EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
It's 52 which, while not good, is not the disaster the DN implied. Especially as I have been ill for months and may have had the UTI for a week or so too, plus the abscess from two weeks ago is still healing as well. I have 4 more days of strong antibiotics.

Given that illness makes bgs go up, sometimes very significantly, I think it's amazing that both your current levels and that hba1c aren't higher. I think you're just going to have to wait until the current infections clear, I'm afraid, and then add in some more time for your system to recover.

Good luck.

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
@lucylocket61

I am so sorry that you are still facing so many challenges. It is quite obvious from this thread how much everyone values you- I have always been struck with what a warm and empathetic person you are.

This year has been a tough one for everyone but certainly more tough for some than others. You know in your brain that illness and stress- not to mention other conditions effect your blood sugar levels in ways you can't control - it's just hard when you have been trying so hard. However, you are absolutely not failing- in no way.

Sending you virtual hugs as I have no helpful advice. Just be sure to know how valued you are in this community, how hel.pful you have been to others and what a different you have made to many lives.

Take are of yourself and let us know how you are going.

RFSMarch

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@lucylocket61

I am so sorry that you are still facing so many challenges. It is quite obvious from this thread how much everyone values you- I have always been struck with what a warm and empathetic person you are.

This year has been a tough one for everyone but certainly more tough for some than others. You know in your brain that illness and stress- not to mention other conditions effect your blood sugar levels in ways you can't control - it's just hard when you have been trying so hard. However, you are absolutely not failing- in no way.

Sending you virtual hugs as I have no helpful advice. Just be sure to know how valued you are in this community, how hel.pful you have been to others and what a different you have made to many lives.

Take are of yourself and let us know how you are going.
@lucylocket61 I echo this. I remember you coming to my defence when I was first on these forums and you are one of the real good'uns on here.

Sending you huge hugs

Reactions: zand

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I have finished my course of antibiotics, and got a 7.4 before my tea, and a 8 afterwards, so think my blood sugar levels are coming down again : )

I plan to hold fire on any further meds, and if the DN threatens so discharge me for non compliance, I will talk to my nice GP about her.

Roggg

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
FWIW, I've been on both those drugs for 2 years, and the ramipril even longer. I never had any side-effects of either one. The flozen has been good to me. I even lost some weight on it. Agreed with others, it makes you prone to UTIs and I think the last thing you want is to start feeding sugar to a pre-existing UTI, so I'd be cautious with that. Best of luck to you. I hope things turn around for you soon.

Reactions: zand

Smallbrit

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm very glad things are starting to point in the right direction for you.

lucylocket61

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Spoke to DN by phone today. The conversation lasted a whole 4 mins!!! She had no suggestion of an alternative blood pressure meds to take instead of ramapril. Couldnt explain why, when my BS have fluctuated between 51 and 44 for 8 years she now wants me to take empagliflozin with a HbA1c of 52, and say for me to get a blood pressure monitor, and phone her with the average daily results in 3 months time, and maybe I can have another HbA1c then.

You couldnt make this up!!!

Meanwhile, I had a cheese sandwich with two slices of home made wholemeal bread. Before it was 8.3, 2 hours after it was 7.3, another hour later I was 6.

Maybe I am having random liver dumps??????

Last edited:

zand

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
re the BP tablets. I gave up Ramipril in favour of Losartan. I find it to be much kinder.

Belvoir Angel

I am just back from the diabetes nurse. My diabetes has got much worse, my blood pressure is high, I have a UTI, blood in my urine and my cholesterol is be not good. I was doing well before I got covid. So a list of new meds to take, and a lot to take in. I am wibbling. I have managed for 9 years without meds, and now my body has thrown in the towel. I am now googling rimipril and empagliflozin, as these are the meds my DN recommends. I can't take Metformin. Anyone with experience of these please feel free to share your experiences.
Ramipril is for high blood pressure and whilst I haven't taken it I did get prescribed Lisinopril once - not good - made me cough especially in the night when I kept waking up.

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Spoke to DN by phone today. The conversation lasted a whole 4 mins!!! She had no suggestion of an alternative blood pressure meds to take instead of ramapril. Couldnt explain why, when my BS have fluctuated between 51 and 44 for 8 years she now wants me to take empagliflozin with a HbA1c of 52, and say for me to get a blood pressure monitor, and phone her with the average daily results in 3 months time, and maybe I can have another HbA1c then.

You couldnt make this up!!!

Meanwhile, I had a cheese sandwich with two slices of home made wholemeal bread. Before it was 8.3, 2 hours after it was 7.3, another hour later I was 6.

Maybe I am having random liver dumps??????
@lucylocket61 it looks as though you are getting back to your normal BS slowly but surely without medication. Re the BP pills it may be worth talking to your GP about changing them rather than your DN.