Panic! Panic! Panic!

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I think a lot of people are used to the idea of 'feeling full' - as a long time dieter and low carber it is not something I have had to adapt from, and I am just relieved to be back in the no more hunger situation.
I find that the type two diet of meat, fish and seafood, eggs, cheese, etc. is very nourishing, so small meals keep me from being hungry for 12 hours at a time. I have definitely regained muscle, even at almost 70 years old, as I have gone back to work servicing knitting machines, and I can move my own machines around as I did decades ago.

Reactions: Pura Vida

maltham 2

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hello John.

As others have said - don't panic!

I was diagnosed T2 exactly 3 years ago and my local surgery gave me GlucoRx Nexus blood glucose testing kit and a few test strips. At the time my HbA1c was 94 and my blood glucose level 23.5!!. I asked if that was bad - not knowing anything about the problem.

Determined to understand more I read widely to understand the problem and used the Nexus to understand which foods exacerbated the problem and which ones were OK.

So out go the baddies: carbs and starchy food and are replaced with "compatible" foods e.g.Butternut Squash in place of spuds. Long walks are positive as is any activity.

So far I haven't had to take any meds. The HbA1c dropped to 46 and most times my blood glucose levels are between 5 and 7. In fact so much of the time I now only test first thing in the morning because daytime results were always normal.

A glucoRx Nexus costs about £12 and the same for a packet of strips. If you order direct from GlucoRx you can get a VAT free price. Alternatively there are plenty of sellers on eBay that sell at under £10 for a pack of strips.

As noted: Don't panic - learn to live with it and control it you should be OK.

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
The way this has been handled has left me very angry and stressed. To be told i need insulin then just left with no meds at all is worrying to say the least . I have no idea what my glucose levels are at present and my eyesight is ever so slightly out of focus.
Tell your doctors that you need an emergency appointment, if necessary apologise that you missed the appointment - apologising and explaining why can often win people round even if it shouldn't be needed.
As a Type 1 you 100% need your medication and a testing meter and strips

John Mckay

Tell your doctors that you need an emergency appointment, if necessary apologise that you missed the appointment - apologising and explaining why can often win people round even if it shouldn't be needed.
As a Type 1 you 100% need your medication and a testing meter and strips
I didnt miss the appointment they messed it up at their end by telling me it was a phone call appointment when it was actually a face to face one!!

Rokaab

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I didnt miss the appointment they messed it up at their end!
I know, but apologising that you missed it and explaining why can help even if it was their fault entirely, it often will make them more likely to want to help you

John Mckay

One month on and ive been seen by the diabetes team at the Churchill Hospital in Osford. No more Anogliptin or Metformin.
Levimir injection when i get up and another before bed. Test my glucose levels before breakfast,lunch,dinner and just befor bed.
Levels have been steady between 6.3 and 8.2 since i started the insulin.
I dont have to lose anymore weight and been advised to eat more carbs than i eat at present as they think im not eating enough.
Looks like i'll be put on NovoRapid insulin at some point as well.
The positives are im finding the testing and injecting isnt bad at all and im feeling really well.
Food choices are becoming a bit easier as well but im sure ill have highs and lows along the way.
The main thing is im on the right track now.
Merry Christmas and a safe New Year to you all and thanks for the advice its very much appreciated.