Unsupportive management.

joffy01582

Driving with blood sugars of lower than 5 is the same as drink driving and if caught you could lose your license .....been there for another complaint .....18 months to get my license back

LaoDan

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
The term “new normal “
Driving with blood sugars of lower than 5 is the same as drink driving and if caught you could lose your license .....been there for another complaint .....18 months to get my license back
5? I’m regularly in the 4s. Ouch

Andydragon

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Given non diabetic pre meal are between 4 and 6 I can’t see how this is true

Goonergal

Master
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
My dvla consultant says you can drive as low as 4 but you shod not start a journey if under 5

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My dvla consultant says you can drive as low as 4 but you shod not start a journey if under 5

Hi there, that may make good sense but it's not entirely true (in the UK). If it were I would rarely be able to commence a drive at all as I am often in the 4s. A lot depends on an individuals circumstances of course (and whether they fall fast or not etc) but the Law states you CAN start off a drive in the 4s but should have a snack.

If you hypo whilst you are driving, then you MUST stop (obviously), treat the hypo and THEN wait until it's in the 5s to continue driving.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Hi there, that may make good sense but it's not entirely true (in the UK). If it were I would rarely be able to commence a drive at all as I am often in the 4s. A lot depends on an individuals circumstances of course (and whether they fall fast or not etc) but the Law states you CAN start off a drive in the 4s but should have a snack.

If you hypo whilst you are driving, then you MUST stop (obviously), treat the hypo and THEN wait until it's in the 5s to continue driving.
I think most of it when you read is recommended not required.. the only thing set in stone is that you cant drive when clinically hypo.. and you are classed as clinically hypo at 3.9 or below I believe.