Newly Diagnosed - Do I need to know what type I am?

Debandez

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Quick update...bloods in single figures all day today apart from 2 hrs after lunch when it went from 8 to 10 briefly but 6k steps got it back down to 7!

Feel so much better without running at 12 - 15 all day and loving LC eating!

Fingers crossed levels continue to improve until I see the nurse end of next week so I can proudly show her my improved readings without the use of meds!

Thank you all again for giving me the confidence to try to heal myself x

Brilliant news. You could pop your readings into the mysugr app to give you an estimated hba1c too.

I had exactly the same experience as you with my DN 3 years ago then found this forum thankfully. I declined metformin and statins and went low carb. My a1c came down quickly. Never looked back.

JoKalsbeek

Expert
Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Quick update...bloods in single figures all day today apart from 2 hrs after lunch when it went from 8 to 10 briefly but 6k steps got it back down to 7!

Feel so much better without running at 12 - 15 all day and loving LC eating!

Fingers crossed levels continue to improve until I see the nurse end of next week so I can proudly show her my improved readings without the use of meds!

Thank you all again for giving me the confidence to try to heal myself x
She'll shrug them off, or she'll drop off her chair in amazement, or say your meter must be faulty. Or anything in between. ;) Whatever the response, I just hope that YOU know that you're kicking diabetes' ***!

Reactions: ziggy_w

Caroline2688

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Brilliant news. You could pop your readings into the mysugr app to give you an estimated hba1c too.

I had exactly the same experience as you with my DN 3 years ago then found this forum thankfully. I declined metformin and statins and went low carb. My a1c came down quickly. Never looked back.

Oh thanks I'll have a look for that and get them popped in!

7.9 this morning, so chuffed

Caroline2688

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
She'll shrug them off, or she'll drop off her chair in amazement, or say your meter must be faulty. Or anything in between. ;) Whatever the response, I just hope that YOU know that you're kicking diabetes' ***!

Yep and all whilst rolling her eyes and tutting too no doubt but I'm prepared for her this time and feeling ready to take her on!

I feel better, so much better, bloods are lower so proof is in the not to be eaten pudding I guess! Seeing those single figures is so motivating.

Caroline2688

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quick update - hba1c after 3 months of low carb diet has reduced from 78 to 58 - is this good? could it be better?

I am finding that my bloods are higher than they should be, even after long periods of no food whatsoever. Today for example I was 9.5 at 4pm after not having eaten since 9pm last night, a significant period of no food and still not great reading. And this is a daily occurrence - it's rare that bloods are under 8 before meals, like never! I have little appetite (not like me at all!) and easily do 13 hours fasting most days without even thinking about food and bloods are rarely below 8, mostly 8-10 or even higher with no food whatsoever on board.

Is this normal? It doesn't feel normal (or fair) that eating so little food and eating very low carb that my bloods are still not playing ball most days. I try and walk most days, usually 5k to 10k steps daily, but some days I am just utterly exhausted. I've lost 24lbs since 1st January. I'm not sure where I am going wrong but something definitely doesn't feel right. Oh and just to really tick me off I've developed tinnitus too! Feel so fed up as trying so hard and not getting very far, but really really don't want to cave in and take the meds. Any advice please? I'd be really grateful for any feedback or advice. Thanks so much in advance.

Last edited:

TriciaWs

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Yes it matters. Some GP surgeries are not up-to-date on later onset T1 or 1.5.
As for meds - that is your choice. I told my GP I wanted to try low carb first and he agreed but the first time I saw his nurse she assumed he'd forgotten to write up both metformin and a statin.
By 3 mths I clearly didn't need either. I still had a residual fasting rise but that also resolved as I cut carbs a little more.

The dietician wouldn't agree that low carb was the best way even when I showed her my blood test results - telling me I wasn't eating enough carbs, that I needed bread & cereals for fibre and that I shouldn't be testing my blood myself. I saw her once to keep them quiet and rejected a follow-up.
The nurse was so impressed with my test results she followed up on the information I'd presented the first time.

BTW - as I eat more green veg then I used to plus flaxseed and chia seeds my fibre intake is fine.

Caroline2688

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you for your reply. The header is perhaps out of date, the "does it matter" bit was addressed earlier in the thread, I just posted an update on here as wasn't sure where it should be posted and keeps replies together.

Any ideas as to why my bloods are running high on relatively little to no food most days? I really don't want to take the meds but can't see where I am going wrong in trying to keep bloods low with diet and exercise and still running 8+ most of the time.

Reactions: jjraak

VashtiB

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
Some people find that after waking their levels don't go down for a while. I find that if I have something at lunchish time with no or very low carbs that helps my levels come down, I think @Resurgam has a similar experience maybe.

So maybe try eating something and see what that does. Worthwhile trying before meds I think.

Reactions: Caroline2688

jjraak

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Quick update - hba1c after 3 months of low carb diet has reduced from 78 to 58 - is this good? could it be better?

I am finding that my bloods are higher than they should be, even after long periods of no food whatsoever. Today for example I was 9.5 at 4pm after not having eaten since 9pm last night, a significant period of no food and still not great reading. And this is a daily occurrence - it's rare that bloods are under 8 before meals, like never! I

Hi @Caroline2688

Dreadful experience from the nurse.

Mine is better behaved, but it's still hard to have an Honest conversation.
hopefully that improves over time.

as a few point out, the help and encouragement isn't always as it should be..

as for BG's..it's good to be aware, and check all is ok

But when i struggled i took another viewpoint

i took a step back, & let some of that pressure off.

it's after all a marathon not a sprint.

perhaps you are like many, not able to get the numbers down as quickly as some.
perhaps other ailments, a lack of mobility OR just a different chemistry, who knows

I got disheartened my numbers came down slower then others,
but i carried on and they made it to 40 from 57 in 8 months, so there is hope.

as for the fasting V Bgs levels
reading so many others tales, a recurring theme was no food made BG go up,
weird huh.

Many have something, like a piece of cheese, to stave of the DP
maybe that might help you.

i remember, that when i was finding this hard, i reminded myself, that it took me many decades to get to T2d levels
so a few extra months was small change in the grand scheme of things

we are but a large vat of Glucose, (stuffed into every cavity it seems,)
with more bubbling up each day.

Our task is to lower the carbs coming in, as we drain the vat inside
we are however up against a wily foe.

Our own bodies, who can be reluctant to accept we mean it no harm,
before it stops doing it's thing and settles down to our new regime.

and as your finding out, the balancing act of our bodies reaction to our good intentions
makes those marble in the hole board games seem like Childs play

take care,
i know you got this.

Last edited:

Daphne917

Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only
I find that if I don’t have breakfast my BS goes up. In the past 3 years I’ve had 4 general anaesthetics and, whilst my BS is usually between 4.5 and 5.6, when they test it at the hospital after having no food for approx 9 hours, it’s always in the mid-high 6s - could be stress playing a part there as well though!!

ziggy_w

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi @Caroline2688,

First of all congrats on the 20 point drop in your HbA1c -- certainly a testament to all your hard work.

Als, hugs for the stubbornly higher than desired blood sugars. This must really be frustrating, working so hard and not seeing the results you want. I honestly empathize.

Personally, if it were me I would pursue the possibility of Type 1 a bit further. Could you maybe et a referral to an endocinologist? (Even though based on your now much lower Hba1c, this might not be easy.) Given all your hard work, fasting and exercise, my feeling is that most of us Type 2s would have seen a bit lower levels by now. Please continue to keep an eye on your blood sugar levels and if they start rising again (while still on this regime), this might be a sign that you might be indeed Type 1 rther than Type 2.

KennyA

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 2 (in remission!)
Treatment type
Diet only

I am finding that my bloods are higher than they should be, even after long periods of no food whatsoever. Today for example I was 9.5 at 4pm after not having eaten since 9pm last night, a significant period of no food and still not great reading. And this is a daily occurrence - it's rare that bloods are under 8 before meals, like never! I have little appetite (not like me at all!) and easily do 13 hours fasting most days without even thinking about food and bloods are rarely below 8, mostly 8-10 or even higher with no food whatsoever on board.

Is this normal? It doesn't feel normal (or fair) that eating so little food and eating very low carb that my bloods are still not playing ball most days. I try and walk most days, usually 5k to 10k steps daily, but some days I am just utterly exhausted. I've lost 24lbs since 1st January. I'm not sure where I am going wrong but something definitely doesn't feel right. Oh and just to really tick me off I've developed tinnitus too! Feel so fed up as trying so hard and not getting very far, but really really don't want to cave in and take the meds. Any advice please? I'd be really grateful for any feedback or advice. Thanks so much in advance.
Well done on the significant reduction. Keep it up and you will see further results. I have been in "normal BG territory" for almost a year and my morning and fasting readings only just began to come down in the last few weeks. It can take a while.

searley

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Diabetes, not having Jaffa Cake
Yes you want to know…. You are probably type 2

But in my experience t1’s and t2’s get treated differently (clinically speaking) and have access to different services and training

Many t2’s can control it with just diet. A t1 can not

If you are over 35 with a bmi more than 25 then this tips the scales towards t2 but this is not definitive

If it was me I’d want to know

Caroline2688

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thank you all for your extremely helpful and reassuring comments, I've given my head and my mindset a shake and will soldier on as was for now. I'm still not eating until about 1pm each day as just not hungry at all, rarely ever feel hungry nowadays! I'm upping my exercise a bit more too now that the days are longer and hopefully that will help to push me more in the right direction. Thanks again everyone, very much appreciated.

Reactions: VashtiB and jjraak

Teaforme

I came across your thread as I am waiting for confirmation whether I am type 1 or type 2.
I requested a blood sugar test at the GP’s at the beginning of March due to blurred vision, constantly thirsty and having to wake up several times a night to pee. Hba1c came back at 85. As I am fat (14 stone), 50 and menopausal, the assumption was type 2. 3 week wait for the first GP diet clinic. When I asked what I should do in the meantime I was told to avoid sugar, carbs and alcohol, which I did. I also maintained the 10k steps a day.
Roll on diabetes clinic, dr advises me to carry on for 3 months managing with diet. (My eyesight has improved by now and I am waking up less often to pee). But gets me a glucose monitor so I can keep an eye on my own sugar levels and learn what foods to avoid. All fine until the nurse demonstrates the monitor and my blood sugar turns out to be 23.5 (2.5 hours after a low carb/ sugar breakfast) and a follow on urine test shows ketones.
Sent to A&E immediately. Blood ketones are borderline. But after a long afternoon and evening of testing I was sent home after having an injection on slow release insulin.
I am now to go back each day for an insulin injection and monitoring. Even with the insulin, my blood sugar this morning before any breakfast was 15.8.
So it’s looking like it’s type 1 but they’re still not sure but I have to be monitored because of the ketones.
I am sure I will find out more, and hopefully take more in once I meet the hospital diabetics team