What was your fasting blood glucose? (with some chat)

Mrs T 123

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Finished my 72 hours fast and while it went swimmingly, by the end of it I was actually feeling quite hungry as well. BG was 4.6 a minute back on xdrip as well as finger prick but I have just finished eating like 20 minutes back so need to wait I guess to see if it rises a lot in next hour or so.... It has been hovering in 4s and 5s most of today even though I was quite active whole day as can be seen on the graph for last 24 hrs...

I was very hungry and I fear I may have eaten more than what I normally eat but we will see what happens tomorrow morning... I may give a skip to breakfast and have lunch directly if readings are a bit higher or I am not feeling hungry or both... will give a gap of 14 hrs anyway.View attachment 46240

Edited to add... BG after 2 hrs was 6 and 3 hrs is 5.3 and a downward trend so hopefully that's all good...off to bed filled with optimism :)
OMG - 72 hours that's impressive - wow - did you feel starving or close to passing out at any point?

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
OMG - 72 hours that's impressive - wow

did you feel starving or close to passing out at any point?

No not at all... Infact, after I had finished 62 hours (morning) I was feeling very fresh, my sense of smell and alertness was very high and I was generally feeling extremely optimistic and happy. In afternoon around 64 to 68 hours mark while I was quite active, walking about and finishing some Christmas shopping - I felt hunger pangs because there were all those lovely food smells wafting around and to be honest that must have been the reason I did not have the will power to take it all the way to this morning and limit it to 72 hours - My brain was processing all the great smells and I just felt I had to eat and the duration of fast still felt like a milestone anyway.

Reactions: Ryhia and ianpspurs

notepadplusplus

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
7.2 mmol/L this morning

Worst reading I've ever had. I had a cheat day for the first time as I came back home and yeah... I've learnt not to do that ever again.

There was some good news though, my latest HbA1c came back today as 40. It was 61 last month so it's dropped by quite a bit. Am very pleased about that, and it is definitely motivation for me not to have a cheat day ever again.

nutribolt

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
7.2 mmol/L this morning

Worst reading I've ever had. I had a cheat day for the first time as I came back home and yeah... I've learnt not to do that ever again.

There was some good news though, my latest HbA1c came back today as 40. It was 61 last month so it's dropped by quite a bit. Am very pleased about that, and it is definitely motivation for me not to have a cheat day ever again.

Hey congratulations on significant improvement in your HbA1c readings.

I am assuming that by "cheat day" you mean a high carb day... if so 7.2 is not bad right... I mean it is still below 7.5 which is what I read is a number that can cause harm to organs. Once you revert to your careful diet, I am sure you will be back to getting good readings. I am not suggesting that you should frequently drop the guard but I hope you aren't too disheartened and take pride in the fact that carbs also did not push your readings into dangerous levels.

Keep going strong!! :)

JFWinstone

7.2 mmol/L this morning

Awesome news on the HbA1c :woot::happy:

Reactions: notepadplusplus

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
7.2 mmol/L this morning

Awesome news and reward for hard work and discipline.

Gilly149

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello mates,
At a couple of the other forums I've frequented there was a thread like this one where we all sorta checked in each day, with our first cup of coffee or tea, and reported our fasting or waking blood glucose level and some short comment about whether we're ok with it or if not - why not?...

It worked well as a sort of 'first thread to check' each morning and post to.

I'll start.

This morning was a 5.6mmol for me. That's about normal for me

What about you?
Hi. I’m looking for help. I have just started on insulin as I have short bowel syndrome due to many ops for Crohn’s disease.
I’m at the moment increasing my insulin every three days. I’m on 12 units twice a day at the moment.
I was unable to absorb oral medication.
My fasting level is at 10 ish in the morning and 10 ish before my evening meal.
However, I was hoping to put on weight but to even maintain this level I am very hungry and losing more.
Am I supposed to eat what I need and carry on increasing insulin dose until it balances both dietary needs and glucose level