Handset for Accu check Insight pump discontinued

dje55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I currently use the Accu check Insight and I'm due for an upgrade in the new year. Have been sent a list from the hospital of pumps to choose from.

I'm very happy with my insight, apart from the well known slowness issues with the handset. I am not on large doses so the prefilled 1.6ml cartridge is ample for 3-4 days for me.

Have just discovered that the handset for the Insight has been discontinued. They are moving to a phone app which is still in development. Was told by helpline that I will be provided with an Accu check Mobile meter to use with the MySugr app whilst waiting for the new app. This also means that the boluses and basal insulin will have to be manually inputted - requiring the pump to be retrieved from pump belt inside clothing.

Not sure how I feel about this. And not sure that I trust Accu check to actually carry through and finish the app. Anyone else in the same position?

Also, hate the Accu check Mobile! Big and noisy. Would definitely be using something else!

Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks,
D

dje55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Are you using an Aviva Expert?
xx

No, I have a Libre and use the Accu check combined handset & glucose meter to calculate boluses. Sometimes do the calculations in my head with info from the Libre.

Dustydog

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi all,

I currently use the Accu check Insight and I'm due for an upgrade in the new year. Have been sent a list from the hospital of pumps to choose from.

I'm very happy with my insight, apart from the well known slowness issues with the handset. I am not on large doses so the prefilled 1.6ml cartridge is ample for 3-4 days for me.

Have just discovered that the handset for the Insight has been discontinued. They are moving to a phone app which is still in development. Was told by helpline that I will be provided with an Accu check Mobile meter to use with the MySugr app whilst waiting for the new app. This also means that the boluses and basal insulin will have to be manually inputted - requiring the pump to be retrieved from pump belt inside clothing.

Not sure how I feel about this. And not sure that I trust Accu check to actually carry through and finish the app. Anyone else in the same position?

Also, hate the Accu check Mobile! Big and noisy. Would definitely be using something else!

Any thoughts appreciated

Thanks,
D

Dustydog

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. I've just moved from Combo to Sight pump with the wireless connector and using the mySugr app. The wireless adapter initially didn't work but apparently that was due flat battery and I have reported this to Roche. The app is actually quite good. Apparently the way it should work is that from the Accuchek mobile it wirelessly transmits the data to the app and then the numbers appear on the screen and that's what you enter into the pump. Combing from the Combo I find this to be a bit of a pain at the moment but I do understand that next year there will be something happening that means that it all works via bluetooth. Have to say though at the moment I love the Insight but don't like the manual methods but am hopeful of things improving. I hope this helps you in your deliberations.

dje55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi. I've just moved from Combo to Sight pump with the wireless connector and using the mySugr app. The wireless adapter initially didn't work but apparently that was due flat battery and I have reported this to Roche. The app is actually quite good. Apparently the way it should work is that from the Accuchek mobile it wirelessly transmits the data to the app and then the numbers appear on the screen and that's what you enter into the pump. Combing from the Combo I find this to be a bit of a pain at the moment but I do understand that next year there will be something happening that means that it all works via bluetooth. Have to say though at the moment I love the Insight but don't like the manual methods but am hopeful of things improving. I hope this helps you in your deliberations.

Thanks for your reply. I have loved my Insight and am reluctant to change it, but considering other options.

The manual input is a faff, especially when it's winter and I wear more layers than most

The wireless adapter you mention - is that the adapter for the Accuchek Mobile? I used a Mobile years ago and hated it! I found it clunky, old fashioned and noisy. Was very difficult to do my blood sugar discretely in work - I don't hide my diabetes but in work, I'm very aware that if I test, folk automatically assume I'm low!

I'm now considering a Tandem T slim X2. I spoke with my DSN last week and she told me not to count it out of the running because I can't afford a Dexcom. She reminded me that a lot can happen in 4 years. Our health trust was a very early adopter of Libre for all T1s with no hoops to jump through. Not sure if she was hinting at possibility of CGM....

Thanks again - good to hear from someone who is using the new system.
D

dje55

Type of diabetes
Type 1
So, now I'm back to considering the Accuchek Insight! Just watched a couple of videos on YouTube of how to fill the reservoir on a couple of options - which seems quite a faff compared to popping in a new cartridge and twisting on the new cap with tubing.

Have downloaded the My Sugar app - pro version free to the end of the month. Will see how I get on with it. Don't have to make my decision until the new year.

D

Chas C

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I moved from the Insight to the t:slim, it does take maybe few mins to change a cartridge but its much smaller and lighter. the basal IQ and control IQ options far outweigh anything on the Combo/Insight IMO. I do have the Dexcom.

I would say the the only real differences between the two options without Dexcom is the remote handset on the Combo plus the Combo supports 24 one hour slots for personal profile where t:slim supports I think 20 - so you'll need to average a few over some two hour slots (if you use all 24 on a combo/insight.