Changing to slow release?!

Sezzle

I have been on norm metformin for about 8 weeks, 4 a day, occasional dash to toilet but in these covid days I’m working at him and not too bad.
My bloods reduced from 97 to 64, and lost almost 3 stone.
My dr has changed me to slow release... I haven’t started them yet, but reading some of the stuff on here... I getting nervous and think maybe I should stick with what I know?!
Any advice?
Thanks

Mike d

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
idiots who will not learn
SR is (from all accounts I've read and personal experience) easier to handle. Up to you though

Last edited:

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have been on norm metformin for about 8 weeks, 4 a day, occasional dash to toilet but in these covid days I’m working at him and not too bad.
My dr has changed me to slow release... I haven’t started them yet, but reading some of the stuff on here... I getting nervous and think maybe I should stick with what I know?!
Any advice?
Thanks
I'm guessing you did more than just start taking metformin, as that's quite the change in HbA1c and weight. If that's a change that happened in 8 weeks, it's likely that you probably don't need metformin soon enough, but.... The slow release version is usually tolerated better than the regular kind, so it might keep you from the runs when all this is over and you can go about your life as usual again. But that reduction in 8 weeks... Excellent work!

CrochetCarley

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
I recently changed to SR Metformin and it has done wonders for me. No more dashing to the bathroom!

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
Any advice?
Thanks

Oh I am so glad I am on slow release metformin. Regular was terrible for me, hideous bouts of violent flatulence and almost constant toilet visits. Switched to slow release and all my symptoms vanished. Much happier on those although I appreciate not everyone gets side effects to the same extent or at all.

Reactions: Sally1234

Patrick66

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
People. Noise. Swearing. Many foods.
I recently changed to SR Metformin and it has done wonders for me. No more dashing to the bathroom!

That was my experience as well. I no longer sounded like I had nipped into the work toilet to practice the trombone! The side effects of regular were just horrible.