works for you.

ROE

SareN

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks for your reply, I think I'll try that next week and have a small snack an hour or so before with some insulin and see if that helps keep things a bit more steady.