Cholesterol

Evie-D

So I just had a hba1c blood test after a year since coming off all medication and it has remained at 40. I was offered a statin last year which I refused but no one argued too much as I was apparently border line at 6.6 total and 4.8 % (whatever that is - threshold apparently 5). Just spoken to the nurse who informs me numbers down to 6.4 and 3.9%. And was fine until I told her I followed a LCHF diet. She said I couldn’t possibly be eating a lot of saturated fat as my cholesterol would be through the roof and told me to google that to confirm. I definitely am eating a high saturated fat low carb diet ( cheese, meat, cream etc) and if it didn’t work why had the figures improved?

Am I right? I refused the statin offered last year and Gp doesn’t have an issue with that

Resurgam

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I think that a lot of HCPs suffer from the same thing - disbelief in something which goes against the accepted wisdom.
I also suspect that forcing down the level of cholesterol, often to ridiculously low number - (because that has to be good, doesn't it?) means that the process which use cholesterol are badly affected.
I know that Atorvastatin really affected my brain, and I am just so thankful that I recovered my ability to learn, and have even recovered some 'lost' memories.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
So I just had a hba1c blood test after a year since coming off all medication and it has remained at 40. I was offered a statin last year which I refused but no one argued too much as I was apparently border line at 6.6 total and 4.8 % (whatever that is - threshold apparently 5). Just spoken to the nurse who informs me numbers down to 6.4 and 3.9%. And was fine until I told her I followed a LCHF diet. She said I couldn’t possibly be eating a lot of saturated fat as my cholesterol would be through the roof and told me to google that to confirm. I definitely am eating a high saturated fat low carb diet ( cheese, meat, cream etc) and if it didn’t work why had the figures improved?

Am I right? I refused the statin offered last year and Gp doesn’t have an issue with that

Nursey, as usual, is talking complete nonsense.

Your LCHF diet will be great for your T2 and your cholesterol will do what cholesterol does .
Did you have a full lipid panel? It would be good to see the full results.

Reactions: Evie-D

Bluetit1802

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Please don't worry. Your nurse is misguided. Our liver makes our cholesterol as and when it is needed - and it is needed for many, many things as every cell in the body needs it. Only about 15% or less comes from the food we eat. There are many of us on this forum that can testify to reduced cholesterol and lipids through eating a low carb high fat diet. I am one of them.

What is apparent from your post is that you are not understanding your results, and maybe have never seen the lab reports. These tell you not only your total cholesterol but also the breakdown of how it is made up (LDL/HDL/Triglycerides). It isn't wise to accept a verbal comment. You need to see the report, and you are entitled to have a print out if you ask at reception. If you are in England you may also be able to see all your blood test results on-line but you need to register for this service at your surgery.

Evie-D

Your LCHF diet will be great for your T2 and your cholesterol will do what cholesterol does .

I believe that was requested but not received.

Evie-D

Please don't worry. Your nurse is misguided. Our liver makes our cholesterol as and when it is needed - and it is needed for many, many things as every cell in the body needs it. Only about 15% or less comes from the food we eat. There are many of us on this forum that can testify to reduced cholesterol and lipids through eating a low carb high fat diet. I am one of them.

What is apparent from your post is that you are not understanding your results, and maybe have never seen the lab reports. These tell you not only your total cholesterol but also the breakdown of how it is made up (LDL/HDL/Triglycerides). It isn't wise to accept a verbal comment. You need to see the report, and you are entitled to have a print out if you ask at reception. If you are in England you may also be able to see all your blood test results on-line but you need to register for this service at your surgery.

They didn’t have the triglycerides number. I’ve only ever had that once. I did a fasting blood test and asked for full cholesterol readings but the two numbers quoted was all I got with a ‘no need for follow up’

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
More disinformation. My Lipid Consultant (who wasn't that great and wanted me to go on statins, HDL 2.4, trigs 0.5 and LDL 4), did actually say what you eat makes barely any difference and even if you eat less cholesterol your body will make more of its own to compensate. That seemed to be his reason for statins actually as in ONLY they could reduce it.

Evie-D

More disinformation. My Lipid Consultant (who wasn't that great and wanted me to go on statins, HDL 2.4, trigs 0.5 and LDL 4), did actually say what you eat makes barely any difference and even if you eat less cholesterol your body will make more of its own to compensate. That seemed to be his reason for statins actually as in ONLY they could reduce it.

The new Gp was fine - it’s the nursing staff I seem to have issue with. The nurse told me today I couldn’t possibly be eating a high (saturated) fat diet. There was quite a heated exchange and I’m the only diabetic patient in the entire practice that’s in remission. She said to keep doing what I’m doing but doesn’t believe I’m following a LCHF diet. I just said the numbers speak for themselves. Probably not my best moment

Evie-D

The LCHF diet meant I came off all medication a year ago and my Hba1c level has remained at 40 but none of the HCPs will take my word about the diet except my GP

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The new Gp was fine - it’s the nursing staff I seem to have issue with. The nurse told me today I couldn’t possibly be eating a high (saturated) fat diet. There was quite a heated exchange and I’m the only diabetic patient in the entire practice that’s in remission. She said to keep doing what I’m doing but doesn’t believe I’m following a LCHF diet. I just said the numbers speak for themselves. Probably not my best moment

A heated exchange?, you do NOT have to do anything! She can give you her advice but that's it, NO need to explain or justify yourself to her. It sounds to me like she was accusing you of being a liar!!!

hankjam

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
There was quite a heated exchange and I’m the only diabetic patient in the entire practice that’s in remission

I think I know who is doing the right thing....

Evie-D

A heated exchange?, you do NOT have to do anything! She can give you her advice but that's it, NO need to explain or justify yourself to her. It sounds to me like she was accusing you of being a liar!!!

She basically did which is why I took my position. Made me feel like I was in the wrong.

bulkbiker

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Sounds like a great moment to me.. the ignorance of some HCP's is pretty astounding.

Evie-D

Thank you Bulkbiker - I’m feeling a bit calmer. It’s amazing though how often I find I’ve to justify my position to them even though they have the results in front of them

Redshank

Type of diabetes
Prediabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
So if the facts don't fit her theory, then you must be lying about what you eat....
What possible reason could you have to lie about what you eat in this context?

MrsA2

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think it matters if she doesn't believe you.
What is important is that you know, and you know it is keeping you healthy

Mbaker

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Available fast foods in Supermarkets
You have chosen to live in the real world as opposed to the heart healthy grain matrix, good for you.

Around two thirds on a LCHF type diet either have lowered or similar cholesterol numbers. Those with higher usually don't panic, as surrogate markers indicate health.

Comparing cholesterol in a low carber to a standard or Vegan diet, is like comparing the resting heart rate an Olympic runner to a sterotypical truck driver.

Don't forget meat causes diabetes....strange how we consume more of the stuff that caused our condition. I will trust a £10.00 blood glucose meter over any GP, MD or PHD who contradicts this.

KK123

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
So if the facts don't fit her theory, then you must be lying about what you eat....
What possible reason could you have to lie about what you eat in this context?

Spot on. I had a conversation with my GP in the earlier days when I didn't know a lot (!), she said 'Your cholesterol is high, stop eating saturated fats', I said 'I barely eat any saturated fats' (notwithstanding the sat fats aren't bad anyway scenario). She then thrust a sat fats leaflet at me. I said 'I hardly eat any', she said 'You'd be surprised at what foods contain them'. Then when I was busy fuming at her she said 'Oh, looks like you don't anyway, your trigs are low'! Later when I went online to look at my records, I noticed she had put 'Leaflet issued re low fat diet'. These days I don't let them get away with patronising me.

Reactions: Evie-D and Mike d