Set change day spikes

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello folks, each time I change a set my BS rises quite dramatically I’ve set temp basels for 110% for several hours around the change but if I do it after tea I’ll be high all night. It’s not always practical for me to change in the mornings so I just wondered if anyone has any tips on bedding the new cannulas in?

porl69

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Stupid people
@Nometype1andproud how high is it going? I used to have the same problem when I first started pumping. I used to give myself a single unit just before I changed the set. The last 6 months have been ok with set changes, BGs been very good.
Got to ask.....are you rotating your sites?

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Yes have to use totally different areas as get raised itchy lump on the last day of use so go to the other side of the abdo for the next one in turn

Reactions: porl69

himtoo

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
mean people , gardening , dishonest people , and war.
why can't everyone get on........
i used to experience this with pod changes ...now i always give myself a small bolus on the old pod before changing and run a temporary basal rate of +40% for 2 to 3 hours on the new pod and i have been able to keep fully in range following a change

Reactions: Juicyj

asa35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello folks, each time I change a set my BS rises quite dramatically I’ve set temp basels for 110% for several hours around the change but if I do it after tea I’ll be high all night. It’s not always practical for me to change in the mornings so I just wondered if anyone has any tips on bedding the new cannulas in?
Hi Nometype1andproud did you get any answers with your problem? I get similar problems, I change early evening, after dinner, but through night my readings hit the late teens or occasionally 20 BG, not coming back down till morning. I also rotate sites. I've been on pump 4 years now, but this only started in last 6 months approx. I've no idea what to do, but it's not with every set change either, maybe 1 in 3 or 4.

Nometype1andproud

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi no still have the same issue had it last night took me nearly a full day to sort it out I just seem to become really insulin resistant if I go above 15 it’s making me re think the pump to have to keep going through this every set change. My dsn just said try and change it mid morning so I’m awake to monitor but it makes no difference

MandyJean

Hi no still have the same issue had it last night took me nearly a full day to sort it out I just seem to become really insulin resistant if I go above 15 it’s making me re think the pump to have to keep going through this every set change. My dsn just said try and change it mid morning so I’m awake to monitor but it makes no difference
Hi, just a thought, I am insulin resistant on left side of stomach and have experienced the same issues. I am using top of my arms now, never used before and apart from tubing being a pain it's ok. When you remove canulars are the underskin insertion tube ok. I was getting a lot of bent ones which messed up absorption. Good luck with problem. Mandy

MinaRotter

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What pump/insulin you on? Are you priming cannula with correct amount of insulin after insertion?