What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.9
I don't know why it has gone up.
I have been eating all proper foods that keep it in the 6's.

I am a bit stressed over a couple of things. I know it doesn't help. A couple of hospital appointments came through. One is the eye hospital in Liverpool (England, and I live in Wales for January, and so another dawn raid for me to get over the lockdown border and evade the border police....). Also it is a late in the day appointment, parking is usually a total nightmare, and I dread it anyway. It is going to be dark, and then that nightmare coming home traffic through the tunnel. I just don't blinking want to go anyway, not just because of Covid. This appointment should have been last May '20.

But my Welsh optician a couple of months ago did all the vital tests (he had said he can do all the tests the hospital can), and said my eyes had improved (eyesight and those little black spots had gone, which they can come and go for anyone). Wales has not done any retinopathy tests this year (that had been cancelled until further notice because of Covid). My Welsh optician said I had no signs of retinopathy, and had given me a long appointment for a thorough examination, and for as many questions as I wanted answering. And also said I could go back to him any time at a moment's notice if I had any concern whatsoever.

I am now more concerned over the dark night driving (I think, yes Covid too). That was never a problem before, but with Covid travel restrictions, I am so out of practice with night time driving. I seriously want to postpone the Liverpool Eye Hospital appointment. But with me not being able to telephone personally with being deaf, I am going to have to ask a friend to do it. So I did. I got the message back "You will be OK. This is not new it is just more of the same and you have already got through a lot and have gained experience." (referring to the Wrexham Hospital experience a couple of months ago).

Not the reply I wanted. Tto be fair she is exceptionally busy at the mo, and to telephone to change things like an appointment also needs both of us on WhatsApp at the same time while she is ringing, so that I can authorise her to speak on my behalf, even though the appointment people are not in contact with me at that moment, and so she gets asked questions which I answer, and she relays to them, and then if they decide she is speaking on my behalf, then the next set of questions begin...

This can take a full morning, just to alter an appointment.

My friend will be less busy in the New Year and I will ask her again.

Anyway for my painting (spellcheck kept changing this to pain!) today is the Welsh tourist village of Portmeirion. But there are no tourists there in these Covid times. It has been used for several films, and probably most famously as "The Village" in the tv show The Prisoner in the 1960's. I remember watching it, but there were no captions or subtitles then on TV, so I had absolutely no idea what it was about (like most things I watched on TV). ITV didn't have the pamphlets like you could get from the BBC at that time which gave a paragraph or so on the programme but not the conclusion of the play or programme which I thought was stupid since these pamphlets were aimed at deaf people.

I think I might take a peek on YouTube and see if there is anything on there on The Prisoner.

I have been there as a child ( I didn't know then it was the village of Portmeirion), and I later took J a few times in the 1990's. The Prisoner was on a black and white telly, so when I took J, I was quite shocked to see all this colour.

Portmeirion...in Procreate...
View attachment 46287
Sorry you are having so much difficulty with sorting appointments, I can feel the frustration.

That's a great 'paint' job you have done on Portmeirion. Probably much better for lack of

Reactions: jjraak

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morning and 5.1 for me today.

Wet here so an indoor day, there is plenty to do according to Mrs MC.

Time won't be hanging around so use it best you can. Keep safe.

Reactions: karen8967

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Thanks Derek we are doing not so bad though I was feeling not so well for a while but OK now.

Brother Adrian's second test came back negative so he has ended his isolation but some of the others second tests were positive and some of them are quite poorly.

Keiran had two tests negative and is mow home for Christmas even though the term has not quite ended so he is doing the final part of the term online and working on his dissertation.

I hope to get out and about again soon for a walk in the park hopefully.
Sorry you have felt unwell, it's good to hear you are feeling a little better and to see you back here.

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.5 this morning. Got to catch the bus to Norwich shortly to get to my hairdressers at 10am. My last appointment was in August so I definitely need to go.

lindisfel

Expert
Good morning all, looks like the morning is going to be wet, so its probably a good time to replenish our meat supply whilst our small town is quiet and then a quick trip to Lidl tomorrow.
We are thinking that we need to reduce our exposure to an absolute minimum during the coming weeks but especially on the run up to Christmas. So its just a quick shop for food to keep our sanity by mixing with others very briefly.

Its obvious the country is in for a very difficult time where hospitals are full and they cannot treat people properly.
I feel the politicians are now playing political Russian roulette with us over the Christmas period relaxation.
Please make sure you and yours are safe.
Be careful out there!

However one does not live in fear but in eternal optimism!
Don't get down, we live in a beautiful country on a magnificent blue jewel in space and life is still a precious gift.
D.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
No excise men to come and sniff your still, eh what? :)
The Changaa (home made booze) is very popular with the locals but quite dangerous if not distilled correctly - we got the proper kit for our staff to keep them safe. There is a factory near Kampala that makes technical alcohol so if up that way we would fill a couple of Jerry cans (I know!) - you just tell them what you want (whisky, brandy, rum....) and they then add the “flavourings and colourings” to the pure clear stuff and dilute a bit. I always stuck to beer - Tusker or Nile.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A 6.0 greeted me this morning along with the rains as I gird my loins for the gift-giving safari. The up-side is that I will be travelling alone as her ladyship is entertaining her chap before he goes into xmas lockdown with his wife and kids.

@gennepher I lived over the hill from Port Meirion and Port Madoc, my favourite chip shop was there. A lovely rendition.

@Muddy Cyclist perhaps adding a seasonal version of a cornucopia would qualify as a horn? Good idea for a proper card ;)

cc.jpg

alf_Josiah

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People that point out my spelling mistakes
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who celebrate national bin day.

A 6.8 this morning on that meter of mystery and naughtiness.

My what a talented lot the posters, painters and gamers you are, now it looks like I might have to add master brewers and whiskey tasters to the list, I think I shall go and make a koffy, while contemplating how to make a still out of decking hehehehe.

Have a great day all and stay safe.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Fbg 6.9
I don't know why it has gone up.
I have been eating all proper foods that keep it in the 6's.

I am a bit stressed over a couple of things. I know it doesn't help. A couple of hospital appointments came through. One is the eye hospital in Liverpool (England, and I live in Wales for January, and so another dawn raid for me to get over the lockdown border and evade the border police....). Also it is a late in the day appointment, parking is usually a total nightmare, and I dread it anyway. It is going to be dark, and then that nightmare coming home traffic through the tunnel. I just don't blinking want to go anyway, not just because of Covid. This appointment should have been last May '20.

But my Welsh optician a couple of months ago did all the vital tests (he had said he can do all the tests the hospital can), and said my eyes had improved (eyesight and those little black spots had gone, which they can come and go for anyone). Wales has not done any retinopathy tests this year (that had been cancelled until further notice because of Covid). My Welsh optician said I had no signs of retinopathy, and had given me a long appointment for a thorough examination, and for as many questions as I wanted answering. And also said I could go back to him any time at a moment's notice if I had any concern whatsoever.

I am now more concerned over the dark night driving (I think, yes Covid too). That was never a problem before, but with Covid travel restrictions, I am so out of practice with night time driving. I seriously want to postpone the Liverpool Eye Hospital appointment. But with me not being able to telephone personally with being deaf, I am going to have to ask a friend to do it. So I did. I got the message back "You will be OK. This is not new it is just more of the same and you have already got through a lot and have gained experience." (referring to the Wrexham Hospital experience a couple of months ago).

Not the reply I wanted. Tto be fair she is exceptionally busy at the mo, and to telephone to change things like an appointment also needs both of us on WhatsApp at the same time while she is ringing, so that I can authorise her to speak on my behalf, even though the appointment people are not in contact with me at that moment, and so she gets asked questions which I answer, and she relays to them, and then if they decide she is speaking on my behalf, then the next set of questions begin...

This can take a full morning, just to alter an appointment.

My friend will be less busy in the New Year and I will ask her again.

Anyway for my painting (spellcheck kept changing this to pain!) today is the Welsh tourist village of Portmeirion. But there are no tourists there in these Covid times. It has been used for several films, and probably most famously as "The Village" in the tv show The Prisoner in the 1960's. I remember watching it, but there were no captions or subtitles then on TV, so I had absolutely no idea what it was about (like most things I watched on TV). ITV didn't have the pamphlets like you could get from the BBC at that time which gave a paragraph or so on the programme but not the conclusion of the play or programme which I thought was stupid since these pamphlets were aimed at deaf people.

I think I might take a peek on YouTube and see if there is anything on there on The Prisoner.

I have been there as a child ( I didn't know then it was the village of Portmeirion), and I later took J a few times in the 1990's. The Prisoner was on a black and white telly, so when I took J, I was quite shocked to see all this colour.

Portmeirion...in Procreate...
View attachment 46287
I read your frustration with sorting out appointments - such things that most folk take for granted.
I love this Portmeirion - even more in close up to see where trees and other parts have been blended, giving movement - quite surreal.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
A 6.0 greeted me this morning along with the rains as I gird my loins for the gift-giving safari. The up-side is that I will be travelling alone as her ladyship is entertaining her chap before he goes into xmas lockdown with his wife and kids.

@gennepher I lived over the hill from Port Meirion and Port Madoc, my favourite chip shop was there. A lovely rendition.

@Muddy Cyclist perhaps adding a seasonal version of a cornucopia would qualify as a horn? Good idea for a proper card ;)

View attachment 46288
A win for the reading but very amusing - gift-giving safari - what are the clothing requirements of a modern Magus?

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good Morening Ladies and Gentlemen and all who celebrate national bin day.

A 6.8 this morning on that meter of mystery and naughtiness.

My what a talented lot the posters, painters and gamers you are, now it looks like I might have to add master brewers and whiskey tasters to the list, I think I shall go and make a koffy, while contemplating how to make a still out of decking hehehehe.

Have a great day all and stay safe.
I am certain that many parts of a still can be made out of decking - apart, of course from the pot - oh, and the coil, and the other bits. Decking does make for a good fire though. Easiest to join our secret whisky and silent wife club.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
A win for the reading but very amusing - gift-giving safari - what are the clothing requirements of a modern Magus?

Today I will be mostly in a hoody and mask. I've been told it's last years 'thugee' but this years 'sweet thang'. I have resprayed the sleigh in camo-grey in the hope the cameras don't see me :oldman::doctor:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I read your frustration with sorting out appointments - such things that most folk take for granted.
I love this Portmeirion - even more in close up to see where trees and other parts have been blended, giving movement - quite surreal.

Thank you @dunelm

It is a magical place (when no tourists are there!).

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from a damp and blustery bin day in the dark and dangerous north

The wonder wheel of proper thick slices of bacon and big bangers than Mrs Miggins snaffled from a farm shop came in at 4.9 this am

No grandchildren today. That’s OK - yesterday’s new games; “I can do zips”, “let’s organise grandmothers handbag” and “pass the purse” were utterly exhausting.
An extra flu clinic is being run on 19th at the GP surgery and Covid-19 vaccinations are due to start week beginning Monday 28th. They will be carefully time slotted and with a one way system thought the building.
Todays picture is on another piece of my sample paper - this time hemp, about 6” by 4” - the texture of the paper is quite rough but visually pleasing - I did wonder if was worth trying to smoke :). Hope everyone has a marvelous Mitwoch. More koffy Jeaves.
upload_2020-12-16_9-6-52.jpeg

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Hugs for @gennepher - scheduling that appointment and general stress- and @karen8967. Winners for @Muddy Cyclist on a top hole fbg and @Alien Aspie on the humour you display. My, but Her Ladyship does seem to be an all round dissolute pooh show. @dunelm young @alf_Josiah could well join the top secret mission but I doubt Mrs AJ would acquiesce in the being quiet requirement. So, I am in danger of either a total failure or a Desmond at best on Applied LCHF with Swipeology. Fbg @ 5.17 was 3 by 5.37 it was 6.7 then allegedly settled to 5.5 @ 6.30. Tempted to think sensor is delinquent but I also find LCHF batpooh crazy. @Krystyna23040 take care in Narrich Look East reported concerns about spikes in cases there - easy to believe in mutations, very NFN:angelic: . BTW, what the ? are Basildon and Harlow doing in East Anglia? Good luck with the meat run @lindisfel. Yes, we are being led by the Blue Team 5th X1 captained by the pub bore - all the gear, no idea. Ist X1 playing away this season - very successfully touring New Zealand last I heard.

Last edited:

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you @dunelm

It is a magical place (when no tourists are there!).

Have you travelled to artist valley just up the road? The whisky gang friend we lost lived up there, many a fine time sitting around the fire pit drinking and telling stories. As well as being a physicist he was a great author and poet. Of all the losses in my life, his was the hardest.

We met at a conference in London, he was talking about membrane theory in string theory and I was talking about consciousness in a holographic universe. He was my greatest critic and dearest friend and a perfect example of synchronicity. He never forgot that CNN televised my bit and ignored him claiming that I had friends 'on the inside'. He was such a perfect scouser. :)

My, but Her Ladyship does seem to be an all round dissolute pooh show.

Agreed, I am no angel but there are paths I never trod.