Meter decision - Glucomen, GlucoRx, Accu-Chek

pjcand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi All,

My CCG (Clinical Commissioning Groups) has decided that everyone in my area, Camden North London, can choose from three approved meters. I am wondering if anyone has any tips on the following 3 options. My current meter is a Contour Next USB and is really reliable. Accuracy and reliability are my main criteria.
  • Glucomen Areo 2K
  • GlucoRx HCT & Ketone
  • Accu-Chek Aviva Expert
If anyone has an experience of these meters I would be very grateful for any tips.

Thanks

Patrick

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've not used the Glucomen or GlucoRx ones but I believe the Accu-Chek Aviva Expert is being discontinued, so not sure why they would be offering that

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
While yes the Expert is being discontinued it is still available until January and I don't see why there would be an issue with that as the Aviva strips it uses will still be available

I use the Expert and it is a good meter but I'm switching to the contour next one just because I find the expert a bit bulky, no experience with the other 2 options
xx

h884

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Everyone in my health board area was changed to the glucomen areo 2k if they changed to freestyle libre. I have not found it a very good meter. It is heavy on batteries (approximately every 4 weeks). When the batteries are going low you need to set the date and time every time you use it. I only use it for testing for ketones so it not used that often, Also I was guided to keep the meter in case provided which has a plastic support for the meter to stop the buttons getting pressed accidentally if it is you bag or pocket. The company are very good at sending you a replacement and batteries. I have had 4 replaced in a year !!!

Hope this helps

TypeZero.

I have the Glucomen Areo 2k but I only use it as my secondary backup meter.

The pros are :
-It’s cheaper for the NHS
-It does ketone testing

Cons:
-It does not connect to diasend
-It is large and bulky compared to Contour Next (which I use as my primary)
-The test strips require quite a lot of blood, sometimes I don’t bleed enough and the test strip is wasted. (The Contour Next however has like a 20 sec wait function where it waits for you to bleed more if you have given insufficient blood the first time)
-The Glucomen Areo 2k is less accurate, sometimes suggests you are 0.2-0.3 higher than you actually are

Can’t comment on the other ones but it must be a really annoying that your CCG is limiting you.

Reactions: RafaelMF

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Can’t comment on the other ones but it must be a really annoying that your CCG is limiting you.
Many of us don't get any choice unless a consultant from the hospital says to use other specified ones

TypeZero.

Many of us don't get any choice unless a consultant from the hospital says to use other specified ones

Many companies are offering free blood glucose meters, if you have the meter then I don’t see why your GP will refuse giving test strips.

So far I haven’t experienced any resistance from my GP, I ordered a Contour Next One for free online, but my only annoyance is my GP always playing around with my repeat prescription list

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Many companies are offering free blood glucose meters, if you have the meter then I don’t see why your GP will refuse giving test strips.

So far I haven’t experienced any resistance from my GP, I ordered a Contour Next One for free online, but my only annoyance is my GP always playing around with my repeat prescription list

Probably depends on the CCG, but given that its the test strips that is the main ongoing cost (rather than the meter), they'll only pay for the specific strips that fit into their cost bracket, some are a lot more expensive than others. mine would only prescribe TrueYou strips before I got a letter from the consultant.

Anyways, I think we may have gone off topic, oops :(

Reactions: TypeZero.

pjcand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
While yes the Expert is being discontinued it is still available until January and I don't see why there would be an issue with that as the Aviva strips it uses will still be available

I use the Expert and it is a good meter but I'm switching to the contour next one just because I find the expert a bit bulky, no experience with the other 2 options
xx
The Contour Next USB is fantastic and the 'One' is also proving pretty good, although the user experience isn't quite as good as the USB it does upload my results to xDrip automagically, which is super useful. Thanks for your advice

pjcand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Everyone in my health board area was changed to the glucomen areo 2k if they changed to freestyle libre. I have not found it a very good meter. It is heavy on batteries (approximately every 4 weeks). When the batteries are going low you need to set the date and time every time you use it. I only use it for testing for ketones so it not used that often, Also I was guided to keep the meter in case provided which has a plastic support for the meter to stop the buttons getting pressed accidentally if it is you bag or pocket. The company are very good at sending you a replacement and batteries. I have had 4 replaced in a year !!!

Hope this helps
Thanks for your advice. How have you found the accuracy of the Glucomen?

pjcand

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I have the Glucomen Areo 2k but I only use it as my secondary backup meter.

The pros are :
-It’s cheaper for the NHS
-It does ketone testing

Cons:
-It does not connect to diasend
-It is large and bulky compared to Contour Next (which I use as my primary)
-The test strips require quite a lot of blood, sometimes I don’t bleed enough and the test strip is wasted. (The Contour Next however has like a 20 sec wait function where it waits for you to bleed more if you have given insufficient blood the first time)
-The Glucomen Areo 2k is less accurate, sometimes suggests you are 0.2-0.3 higher than you actually are

That's super useful. I was expecting the meters my CCG offer to be slightly less accurate just by virtue of their cheapness. I totally agree about the contour, I think I probably use many fewer test strips due to the wait function