What was your fasting blood glucose? (full on chat)

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
5.8 this morning. Chilly dog walk and now am going to relax, read and drink coffee.
I had a chilly dog once - just out of curiosity - one of those vendors just outside the gates of Central Park by Columbus Circle - absolutely disgusting - how do those actors in American cop films keep a straight face?

True Blue

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Morning all.
Was it Einstein who said that the definition of madness is to repeat the same behaviour while expecting a different result? Lots of beer + Asda's very fine fresh pasta = a stonking 8.7 mmo/lt FBG at 0615 hrs.
Where is the Type 2 magic fairy when you need her?
Off to wash bird poo off my boat's deck as penance.

dunelm

Master
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Morning all.
Was it Einstein who said that the definition of madness is to repeat the same behaviour while expecting a different result? Lots of beer + Asda's very fine fresh pasta = a stonking 8.7 mmo/lt FBG at 0615 hrs.
Where is the Type 2 magic fairy when you need her?
Off to wash bird poo off my boat's deck as penance.
I know it’s really naughty but in the morning I can purchase an indulgence - won’t reduce the severity of your punishment mind.

UserABC2021

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
There is a very small number of scientists in the world that I can say I am a big, long term, 'fanboy' of. Today I found out that my personal top two had met up and exchanged ideas, I never knew!

The result is fascinating (to me) and some here might enjoy this engagement.

Enjoy :)

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The Lawn Tennis Assoc asked me at short notice to cover a tournament running from Sunday for 4 days. It isn't much money but it is at least something to add to the summer writing pot to ration out monthly while I try and find another job. Not that she knows anything of my own recent issues because she is not in a place to hear anything else. So... yeah.

Congratulations on Lawn Tennis Association 4 day job @RFSMarch

Last edited:

gennepher

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
@gennepher - hugs for the Wales impositions and midnight posty - smashing striding edge rendition from you - great use of light - wear correct footwear and don’t slip.

Painting today - a few waterbirds from the park, joining up some of the splodges on my backing paper where I wipe and dry my brushes. Hope everyone has as good a Thursday as you can - if not, pretend it’s a better one. Koffy on - again.

View attachment 46312

Thank you @dunelm for painting compliments.
I still don't understand the midnight posty...

I love those three birds...beautiful!

Krystyna23040

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I had a chilly dog once - just out of curiosity - one of those vendors just outside the gates of Central Park by Columbus Circle - absolutely disgusting - how do those actors in American cop films keep a straight face?
I really struggle with chilli and am always amazed that anyone can eat anything with lots of chilli in it.
My own chilly dog has spent the morning curled up against a radiator. We used to worry that he was cooking his back against the radiator but after 14 years of spending his winters against a radiator we decided that it wasn't doing him any harm.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You would never think I write for a living!

Yeah re: not offering solutions and I know that her mate is a 'solution' kinda gal, which drives depressed friend nuts! I tend to go for the "reach out when you feel ready to talk" approach... but yeah... she usually comes round with a grudging sort of 'sorry for ranting' but this was next level 'how DARE you spend time with your family when I don't want to see mine'... It is hard though ... she will absolutely not compromise. It is either eat and drink outside or nothing at all. I HATE eating and drinking outside in the summer, much less in the middle of winter or driving rain as we have had around these parts for the last couple of days.

All I can do is message again in a couple of weeks - all the while having to deal with my own demons of despair of 'will I ever work again' so... I think I'm going to keep my head down. The Lawn Tennis Assoc asked me at short notice to cover a tournament running from Sunday for 4 days. It isn't much money but it is at least something to add to the summer writing pot to ration out monthly while I try and find another job. Not that she knows anything of my own recent issues because she is not in a place to hear anything else. So... yeah.
Some good news regarding some work. Hang in there with friend, avoid conflict, look after your own sanity.

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Good morning everyone from quite a smart, bright morning here in the dark and dangerous north
The wonder wheel of butchers best bangers and celeriac mash with a thick onion gravy (should have paid more attention in school) came in at 5.2 this am - I blame the sautéed cabbage. So nice though of our local butcher to do bangers containing only meat and a few herbs - he calls them glutton free - I call them carb free.

@gennepher - hugs for the Wales impositions and midnight posty - smashing striding edge rendition from you - great use of light - wear correct footwear and don’t slip.

@jjraak - tier 3 back at ye and congrats on for being on the job. Thanks for the heads up on magnesium.

@lindisfel - I love Lidl. We used to call it “shopping surprise” in the 80’s - not quite knowing what you had bought until you got it home and opened it.

@RFSMarch - walking the tightrope of depressed friend - very tricky - no net and no amount of pirouetting will get you applause. Just listening - difficult for you - best for her. Don’t take the angry outpourings personally - shields up and think about how crunchy those puff pastry mince pies are. You already know that you can’t fix her and not to offer advice. Pretty sure that as she yo-yo’s up from the depths, she values you being there. Take care of yourself - your own energy is important. Congrats on being asked to cover the tournament.

Painting today - a few waterbirds from the park, joining up some of the splodges on my backing paper where I wipe and dry my brushes. Hope everyone has as good a Thursday as you can - if not, pretend it’s a better one. Koffy on - again.

View attachment 46312
Very nice birds, you must manage a very tidy wipe brushes, splodge piece of paper, mine could only ever be turned into a very muddy abstract. :)

Reactions: dunelm

JohnEGreen

Master
Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Tripe and Onions
@Alien Aspie heck I watched the whole thing right through when all I meant to do was report an fbg of 5.5 this morning what ever that means in our interface.

lindisfel

Expert
Wow. Your depressed friend certainly does seem needy but then I guess that is very much par for the course. Mice pies? If leaving the reservation at least go somewhere with an exotic sounding name like Pannetone. I book a ticket for there every year, mince pies are so passe- even Heston's wiv pine scent or whatevs. Julie has a friend who suffers badly with depression. Long phone talks and some stay overs. Only practical advice I have is listen but don't try to offer solutions. Good to see you here. Take care.Mince pies?:arghh:
Edit: Mince pies, obs
The duchess made a load of mince pies the other day, got tired and said she had needed to use the mincemeat. I said, "Well, you didn't need to buy the mincemeat!" She quickly replied I told her to!
There's no answer to the duchess, I just pretend to take my punishment like a wimp.

So just to be social I had a mince pie with her this lunch time, heated in the microwave with lashings of Greek yoghurt.
It was very tasty, I could use to being more social.:)
D.

Reactions: UserABC2021

lindisfel

Expert
Sprouts on the plate is not an issue. Sprouts making their exit in gaseous form hours later are the issue - especially when teamed with garlic. 90.9 YO MIL will be here for a few days over Christmas. Old lady, sprouts - lethal mixture.
Don't worry you can always save her blushes by blaming the dogs.

ianpspurs

Oracle
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Not sure if this is a spoof text from Suffolk Police:

Gentlemen, please ensure you are indoors and all curtains and blackout blinds are fully closed when roasting your chestnuts on an open fire.

I fear for your neighbours @alf_Josiah if you haven't put the proper measures in place in a more genteel area such as Tilehurst. Our Friends in The North probably do such things in the town square - men as well.

Last edited:

Muddy Cyclist

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Great 3 hour Muddy Cycle ride, cracking day...
IMG_4261.JPG

Me, yes I know I do look like the shadow of my former self but I have a rucksack on my back and honest I am only 11stone 10lbs.
IMG_4264.JPG

And the season changed so the fishing dummy I often pass is now Santa and his helpers. :)

I have painted more pages for my illustrated story for my Granddaughter, about Time. This one is the Oak Wood trees that have wisdom and decide to do something about Time....A5 watercolour this page took about 15 minutes....
IMG_4263.JPG

Reactions: karen8967