What have you eaten today? (Low carb forum)

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well! Sous vide!
First meal with the new bit of kit was rack of lamb and I’m hooked! Finished it off by smearing h/m Mayo on it and searing in a red hot pan ( recommended by someone on the sous vide FB group - great tip) Had a couple of broccoli spears with it for colour but they were superfluous really.
Oh, brunch was asparagus and broccoli frittata.
Mid afternoon hunger led to slice of roast beef spread with Dijon mustard and a slice of cheese.
Back to this evening’s meal- it was accompanied by 2 glasses Malbec and followed by a DGF cake.
@PenguinMum and @ianpspurs I haven’t sent Christmas cards for a couple of years now and I’m much happier - I give a charity donation instead.View attachment 46164View attachment 46165

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
D: gammon steak with cauliflower cheese (the sauce was cream, cream cheese, grated mozzerella and parmesan just stirred into the boiled cauliflower. I don't miss making bechamels at all, except in the wallet)

I agree. All that faffing around with making a roux base, and having the extra pan to wash. I much prefer it the low carb way.

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
They’re just photos on my phone which I can normally add with no problem. Did have an iOS update recently though which usually causes mayhem.
I have never been able to add photo's directly from my phone :(
The forum always tells me they're too large.

Reactions: DJC3

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Same festive meal as yesterday, only yesterday I used a smaller plate so everything looked thrown together and with the peanut sauce on top the picture looked really unappetising, however good it tasted :hilarious:

So today I used a big plate, looks a whole lot better!
And I very much enjoyed my meal :hungry::happy:

Apart from the little carbs in the veggies there are some in the peanut sauce and in the sweet soy sauce used in the marinade for the meat and the sauce for the mushrooms. Still, according to my meter and the amount of insulin taken, it's a very reasonable low carb meal :)

131142909_10222409153451998_7632658288299095538_o.jpg

Last edited:

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Well! Sous vide!
First meal with the new bit of kit was rack of lamb and I’m hooked! Finished it off by smearing h/m Mayo on it and searing in a red hot pan ( recommended by someone on the sous vide FB group - great tip) Had a couple of broccoli spears with it for colour but they were superfluous really.
Oh, brunch was asparagus and broccoli frittata.
Mid afternoon hunger led to slice of roast beef spread with Dijon mustard and a slice of cheese.
Back to this evening’s meal- it was accompanied by 2 glasses Malbec and followed by a DGF cake.
@PenguinMum and @ianpspurs I haven’t sent Christmas cards for a couple of years now and I’m much happier - I give a charity donation instead.View attachment 46164View attachment 46165

That rack of lamb is your gateway to all manner of magic, including things like fast sloe gin, infused oils, and I bet your daughter will love it for some of the lotions and potions you were mentioning recently. Did you use your inner pot?

I'm guessing now isn't the time to mention this............... https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/kitchen-kit/silvercrest-vacuum-sealer/p38214

I'll get m'coat.

Reactions: DJC3 and Antje77

Antje77

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
With all of you air frying experts on here, I'll have lunch with my friend tomorrow and I can use some advice.
Lunch will consist of air fried pork belly strips. (She is not diabetic but loves pork belly as much as I do, AND she has an air fryer so no need to go all fancy and complicated with lunch :D)

So how do we cook the very best air fried pork belly strips ever? Seasoning, and with what, before or after? Other tips?

SilverK

Hi I am really enjoying Lizza toasties split and toasted and topped with egg mayo or cheesey coleslaw. I think they need to be to risp and a flavourful topping. Realise neither of my suggestions would work while drivi g though LOL.

Lol, maybe not, good suggestions though!
- high protein low carb yogurt, almonds and black coffee.
- scrambled egg with cheese on hot buttered Lizza toastie, peanuts.
Another not hungry day.

DCUKMod

Master
Staff Member
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
With all of you air frying experts on here, I'll have lunch with my friend tomorrow and I can use some advice.
Lunch will consist of air fried pork belly strips. (She is not diabetic but loves pork belly as much as I do, AND she has an air fryer so no need to go all fancy and complicated with lunch :D)

So how do we cook the very best air fried pork belly strips ever? Seasoning, and with what, before or after? Other tips?

Timings will depend on how thick your belly slices are, however, .itll be towards 30 minutes.

I just tend to cut the slices into smaller chunks, with each piece having a piece or rind on it, or if the rind has been trimmed off, ensure the trimmed edge is part of every piece.

Season well with salt and pepper, salt and chilli oil, salt and lemon pepper, tandoori marinade, peri peri marinate, lemon and rosemary, and so on.

Just before cooking spray or brush each piece lightly, the get em going.

They're done when the look great and any coating is well crisped.

Reactions: notepadplusplus

DJC3

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
That rack of lamb is your gateway to all manner of magic, including things like fast sloe gin, infused oils, and I bet your daughter will love it for some of the lotions and potions you were mentioning recently. Did you use your inner pot?

I'm guessing now isn't the time to mention this............... https://www.lidl.co.uk/en/p/kitchen-kit/silvercrest-vacuum-sealer/p38214

I'll get m'coat.

Nooo!
Actually the water displacement method worked very well, thank heavens!

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
B: a small ff greek with seeds and blueberries before yoga
L: gouda and seeds crisps as a vehicle for a little pate. A tomato and half an avocado.
Mid afternoon a Yes bar
D: found a mozzarella ball lurking at back of fridge. Bb date of 25th November but it smelt OK, looked OK and tasted OK. Added 3 slices of salami, a tablespoon of coleslaw, a tomato and the last 3 strips 9f h/m roasted peppers. Pud was cream with 2 chopped brazils, 1 sq 85% and 6 blueberries

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Today’s meal suited me. B= Assam TWAMIS: Dockey: Costa CWCSFCS - not totally convinced that was SF from Swipey - no spike but h/m produces a clear dip - forgot to test pre slurp though; L: Tea when back where I shelter and sleep (not my home yet) - out and about - local market (cheap Turbot filleted in front of me) and chasing bills; EM: Super salmon and avo salad and vit tabs. Stretch comfort fit type of meal. Thankfully not two sizes smaller and still falling off with belts as tight as they will go as per (new) Levis. @DJC3 and @PenguinMum new #1 Christmas no, no - that Mariah Carey song:arghh::arghh:

Last edited:

Rachox

Oracle
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Breakfast: my usual low carb coconut ‘porridge’ with strawberries and cream washed down with a black coffee
Late morning: black coffee and chocolate phd bar.
Skipped lunch.
Mid afternoon: black coffee and a few mixed nuts.
Dinner: prawn cocktail, leafy salad, coleslaw and a small packet of Cheesies followed by SF jelly, cream and LC chocolate granola.

shelley262

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Breakfast scrambled eggs with one slice of lc toast
Lunch one slice of lc cheese on toast and 4 Brazil nuts
Pre dinner small bag of cheesies
Dinner sea bream in lemon butter with cauliflower cheese and four very small new potato chips (about one small potato) glass of dry white wine followed by DGF salted caramel Blondie and cream.