Getting a flu jab

TwoRivers

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Obesity.
My OH is the one with health problems and I think that because the wife got hers then, and they really don't know what RH is really about, the nurse suggested that I should have it!

I had a Quince (severe tonsilitis!) In my late twenties and it took three months of full strength antibiotics for it to clear up, the first day I collapsed with a high fever and I couldn't get out of bed for nearly a week, not that I was aware of anything, my doctor came to me, (wouldn't happen now!) I had three weeks off work and I was continually vomiting from both ends. I was having coolish baths every day. Couldn't eat for about ten days, just some diahorlite to keep my salts up. Plenty of water and so on.

I had a flu about twenty years ago just before I retired the first time, it layed me out over a couple of days.
I would have to say that if it had been five years later, it probably would have seen me off.

My grandson was in hospital for three days last week and is still recovering and needs more investigations when he is better.

Don't take flu lightly. I struggle to keep my blood glucose levels in normal range when I'm not well.

Stay safe.

"It's the carbs." For me those words should be written in giant letters. Since going low carb and losing over 25 kilos, I have been in remission. But any carbs above 50-60g a day send the scales spinning upwards. I love cheese biscuits and bread and succumb occasionally, repenting at leisure over the following week as I crawl back down to my previous levels. I need about 1000 calories a day and limited carbs. But on that I have greatly improved health and quality of life, far better than ten years ago, despite advancing age. (But yes, I do miss the wine, bread, biscuits etc. If only....)

Tedrick69

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
religious extremism
You don’t have to have a flu jab it’s entirely up to you. I have never had a flu and been diabetic over 20 years!
I'm kind of the same attitude, Sarah. I've been Type 2 for 15 years and had the flu virus only 2/3 times. The last time I had flu was before I even acquired T2D.

Andy V

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well clearly no one is forcing anyone to have it, but it’s more about the fact that being diabetic means flu is a greater impact onto you than if you weren’t.

I don’t understand your argument I’m afraid

I'm with Andy. Type 1 diabetic of 50 years. Well controlled. Have caught flue twice in life. Very bad. Better o err on side of caution and have flu jab. And in case it's part of the discussion...there is absolutely no evidence, reason or cause to suspect the flu jab. Just in case there are any out there entertaining the conspiracy approach, let it go, opt for good health.

Hamfanjan

It seems flu has been trumped by the new boy in town this year judging by flu levels ... Doesn't mean you shouldn't have the jab if you are vulnerable e.g. age and diabetes. It is a personal decision and you may want to consider your general health too e.g. how are your blood sugars, how well do you cope with colds/chesty virus things?
I think the pneumonia jab only goes to the over 70s but stand to be corrected.

Pneumonia vaccine is offered to 65yrs and over. 2 -64 yrs if particular underlying health conditions.

Hamfanjan

I am also three years in remission but would never go without the flu vaccine. It isn't 100% guaranteed by the way. 70% I seem to recall. But with no side effects and no flu, why go without it? Before I started getting it annually, I skipped flu most years but would get it badly one year in four or one year in five. Unpleasant memories, Why on earth go without the vaccine?

Flu vaccine is less than 50% effective. Often being said when the Pfizer covid vaccine first ready and said to be 95% effective.
People don't have vaccines for different reasons. I don mean the anti vax lot. But people like myself who react not well to most drugs. I have ME and always been advised not to have it. I can't even tolerate mild pain killers like paracetamol. my partner has type 1 and has flu vaccine every year. BUT this year not so far. Only a drive through at a church a fair distance away. We have no transport. He has been told to go to a pharmacy then. He hasn't been out since March. I am housebound all, the time anyway.