Protein and levels

sugarbusta

Hello all!

First ever post to the forum. Diagnosed with T1D in 2015 aged 21.

Levemir twice daily, FIASP for bolus - 1:1 insulin carb ratio.

Stumbled across discussions on the forum on protein and its impact on BS...

Had dinner last night, x2 homemade enchiladas (low fat, high protein) containing chicken, black beans, peppers - used white wraps to keep things simple on the carb front - plus avo, lettuce, and cucumber. Dealt with carbs (60g, 6 units) using a 20min pre-shot. For the next four hours, I was consistently at 12-14 (and 17 at the highest point!). I had to use 3 correction shots to bring it down in the early hours of the morning.

Test
: ate exactly the same meal for lunch (same 6 unit 20min pre-shot), only this time 30min after eating, I also shot up 4 units of FIASP (using the formula 0.56 x 'protein weight').

For the next 5 hours, my BS levels were between 4.5-5.5 (I'm on the Libre), though did dip at one point an hour after that 30min post-prandial shot into a 3.8, which I bumped a little just enough to keep the test running.

Ideally need to replicate this test with the same meal another day (and with different protein types) to assess protein's impact on my levels.

I think the FIASP deals marvellously with pure carbs (e.g. the white wraps). However, I feel it is too fast to adequately match for the gradual conversion of 0.56 protein weight into glucose.

In the next test, I'll replicate the meal, try reducing the units to 3, and inject 45min after eating instead of 30min. Failing this, I'd like to try NovoRapid for the protein for a slightly slower action.

Thoughts? You think this post is too long? You're right there.

Last edited:

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The thing is protein is thought to effect levels more in the absence of carbs rather than when included with carbs, I have quite a lot of protein in my evening meal at least 3 nights a week with a mozzarella and prawn omelette and chicken breast stuffed with mozzarella etc but the protein has no impact as I have carbs in the form of potatoes, whereas in the absence of carbs it probably would have an impact, I wouldn't base anything on just one meal one time xx

Reactions: ert

sugarbusta

Thanks for your reflections on your experience.

This seems to conflict with the process I am currently trying and current studies on the way protein is broken down in the body and absorbed over time. There's also a lot of discussion on the forum that suggests a lot of T1D diabetics see a rise from carb+protein meals, rather than standalone protein meals. We are all different, of course.

The thing is, I have repeated this with different meals (containing both carbs and protein), and I have injected for the protein content using the above formula. It seems to work by keeping my levels within my desired range (4-6.5), which would otherwise push me beyond this limit.

I've yet to try a carb-free protein heavy meal since trying this. I'll update on what I find.

diaBeeGees

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Are you definitely accounting for all the carbs? Black beans, avocados, and bell peppers all contain not insignificant levels of carbohydrate:

• Half an avocado: 10g
  • Half a tin of black beans (Tesco): 18g
  • One bell pepper: 10g
That would give the 4 units you're injecting 30 minutes later.

A lot of types of beans contain a surprising amount of carbohydrate. They're high in protein, but that doesn't mean they're low in sugar.

Reactions: kaylz91

kaylz91

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Last night I had a protein rich meal, my large chicken breast stuffed with a ton of mozzarella and wrapped in prosciutto, I had baby potatoes, a ton of roasted sprouts and a square of dark chocolate totalling 30g carbs so 3 units for me on a 1:10g, there was no rise from the amount of protein for me as you can see
Screenshot_20201216-191045.jpg
Screenshot_20201216-191019.jpg
Screenshot_20201216-191028.jpg
Screenshot_20201216-191033.jpg

TypeZero.

I don’t bolus for protein, as someone mentioned on here, bolusing for protein is mainly when you don’t eat enough carbs. Whenever I eat protein I have some sort of carbs whether that’s vegetables or bread so I’m fine regarding that.

sugarbusta

All carbohydrates are accounted for, including in pulses and so on.

Thanks again for your input!

I'll continue to experiment, but I am seeing a rise with larger amounts of protein, even when combined with a moderately carb-y meal (30-40g).